Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check to see if bike is stolen before purchase.

Options
  • 09-11-2017 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Is there any viable way of checking to see if a bike is stolen before purchasing it? I have my eye on a 3rd hand touring bike, but having had a decent bike nicked off me and having found it again, (albeit with a person who purchased it in good faith) I'd rather avoid any hassle.

The seller seems genuine, it's just that he never got a receipt off the person he purchased the bike of a year ago.

Just wondering if there's a database that's easily accesible, or if I ring the gardai can/will they access a database for me. (Given that a stolen bike may not be registered with them in the first place).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If it’s not reported to the Gardai and is not registered with the manufacturer (using the serial number) then there is no way of checking.

If the seller seems legit and is willing to give you a receipt stating he/she sold you it fit €X and noting the SN then you have done all you can to ensure it’s legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭secman

I bought a bike recently, seller had no receipt as he got it as a present ,at which my ears pricked up . As it turned out he's a member of Clontarf cc and i got his CI membership details and a signed written receipt from him, all done in his house and have phone records too relating to the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ask the seller a few bike related questions of a technical nature. It's not foolproof but scummers usually don't have a clue about gear ratios etc.

Go to see it in the sellers house - not at a neutral venue. Ask if you can take a pic of it there.

Greybottle wrote: »
    ... he never got a receipt off the person he purchased the bike of...
    secman wrote: »
    .. seller had no receipt ....
    I'm just thinking that I have 5 bikes but only one receipt. It might be awkward if I'm selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm just thinking that I have 5 bikes but only one receipt. It might be awkward if I'm selling them.

Buying one of your bikes would be akin to buying a high mileage ex taxi or Garda car :D

• Advertisement

At least you have the excuse of moving house 10 times in the last year and mislaying receipts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

It might be awkward if I'm selling them.

You, selling a bike - never heard anything so preposterous😉

crosstownk wrote: »
    Buying one of your bikes would be akin to buying a high mileage ex taxi or Garda car :D

I believe one has over 50,000 km on the clock !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

What about checking with bikeregister.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Ask can you drop over to view the bike. If he says he'll meet you in a car park, forget about it.

Anything over e100, I'd want to collect at their house in the evening or weekend. Vice-versa if I'm selling. An exception would be a lunchtime meet, but your hardly bringing a bike into work with you for selling!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have four bikes, and at best one receipt. and one was bought in a car park (albeit from a boardsie).

You, selling a bike - never heard anything so preposterous��
    Sold at least three in recent years* and no 'viewings' were at my abode but that was because I was accommodating the requests of potential buyers. Only one seemed a bit cautious about not having a receipt but he was happy to take a picture of my driving licence.

I bought a fantastic bike off a well known Boardsie a couple of years ago and for very reasonable money and viewed at his own home. Got great use of it since and love riding it.

* bought and sold several more back in the 1980's/1990's but can't really recall the details. It was pre-internet/mobile phone era so presumably it was by word of mouth.

(As a youngster, I recall my mother selling her touring bike via an ad in a local newspaper and getting a bit annoyed by a string of 'tyre kickers' calling to the house. :))

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

homer911 wrote: »
    What about checking with bikeregister.ie

I've done this in the past, looking to buy a bike that seemed too keenly priced. Found it listed as stolen in the blog section of bike register, passed the add details on to bikeregister.ie and the owner ended up getting his bike back.

Rule of thumb is that if the price seems too good to be true it probably is.

Advertisement