Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Press Council rules that headlines don't have to be true

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Headlines are written by sub-editors who often pick a meaty aspect of the article and write it into an eye-catching headline. In many cases you will quickly determine that the subbie didn't read all of the article.

It happens all the time so I'm afraid I'm with the press council on this one, it's a fact of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

It's the Indo. I'd take everything I read there with a pinch of salt anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

coylemj wrote: »
    Headlines are written by sub-editors who often pick a meaty aspect of the article and write it into an eye-catching headline. In many cases you will quickly determine that the subbie didn't read all of the article.

It happens all the time so I'm afraid I'm with the press council on this one, it's a fact of life.

what lowering standards? i really don't get the logic behind eveybody does it so its ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

coylemj wrote: »

Dishonesty in reporting is never to be condoned.
    They could use a question mark or quotation marks to communicate the ... I don't know .... "element of doubt?"

Dishonesty in reporting is never to be condoned.
    They could use a question mark or quotation marks to communicate the ... I don't know .... "element of doubt?"
    headlines with question marks are nearly as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The adage that the answer to headline formed as a question is always No seems to be entirely true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

Also Mr Hurley must have little to do throwing the toys on that issue!

IRE60 wrote: »
    Also Mr Hurley must have little to do throwing the toys on that issue!
    see this is why I would never complain to the press council because I'd expect personal abuse

Why is the frontpage of national newspaper not something worth complaining over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

see this is why I would never complain to the press council because I'd expect personal abuse

Why is the frontpage of national newspaper not something worth complaining over.

Agreed. The Indo editors must have been laughing their heads off at this Press Council ruling. They will now be thinking nice one, we can write any old lies and the Press Council will give us a pass.

Advertisement