Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Talented Irish People Who Deserve More Respect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

And Iarla Ó Lionáird from Cúil Aodha, still the most refreshing and creative sound where trad and world music meet.

That scene he appeared in in Brooklyn was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Ding Dong Denny O’Reilly, one of the greatest lyricist the country has ever produced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

My mother loved Brendan Grace. When I was about eight or nine I went with her to see one of his shows. He was doing a routine in which he's a drunk trying and failing to light a cigarette. Some weirdo came out of the audience, got on stage and 'helpfully' lit his cigarette for him even though Brendan Grace kept gesturing at him to sit back down. He seemed to genuinely believe that Brendan Grace was having trouble lighting his cigarette and didn't think it was part of a comedy act. I always wondered about this man and what was going on in his head.

Alcohol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Very true. Two weeks ago a neighbour's 14-year-old child was flown over to Carnegie Hall in New York to play a concert as he is, by all accounts, an incredibly gifted cellist. He was listed as an "International Shining Star" and played with 8 other teenagers invited from around the world. 14 years of age and playing in Carnegie Hall!

Not a word in the media about it so I surmise there are similar feats going unacknowledgrd in other parts of Ireland.

yes, a friend of mine won the Ireland Young Musician of the Year award some years ago, I think there was 2 paragraphs about it in the local weekly paper.
    He is a full time musician based in London now.

In the same town, the local drama circle won first place at the national drama awards (forget the name), and they likewise got a paragraph in the same paper.

I have played music with a lot of really good singers over the years, some are the best you will ever hear, they just didn't have the resources or the breaks that the other singers were lucky enough to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Whoever was behind the secret rte producer twitter account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Jinx Lennon is a cracker!

Obvs nsfw:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

My Bloody Valentine

There seems to be a show on every week on RTE about how great Joe Dolan and the likes were and nothing on genuinely good Irish acts that are very well renowned internationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Stephen Farrelly and Rebecca Quin.

They entertain millions of viewers in the states weekly and yet are probably only known to a tiny percentage of the Irish population.

Fergal Devitt too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Katie Taylor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Conor Cruise O'Brien

Obviouslynot beloved by nationalists or republicans but a supremely talented and erudite writer. Try his "Writers and Politics" from 1965, sublime.

Named by the late great Christopher Hitchens as one of hi favorite writers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

RTE made a documentary about the history of Irish rock music a few years ago and didn't even mention Horslips once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Aidan O'Brien, an all round great person as well as being a genius at what he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

For some puritans, Horslips wouldn't qualify as, real rock music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

& Jim Gavin, 3 All Irelands in a row baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Stephen Roche - won the 3 biggest races in cycling in the same year !

That's a real world champion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Jedward.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Rorys Stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Stephen Roche - won the 3 biggest races in cycling in the same year !

That's a real world champion.

I hate that I'm dubious as to how clean those wins were given his relationship with Michela Ferrari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

croot wrote:
    I dont know how it would stand up to Sucklers but I'm using wood chip this year for the creep in the shed. Straw is €35 per round bale here and cant be got reliably so thats out.

We don't love him enough, but considering the tsunami of lame Irish 'comedy' in the dacades since, we should.

debok wrote:
    Mick Flannery good singer songwriter. Lorcan reidy and Susan o Neill very good musicians in Waterford .

Susan o Neill is from Ennis co Clare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Isa Nacewa....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Most of you will have seen this guy busking on Grafton Street....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

I don't get it. The vast majority of names of this thread have oodles of recognition. People mentioning Michael D, ffs he was elected on the back of his work as a parliamentarian and has such high approval that if he decides to run again most likely no one will run against him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

yabadabado wrote: »
    Anyone know who the poster is refereeing to?

Probably himself: ie Cian Twomey in which case he is very wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Most of us don't live in Dublin Mr Lawlor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Here's a name, Ian McKinley. Played rugby with Leinster. Lost an eye and forced to retire. Wears a goggle protection now, plays in Italy and picked as a sub on the Italian National Team this week.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057736229&page=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

he is brilliant, but probably does better busking than playing the circuit. His sound and playing are phenominal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The vast majority of people seem to respect him...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

They entertain millions of viewers in the states weekly and yet are probably only known to a tiny percentage of the Irish population.

Fergal Devitt too. So what wrestling may be deemed as take and scripted but wrestlers can and will get legitimately injured in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭miss flutter ups

I'll add William Brown and Frank Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Amongst Ireland’s large libertarian movement. At their latest convention in the snug of the worlds smallest pub they issued a string condemnatory statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Lochlan Slow Tack

KKkitty wrote: »
    Fergal Devitt too. So what wrestling may be deemed as take and scripted but wrestlers can and will get legitimately injured in the ring.

What about Sheamus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Lisa o neill,
    Singer songwriter from Cavan.
    Outstanding .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

I cannot believe people have not mentioned a man who was a world famous artist who was at his peak the greatest guitarist in the world. The truly great, the great one and only Rory Gallagher.

People always mention U2 and Van Morrison and other Irish greats but Rory is criminally ignored. The man was the first great real rockstar this country ever produced. Before it was cool or popular to be a pop or rock artist. Rory was the true first one. Him and Van Morriston where the first two great poineers of Irish music. But Van was a little out there. A kind of a Bob Dylan type figure. Creating masterpieces like Astral weeks and Moondance. Rory was an out and out guitar hero. Voted in Melody Makers end of the year poll in 1974 as the best guitarist in the world.

At a time when it was a golden age for rock and guitar music , the late 60s and throughout the 70s. He was a kind of Bruce Springsteen of Irish music, if that makes any sense. He didn't sound like Bruce. But his shows where legendary. And Rory was authentic. Most people join a band for the fame , for the glamour and for the glory. Today for many it's a career option. For Rory it was something he was born to do. He was real. You don't play or write blues music like Rory and not be authentic. Without Rory there would be no U2 ,Sinead O Connor ,Thin Lizzy, The Cranberries or The Frames. Because Rory was the first . Before Rory there was nothing. The showbands ( Rory learned his craft on the showband cuircuit) where great fun and great crack. But they were cover version bands. Rory was the first true artist in the truest sense of the word. He wrote his own and played his own music.

And his first band Taste where the first truly great Irish Rock band along with Van Morrisons Them. Taste were a trio and their debut album is a cracker. They were one of the best live bands at the time. And they played at the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970. The Isle of Wight was the British Woodstock. And after Woodstock , Isle of Wight was seen as the greatest festival of the late 60s and early 70s. 600000 to 700000 fans turned up. Artists like Jimi Hendrix, The Who Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen and many more All time great artists played. Yet which band or artist stole the show?. For people who attended the festival, Rorys band Taste was the standout performance of this legendary festival. This is the moment when Irish rock for the first time had a real impact on the world scene. This is where it all began. From Thin Lizzy and Boomtown Rats on the Top of the Pops . To U2 conquering the world with The Joshua Tree and Glen Hansard winning an Oscar for a song. Van Morrisons Astral weeks and Taste playing at the Isle of Wight is when Irish music first really made an impact outside the country.

For me there are 4 Mount Rushmore type figures in Irish music and they are U2, Thin Lizzy , Van Morrison and last but not least Rory Gallager. All the other three are rightly praised. Rory is less praised. The man at his peak was the best guitarist in the world. Jimi Hendrix was once asked who was the greatest guitarist in the world? Hendrix respond Rory Gallagher. At the height of their powers, when The Rolling Stones were the biggest band in the world and still writing some of the greatest rock music ever. They asked Rory to join their band. Rory declined. People said at the time Rory was to good for the Stones.

In the 70s when this country was an economic social and cultural basket case, one of the few shining lights was Rory. The country was going down the tubes in every sensw in the republic. While there was a sectarian war north of the border. Across the channel the Irish were seeing as a joke with 100000s of Irish Paddy man joke books being sold every year. The Irish were simply hated and seen as a joke and terrorists . Rory Gallagher represented a new modern Ireland. For so many of the that 70s generation Rory is so much loved.

He was not just a great guitar player and a great blues musician, he was also a truly great songwriter. He wrote music that is as good as any from this country right up there with Van and U2. And his music was world class and as good as any music produced at the time. And remeber this was the golden age of pop and rocks finest era. Check out the song I Fall Apart, it is One of the greatest Irish love songs ever written. Other great songs like Tattooed Lady, Blister on the Sun, Philby, Whats Going on, Crest of Wave , Used to be, Shadowplay, Calling Card and many more. One great track after another. And great albums like Irish Tour 74, Live in Europe, Deuce, Rory Gallagher , Photo Finnish and Calling Card. Also he was supposed to be a lovely gentleman. And anyone who met had nothing but praise for him.

While so many artist where influenced by him. The Edge has always maintained that Rory had a massive influence on him. And he was a massive fan growing up. While Johnny Marr of the Smiths was a massive fan. Marr first guitar hero was Rory. And Rory was not a small cult artist. He sold tens of millions of records. He sold 30 million records worldwide. That's more records then Ed Sheeran has ever sold.

Rory Gallagher is simply one of the most talented authentic brillant talents this country has ever produced. He was a real talent . And is a genuine truly great man who doesn't get the credit he deserves. Rock on Rory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What about Sheamus

Aka...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Ronnie Whelan and Dennis Irwin, have seen and done more at the top table of football than Eamon Dunphy could ever dream of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IRSH MAN

Eamonn dunphy....imagine what he couldve achieved if he hadn't spend the last 20 years locked

Eamon is a pedo supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IRSH MAN

Brendan Grace. Consistently funny

We don't love him enough

how fast my brother attacked Brendan because he condemned the murder of Garda Jerry McCabe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Del2005 wrote: »
    Jonathan Rea, triple world champion and never a mention in the press

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Rea

Nationality: British

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

What about Sheamus

He along with Becky Lynch have already been mentioned in this thread. Sheamus's real name is Stephen Farrelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Zag. Zig took all the glory... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Northern Irish, actually. But heck, the Brits like to claim Katie Taylor is british!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

the_syco wrote: »
    judeboy101 wrote: »
    Northern Irish, actually. But heck, the Brits like to claim Katie Taylor is british!
    Also, didn't we win the 66 world cup?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

the_syco wrote: »

Linked wiki page says brit, one assumes he travels under a UK passport, not a 'Northern Ireland' one?

Anyone remember the videos for Michael Jackson "Billie Jean" and A-ha "Take On Me"?

You all do?

Dublin director, Steve Barron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

JP Mc Manus. Rich as shlt but incredibly benevolent with it. Every county could do with one!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Paul Brady, the handball player from Cavan made it on to the 15 greatest athletes of all time list compiled by ESPN.

http://theskinny365.com/2016/02/17/15-greatest-athletes-of-all-time/

Huh, lived with a girl who was tipping him for brief period. Got a fright one morning when I walked in to see him sleeping in our sitting room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Glen Hansard. Song writing genius. For the birds is one of my favourite Irish albums.
    Humble Gent as well.

Fun fact. Met him in Dublin near Christmas few year ago in a bar at the counter. I said love the frames Glen. He said cheers will ya have a pint. I said yep he asked me to join him joined him and his mate and soon cue a mad bender skulling pints on Wexford Street/Camden Street with him and his mate. By virtue of the fact I was getting drunk with him the women hitting on him were doing so to me also as they probably assumed I must be famous as well. Nope just getting drunk with a famous person. Great night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

More so for the younger folk on here;

Enya - one of the highest selling recording artists of all time.
    Credited with effectively creating her own ‘New Age’ genre, and possibly* having a hand in the numerous pan pipes cds you see being sold on your holidays

*may not be true but every time I hear one of those pan pipes cds, I immediately think of Enya.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Eddie Lenihan. Irish Seanchaí storytelling master. Here he is over in Moscow entertaining a shop full of people packed in to see him. Deserves far more respect. Some of his stories would frighten the p!ss out of you. Heard one of the mainstream radio presenters really badly interviewing the man recently, the presenter thought he was interviewing Bosco or some $hit. Anyways, Eddie Lenihan, internationaly famous, real Irish culture living legend.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
Advertisement