Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teaching activity for AGE of Discovery

Options
  • 09-11-2017 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭

hi i will be having an inspection next week and am looking for any ideas on an in class activity about Ferdinand Magallens voyage? we have it completed now just want to revise it with a debate or something, any ideas that would go well in an inspection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Dickie10 wrote: »
    hi i will be having an inspection next week and am looking for any ideas on an in class activity about Ferdinand Magallens voyage? we have it completed now just want to revise it with a debate or something, any ideas that would go well in an inspection.

Look at how the voyage showed the need for an international date line. Create a numeracy moment based on how the logbook was out by a day.
    Ask the students to figure out was it plus or minus a day.
    Get an interactive map of timezones. Plot the route he took across it. Demonstrate how this results in 'time travel'. They will never forget this discovery. You could also refer them to the book Around the world in 80 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

There is a website online where you can do facebook posts as such from historical figures. If they have access to tablets use this with them and get them to post as Magellan and then Del Cano discussing the difficulties of the trip

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make a one page newspaper page, with different writers from different 'departments'.

Gossip, images, news reports, maps and reviews of places visited, a boat expert reporting on the type of ship, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yes fakebook is great for activity. some good suggestions i like the newspaper one. has anyone ever done anything like, "if you were on board Magallens voyage and made it back to Spain, what advice would you give to the next voyage captain before he sailed around the world?" students will have to recall and reimagine the story of the voyage and retell it as an advisor.
    It brings in Evaluation level 6 of Blooms Taxonomy questions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The cigirí love the old cross-curriculars.
    Box. Ticked.

• Advertisement

i showed them magallens path on google earth, i wanted to show them just how big the river plate is in argentina and how he thought it was the round of the continent. also great to show them just how big the pacific ocean is

geography and history

Dickie10 wrote: »
    geography and history

You could also drag in English, Art and IT for a news sheet.
    Woodwork (ships), Metalwork (weaponry), Home Ec. (new foods), Religion etc.

They might have a breakdown. :)

Advertisement