Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare to Dublin. Which Route?

Options
  • 09-11-2017 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

H All

I will be driving from Rosslare to the sunny North-East of Drogheda next week.

It's been many years since I have been down south. Certainly before the days of Motorways.

I see on google maps they suggest the M9 route through Carlow and Naas and also the M11 through Gorey and Wicklow.

My question is which route should I take? I am more interested in an easier drive on better roads rather than twisty stuff.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Max

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Use the N11, so head from Rosslare to Enniscorthy to Gorey and them onto M11 motorway. Its an easy drive. Then merge onto M50 and eventually M1 for Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Use the N11, so head from Rosslare to Enniscorthy to Gorey and them onto M11 motorway. Its an easy drive. Then merge onto M50 and eventually M1 for Drogheda

+1

N25, Rosslare to New Ross Road Roundabout, then N11 through Oylegate, Enniscorthy, Ferns, Camolin, onto the M11, N11 ,M11, M50 and M1 then you're there !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

M7/M9 much busier and less direct. Take the M11...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Can't understand why you'd go M9 unless you needed to visit New Ross for some strange reason!

N25 from Rosslare to the Wexford ring road, then pick up the M11 to the M50, and from there to the M1

• Advertisement

ezra_ wrote: »
    Can't understand why you'd go M9 unless you needed to visit New Ross for some strange reason!

N25 from Rosslare to the Wexford ring road, then pick up the M11 to the M50, and from there to the M1

It's not all M11 to the M50 unfortunately ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

On google maps Rosslare Harbour to Drogheda :
    • via M11 = 2h 26min
    • via M9 = 2h 32min
    Its really a personal choice .

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

On google maps Rosslare Harbour to Drogheda :
    • via M11 = 2h 26min
    • via M9 = 2h 32min
    Its really a personal choice .

To me once you enter the M11 at exit 24 Clogh its a speedway the whole way to Dublin its like as if its a race to see who can reach Dublin the quickest and then you have sections of the motorway which are 120kmh ,100Kmh 80kmh and in places 60kmh.

My preferred route would be Rosslare, Enniscorthy Bunclody, M9 at tinryland junction and then peace the whole way to the Red Cow. there is only 6 mins in the difference

Navarre wrote: »
    To me once you enter the M11 at exit 24 Clogh its a speedway the whole way to Dublin its like as if its a race to see who can reach Dublin the quickest and then you have sections of the motorway which are 120kmh ,100Kmh 80kmh and in places 60kmh.

My preferred route would be Rosslare, Enniscorthy Bunclody, M9 at tinryland junction and then peace the whole way to the Red Cow. there is only 6 mins in the difference

I don't agree.

I do the N80/N81 route three/four times a week and although I'm going against traffic, you always end up behind something like a log lorry, slow/anxious driver, 132 Bus or a tractor. The N80 is a very busy road, given how small and windy it is.

M11 route means that for most of the journey you are can actually go at the speed limit. Boxing clever when it comes to the M50 exit also helps a lot!

vicwatson wrote: »
    It's not all M11 to the M50 unfortunately ;)

That is between me and Traffic Corp!

In all seriousness though, it is dual carriageway from the M11, which makes it a much more comfortable drive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

ezra_ wrote: »
    I don't agree.

I do the N80/N81 route three/four times a week and although I'm going against traffic, you always end up behind something like a log lorry, slow/anxious driver, 132 Bus or a tractor. The N80 is a very busy road, given how small and windy it is.

M11 route means that for most of the journey you are can actually go at the speed limit. Boxing clever when it comes to the M50 exit also helps a lot!

I travel to the Western Industrial estate from Enniscorthy every week "work related" and to be honest i gave up going the M11, I prefer the M9 and to be fair the road from Bunclody to the Tinryland junction is a pretty good rd these days apart from 1 small twisty stretch near the fighting cocks pub. but once you get on the M9 at Tinryland it is a lot less busier rd than the M11 from Gorey "exit 23" to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Navarre wrote: »

I agree. If I have to go anywhere north Dublin / Airport / M1 I prefer Bunnclody and N9. You can get held up on either route so it is a bit of a lottery at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Advertisement