Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary CCTV cameras outside Milltown on N17

Options
  • 09-11-2017 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi all, mods please move if in wrong forum. Today on way from Tuam to Castlebar, just outside Milltown I spotted what looked like CCTV cameras on top of temporary poles just outside Milltown village.
    First one was stuck on top of a makeshift pole roughly outside N17 electrical superstore, tied to the 80km/h signpost, facing Galway bound.
    Next one was a few hundred yards along on same side of the road facing claremorris bound, forget what that was tied onto.
    3rd one I spotted also facing claremorris bound but on Galway bound side of the road, a few yards into the new bit of road, it was tied to a signpost and had a brown box on the grass verge at the bottom of it.

Anyone seen them or know what they are for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mad-for-tar

On way home I realised there are 4 of them in total, 2 on Galway bound side and 2 on Claremorris bound side. Those on Galway bound side are just where the wide road becomes narrow and the yellow sign just before the Ballyglass turn off. Those on Claremorris bound side are just after the N17 superstore and somewhere around what I think is the Killerneen turn off on the left.
    Tried to take some pics but focus not great in a moving vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Testing for pop-up Average Speed Cameras maaaybe :eek:

Instead of a camera van just covering one spot, you set up 2 of them yokes and it covers 20 miles of road

When hard-wiring was the only option, instrumentation over such a distance and terrain would have been unthinkable - but now all that is needed is a power supply.

“That’s the beauty of combining average speed and mobile communications; you can position a camera almost anywhere.

Instead of needing to run power and communications cables to the camera, you can position the camera where the power is available and use mobile phone technology and GPS to do the rest,” says Collins.

Average speed cameras (ASCs) cut the number of fatal or serious injury crashes by more than a third.

http://www.itsinternational.com/categories/networking-communication-systems/features/rac-survey-shows-big-safety-gains-with-average-speed-enforcement/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Might be analysing the impact of the new motor way on traffic patterns.

Advertisement