Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise Pollution

Options
  • 09-11-2017 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭

I live in a rented terraced house in a city centre (not Dublin) and the rented house 2 doors down from us is renovating. Basically they have gutted a lot of the house. There is concrete and household appliances just dumped out the front of their house, not in a skip. This doesn't bother me too much though.

What does bother me is that they seem to be doing all the work at night. A few nights ago they were there till 2am. They were there last night till 12.30am. It's very, very loud. Lots of drilling. Can still hear it even with earplugs! Does anyone know if this is legal? And is there anyone you can actually complain to about it?

Tbh I don't want to say anything to the builders or the people living there as the residents are "dodgy characters" and I don't want to get on their bad side. It's really annoying though. They are never doing any work during the day. Only ever at night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

They are allowed make noise from 8 am to 6pm I believe. But getting the council to do anything about it would be very difficult.

If you fear that the work is not being carried out by 'skilled' tradesmen, and could endanger someones health.

You could report it to the HSA, they are prompt at investigating and shutting down a site, from what I hear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They are allowed make noise from 8 am to 6pm I believe. But getting the council to do anything about it would be very difficult.

If you fear that the work is not being carried out by 'skilled' tradesmen, and could endanger someones health.

You could report it to the HSA, they are prompt at investigating and shutting down a site, from what I hear.

The 8-6 working hours is only a condition of planning, so if the renovations don’t require planning then the council can not enforce this condition on them. It’s hard to prove out of hours working as you physically have to be there to witness it.

If the works don’t have Planning, you can contact the Environmental Health Section of the Council and they can carry out an inspection and issue a warning.

The HSA can be contacted. You need the WSU (Worplace Safety Unit).

Advertisement