Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Talented Irish People Who Deserve More Respect

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Glen Hansard. Song writing genius. For the birds is one of my favourite Irish albums.
    Humble Gent as well.

Fun fact. Met him in Dublin near Christmas few year ago in a bar at the counter. I said love the frames Glen. He said cheers will ya have a pint. I said yep he asked me to join him joined him and his mate and soon cue a mad bender skulling pints on Wexford Street/Camden Street with him and his mate. By virtue of the fact I was getting drunk with him the women hitting on him were doing so to me also as they probably assumed I must be famous as well. Nope just getting drunk with a famous person. Great night.

He must have his on and off days. There's numerous stories about him being a miserable pr!ck in the Rudest cleb you've met thread.

Ipso wrote: »
    Working class as curry sauce, though!

What are you? Royalty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Linked wiki page says brit, one assumes he travels under a UK passport, not a 'Northern Ireland' one?

Northern Ireland is in the island of Ireland. The clues in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

darkdubh wrote: »
    He must have his on and off days. There's numerous stories about him being a miserable pr!ck in the Rudest cleb you've met thread.

If his Oscar acceptance speech is anything to go by then I'd believe this is true

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

buried wrote: »
    Eddie Lenihan. Irish Seanchaí storytelling master. Here he is over in Moscow entertaining a shop full of people packed in to see him. Deserves far more respect. Some of his stories would frighten the p!ss out of you. Heard one of the mainstream radio presenters really badly interviewing the man recently, the presenter thought he was interviewing Bosco or some $hit. Anyways, Eddie Lenihan, internationaly famous, real Irish culture living legend.

Was it "6 Minute Tales" he used to do on RTE in the 80's? Loved that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

dd972 wrote: »
    Ronnie Whelan and Dennis Irwin, have seen and done more at the top table of football than Eamon Dunphy could ever dream of.

Was just about to post about Irwin.

The likes of Beckham, Scholes, Giggs and Butt got all the plaudits. The likes of Keane, Robson, Cantona and Ince got the notoriety but at the same time there was Irwin, a consummate professional, in the background. quietly decorating his own United career with 7 league titles, 3 FA Cups and the European Cup as well as a being a mainstay in the national team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Graham Linehan, writer of three TV shows that are in my top ten comedies

The Walshes was very underrated and it wasn't commissioned, absolute great comedy, it could have been the Dublin Fr Ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Linked wiki page says brit, one assumes he travels under a UK passport, not a 'Northern Ireland' one?

difficult to travel on an northern ireland passport when such a thing does not exist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Glen Hansard. Song writing genius. For the birds is one of my favourite Irish albums.
    Humble Gent as well.

Fun fact. Met him in Dublin near Christmas few year ago in a bar at the counter. I said love the frames Glen. He said cheers will ya have a pint. I said yep he asked me to join him joined him and his mate and soon cue a mad bender skulling pints on Wexford Street/Camden Street with him and his mate. By virtue of the fact I was getting drunk with him the women hitting on him were doing so to me also as they probably assumed I must be famous as well. Nope just getting drunk with a famous person. Great night.

A crusty,a communist and a scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Most of you will have seen this guy busking on Grafton Street....

Eh no..many of us are culchies unfamiliar with the hidden talents of Grafton Street.

To thine own self be true

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

The Virgin Prunes were busting taboos in 80's catholic Ireland like no one else. They're one of those Irish bands who are far more appreciated abroad than here.

Also avant-garde composer Roger Doyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Denis Irwin - top class defender in his day and as reliable as a Nokia. I read a quote from Alex Ferguson where he said he had many players over the years you'd have pencilled in for match day squads but with Irwin you'd write it in pen.

The O'Donovan Brothers - top of their game, of course they do get plaudits but some still see them as "sure they say funny things", there's a huge hunger and drive behind them and the rest of the crew at their rowing club.

Paul McGrath - if he was Italian he'd be talked about continuously. His apparent winning of the battle vs the booze is also incredibly admirable. But I think, as a country, we bury our heads in the sand when it comes to people with demons.

Ian McKinley - lose the use of an eye in a freak accident playing rugby. Moved to Italy and restarted at club level, has worked his way up through the ranks of Pro 12, Pro 14 and European Cup Rugby and should now get his first cap for Italy over the coming few weeks. To get back to any level of rugby, with one eye, playing at Out Half is incredible, never mind powering through the professional game. Best of luck to him, I hope he goes well.

MysticMonk wrote: »
    A crusty,a communist and a scumbag.

you made me think of this

5351.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Really?.
    That night he was soundest man on the planet. Though he was well oiled up!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Kathryn Thomas. Thin she is a fantastic presenter and seems to be able to turn her hand to anything. Also one of the most gorgeous women in the country also helps.

Eh no..many of us are culchies unfamiliar with the hidden talents of Grafton Street.

Use to always say hello to this guy when he was cycling around the Dublin 8 area.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Kathryn Thomas. Thin she is a fantastic presenter and seems to be able to turn her hand to anything. Also one of the most gorgeous women in the country also helps.

She presents airhead tv about losing weight and holidays in the sun, for people who like inane vacuous stuff. She is reasonably pretty.

I'm missing out on the "talented" side...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ugh.

Talent?.

That thick rural Carlow accent sounds terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Talent?.

That thick rural Carlow accent sounds terrible

Have you anything good to say about anyone? There’s such a black cynicism to your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Of all the people mentioned above from Glen Hansard to Kathryn Thomas. Rory Gallagher outshines them all. 30 million records and considered the best guitarist in the world when Hendrix Page and Richards where all on the scene. It would be like an Irish man been considered one of the best footballers or the best footballer in the world along with Messi or Ronaldo. Incredibly underrated. And was really talented. Many of the above mentioned wouldn't have had any of Gallaghers talent. People are mixing up genunine talent with fame and celebrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Water John wrote: »
    Can we make Chris Hadfield an honorary citizen and put him in here?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/astronaut-chris-hadfield-returns-to-ireland-813473.html

Was at that last night listening to him speak would inspire anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

AnneFrank wrote: »
    El presidente Michael D. A cool cat if there ever was one.

He belongs at the end of a rainbow with a pot of gold

It would be worth you listening to his interview with Michael Graham to realize how powerful an orator he his rather than make a comparison to a leprechaun.

• Advertisement

Have you anything good to say about anyone? There’s such a black cynicism to your posts.

If you notice (obviously not) its only "celebs" Im cynical about as 99.9% of them self indulgent vain vacuous people and I have no tolerance for the cesspit that is celeb culture (look at all the abuse coming out now) .

Im very fond of "real" people as such and say good to them all the time. In fact in shops I always make note of peoples name tags and address them by their name and often complimemt them regardless of the day Im having.Often had staff be very surprised and smiling with simply doing that.

Do you do that?. Probably not.
    So yes I do say good, every single day to total strangers.

Are you worried your fave celeb might be offended?. Dont be pal most of them actually have lifes and arent on boards.ie.

anna080 wrote: »
    JP Mc Manus. Rich as shlt but incredibly benevolent with it. Every county could do with one!

In fairness, when you're not paying tax on your income, you tend to have substantially more money to be benevolent about.

Irish billionaire JP McManus 'has paid no tax in Ireland for 20 years'

In fairness, when you're not paying tax on your income, you tend to have substantially more money to be benevolent about.

Irish billionaire JP McManus 'has paid no tax in Ireland for 20 years'

why would a foreign resident pay income tax in ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly.

Ireland's leading bowsie

• Advertisement

that is a peculiarly american rule that all us citizens must pay income tax to the IRS even if they live abroad. Depending on the country they live in they can offset any income tax paid to their country of residence. No such rule exists in ireland.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Er, this is about the supposed generosity of McManus in Ireland, where he pays no tax. At least Mick O'Leary, for all the giving out people do about him, pays his taxes to this state free from the "generous" well-publicised tokenism of tax dodgers like JP McManus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Er, this is about the supposed generosity of McManus in Ireland, where he pays no tax. At least Mick O'Leary, for all the giving out people do about him, pays his taxes to this state free from the "generous" well-publicised tokenism of tax dodgers like JP McManus.

Why would McManus pay tax in ireland if he doesn't owe any?

That would be just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Was it "6 Minute Tales" he used to do on RTE in the 80's? Loved that.

Not too sure Ralf, I think he did do something like that on RTE back in those days!

This is his website here might be more info on that

http://eddielenihan.weebly.com/

This is also a great little documentary from a few years ago on Radio1. He has a recording of an old man, long passed, recounting a story on this. Magickal stuff.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2009/0606/646422-eddie/

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

O'Leary lives here. JP doesn't. how can you dodge something you are not obliged to pay? its not that hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Steve Collins. Completely overlooked in any greatest Irish sports person lists.

Given absolutely no chance in a fight against Eubank, wins and subsequently beats him again and then beats Nigel Benn twice also.

Two of the best boxers of their generation.

bullvine wrote: »
    Steve Collins. Completely overlooked in any greatest Irish sports person lists.

Given absolutely no chance in a fight against Eubank, wins and subsequently beats him again and then beats Nigel Benn twice also.

Two of the best boxers of their generation.

Very good mention here - I think what holds Collins back is that he wasn't media-friendly, I'm not saying that it should matter, but in this day and age it appears that it's not enough to merely achieve something but you also have to whore yourself out to the media, or at the very least remain under it's spotlight, to receive any attention - similar to the way in which Denis Irwin is often overlooked when talking about Ireland's greatest footballers (although I know he has been mentioned here as well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Humble Gent as well.

Have met Glen Hansard twice, about 15 years apart, and both times he was unbelievably sound. First time I was working as a waiter in a restaurant where The Frames were eating before a gig. Jokingly asked if he had a spare ticket on him, and straight away he offered to let me just wander in with the band when they were leaving. Unfortunately couldn't leave work though. Second time was at O'Hare airport in Chicago. Even after a long flight, he chatted away and took photo's with anyone who came up to him in baggage claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Rory Gallagher is simply one of the most talented authentic brillant talents this country has ever produced. He was a real talent . And is a genuine truly great man who doesn't get the credit he deserves. Rock on Rory.

/end thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Very good mention here - I think what holds Collins back is that he wasn't media-friendly, I'm not saying that it should matter, but in this day and age it appears that it's not enough to merely achieve something but you also have to whore yourself out to the media, or at the very least remain under it's spotlight, to receive any attention - similar to the way in which Denis Irwin is often overlooked when talking about Ireland's greatest footballers (although I know he has been mentioned here as well)

Probably the whole beating his girlfriend thing too, amongst other assault charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

John Waters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Of all the people mentioned above from Glen Hansard to Kathryn Thomas. Rory Gallagher outshines them all. 30 million records and considered the best guitarist in the world when Hendrix Page and Richards where all on the scene. It would be like an Irish man been considered one of the best footballers or the best footballer in the world along with Messi or Ronaldo. Incredibly underrated. And was really talented. Many of the above mentioned wouldn't have had any of Gallaghers talent. People are mixing up genunine talent with fame and celebrity.

to his credit Gallagher didnt play the fame game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Just listening to Paddy Casey here and can't for the life of me figure out how he wasn't a global star. Also the Stunning, Something Happens and Whipping Boy should all have be more popular elsewhere.

Someone else mentioned the Frames and yup they are another astounding talent that just don't get the respect they deserve.

Witchie wrote: »
    Just listening to Paddy Casey here and can't for the life of me figure out how he wasn't a global star. Also the Stunning, Something Happens and Whipping Boy should all have be more popular elsewhere.

Someone else mentioned the Frames and yup they are another astounding talent that just don't get the respect they deserve.

speaking of irish bands i could never understand why PictureHouse weren't huge internationally. they wrote really catchy songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The suggestions on this thread have been Decidedly underwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Totally. Rory did not play the fame game. Great quote from the man himself was he had no interest in playing Top of the Pops. He had no interest in the fame game wharsoever. He never released many singles. It was a time when bands like Led Zeppelin didn't release singles either. It's a pity because he had some great potential singles. The song Philby which has one of the best riffs in Irish rock ever , could have been a smash hit. While bands mentioned above like Something Happens Whipping Boy and The Frames produced quality music. And where excellent bands in their own right. I still think Gallagher was a different class.

Ask any guitarist from the Edge to Johnny Marr to Slash and they will rave about Gallagher. Even Hendrix when asked who was the best guitarist in the world, he responded Rory Gallagher. He was also a great songwriter. The Stones were not stupid . They knew when they offered Rory a place in the band, they were onto a good thing. They knew they were getting the best guitarist in the world and a world class songwriter. Rory was right to turn them down. Rory was to nice of a guy to be hanging out with Jagger and Richards.

But think about it, what Irish musician in the last 50 years would have been asked to join (after the beatles )possibly the second greatest rock band of all time other then Rory. The Edge is an astute and intelligent player but not a true great. Van would have have had the voice but not the image. Probaly only Phil Lynott and Rory could have walked onto the biggest band in the world at the height of their powers.

Rory was simply an underrated talented artist. Place any musician or artist up against Rory we have produced in the last 50 years and very few would be better then Rory. Corks finest and Ballyshannon favourite son, Rory was one of a kind.

PS They loved Rory up in Belfast and throughout the North on both sides of the divide. No bands or artists would play in the North in 70s with the troubles. The only one was Rory. To this day he is a legend agmost that generation of music lovers in the North.

Even Hendrix when asked who was the best guitarist in the world, he responded Rory Gallagher.

Think, if memory serves, he was asked what it was like to be the best guitarist in world and he responded: "I don't know, you'll have to ask Rory Gallagher"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Think, if memory serves, he was asked what it was like to be the best guitarist in world and he responded: "I don't know, you'll have to ask Rory Gallagher"

That's a myth. Never happened.

Advertisement