Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Golfer Magazine Top 100 2017

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I am sure there are arborists and green keepers on this forum that know more than I do... but my experience and understanding is that trees removed from the line of play are not going to draw water from the fairway areas. And also the added sunlight and air flow that comes with opening up holes does far more than counterbalance any drainage benefit that may come from them. But happy to learn.

And to offer a counter argument.

I love trees on a course - particularly a Links. There is an obsession in Ireland with taking trees or anything that grows off a Links.

If you have one tree , this raging axe man (one in every club) , will find it and kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

If anyone wants to see why Grange Castle made the list... these may help.

Taken in September: Grange Castle Photographs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If anyone wants to see why Grange Castle made the list... these may help.

Taken in September: Grange Castle Photographs

Looks savage

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Rikand wrote: »
    Looks savage

I played there a few weeks back now for the first time ever and I was very, very impressed. Lovely layout, pristine condition. Up there in terms of value for money for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Keengolfer7

Rikand wrote: »
    Looks savage

I'm not a member but played opens because it's superb value. I think it still has a bad rep from when the council ran it a few years ago. It's a different course now, it could be a brilliant course in a few more years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

My main issue with Grange Castle are a lot of the changes that were made to be honest. There is no doubt that the place is very well maintained & in good condition pretty much year round, but I really didn't like the changes that were made by Synergy once they took up the lease.

They cut away a lot of the planting that had been done in prior years, and which would have given some extra definition with time, and they widened a number of the fairways, which were already very generous to begin with.

It just felt like they were trying to get the place set up for high volume traffic flow, which is fine I guess, given their business model. Its a pay&play & they get a lot of trade via societies & people turning up.

It felt to me, that on Saturdays at least, that the members were really being undermined, as their window for guaranteed slots got smaller & smaller while I was there.

Things may be better now for members, but for me its a place that I don't mind visiting, but would pick a number of other courses in the same vicinity as more enjoyable courses ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

And to offer a counter argument.

I love trees on a course - particularly a Links. There is an obsession in Ireland with taking trees or anything that grows off a Links.

If you have one tree , this raging axe man (one in every club) , will find it and kill it.

That obsession needs to be brought to parkland courses, way too many trees and tree huggers on them.

The sooner they get a chainsaw the better. The blanket planting of dense canopy, shallow rooting conifers done in the late 70s, 80s and into the 90s were nothing but a disaster from a greenkeeping viewpoint, a play-ability viewpoint and a beauty viewpoint.

Advertisement