If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tv for my Dad (surprise present :D) 55"

Options
  • 09-11-2017 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hello there, 

We're in the market for a new TV for my Dad, who will be getting it as a surprise present. We'd be looking for something in the 55 inch range (upgrading from a 49 inch Phillips that has started breaking down after a long life of service) and I was wondering what sort of deals you would have on TVs in this size range. I see on your website that there is an LG Smart Tv for 579 sterling (sorry I couldn't link the page as I'm a new user) and a Toshiba one at 600. Both seem good, I'm wondering which is better. I hear that LG are making fantastic TVs at the moment too. 

The tv gets good use in our house, on a wide range of shows. Documentaries, sports and a lot of film quality HBO stuff, so a good, clear screen which works with our HD setup (skybox and Netflix) would definitely be a must. 

We've never owned a Smart TV before, so I'm looking to get as good a one as I can afford at the moment (600 sterling would be my ceiling sadly) but I'm hoping to get as much bang for my buck as I can. Is the LG a good one for this price, or is the Toshiba better? Which one would you pick if you had to? Does it have a good interface with Netflix? We watch a lot of Netflix and at the moment I use a Chromecast, which is grand, but a built in system would be better. 

Also, we live down in Galway and would need to ship the TV down here is that an issue for shipping? 

Lastly, because I can't help myself do you have any deals for either of the Tvs above? Looking to get the best bargain I can, and I don't mind ordering and waiting a few days and getting a superior product than heading into town and being ripped off by the chain shops. I'd appreciate any help on this :)

Thank you for taking the time to deal with this, and apologies for all the questions. Looking forward to hearing from you, and thank you again for all the help. 

Chatticus. 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hello there, 

We're in the market for a new TV for my Dad, who will be getting it as a surprise present. We'd be looking for something in the 55 inch range (upgrading from a 49 inch Phillips that has started breaking down after a long life of service) and I was wondering what sort of deals you would have on TVs in this size range. I see on your website that there is an LG Smart Tv for 579 sterling (sorry I couldn't link the page as I'm a new user) and a Toshiba one at 600. Both seem good, I'm wondering which is better. I hear that LG are making fantastic TVs at the moment too. 

The tv gets good use in our house, on a wide range of shows. Documentaries, sports and a lot of film quality HBO stuff, so a good, clear screen which works with our HD setup (skybox and Netflix) would definitely be a must. 

We've never owned a Smart TV before, so I'm looking to get as good a one as I can afford at the moment (600 sterling would be my ceiling sadly) but I'm hoping to get as much bang for my buck as I can. Is the LG a good one for this price, or is the Toshiba better? Which one would you pick if you had to? Does it have a good interface with Netflix? We watch a lot of Netflix and at the moment I use a Chromecast, which is grand, but a built in system would be better. 

Also, we live down in Galway and would need to ship the TV down here is that an issue for shipping? 

Lastly, because I can't help myself do you have any deals for either of the Tvs above? Looking to get the best bargain I can, and I don't mind ordering and waiting a few days and getting a superior product than heading into town and being ripped off by the chain shops. I'd appreciate any help on this :)

Thank you for taking the time to deal with this, and apologies for all the questions. Looking forward to hearing from you, and thank you again for all the help. 

Chatticus. 
    Hi Chatticus,

Between the LG and the Toshiba I would definitely go for the LG. They have better panels and much better smart systems than the Toshibas.

The LG55UJ630 is a decent TV however if you were able to go slightly higher I would go for the LG 55UJ670, the panel has slightly better brightness and does not look as dull as the 630. The best price I could do on this would be £629 and delivery to Galway would be £6.99. This TV has Netflix built in which means you wouldn't need to use the Chromecast for this.

In terms of other TVs around this price, there aren't many in the 55" size until you go for something like the Sony KD55XE7002 at £699. I prefer the picture quality on the Sony TVs as the panels have better colour representation, contrast and brightness. It has a basic smart system (you do not get the Android system built in until you go for an 8 series) but contains Netflix as standard.

I hope you have found this information helpful!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

Hello there, 

Chatticus. 
    Hi Chatticus,

Between the LG and the Toshiba I would definitely go for the LG. They have better panels and much better smart systems than the Toshibas.

The LG55UJ630 is a decent TV however if you were able to go slightly higher I would go for the LG 55UJ670, the panel has slightly better brightness and does not look as dull as the 630. The best price I could do on this would be £629 and delivery to Galway would be £6.99. This TV has Netflix built in which means you wouldn't need to use the Chromecast for this.

In terms of other TVs around this price, there aren't many in the 55" size until you go for something like the Sony KD55XE7002 at £699. I prefer the picture quality on the Sony TVs as the panels have better colour representation, contrast and brightness. It has a basic smart system (you do not get the Android system built in until you go for an 8 series) but contains Netflix as standard.

I hope you have found this information helpful!

Kind regards

David
    Thanks so much for getting back to me David, the LG 670 definitely sounds like a step above with not too much of a price difference for sure. I have a question about another LG I saw on Currys website for 699 euro. The model number isLG 55UJ701V 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV. 

Is this a good tv for the price, and why should I go with you guys over Currys, just for argument sake. I think your 6 year guarantee looks fantastic, I must say. What does that cover exactly?

Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

We have a bit of wiggle room in the budget too, so I don't mind options up to 800 or so. Would Samsung be good tvs also? Picture quality is definitely the defining thing I'm looking for, but an Android smart system seems like a handy option to have also. 

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

We have a bit of wiggle room in the budget too, so I don't mind options up to 800 or so. Would Samsung be good tvs also? Picture quality is definitely the defining thing I'm looking for, but an Android smart system seems like a handy option to have also. 
    Hi chatticusfinch,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

If you are looking for both picture quality and a good smart system I would highly recommend the Sonys. You would be starting off at £949 for the Sony KD55XE8596 however we are unable to ship these TVs at the moment and it would need to be collected from the store. A good alternative would be the Panasonic TX58EX700 at £859:

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202575-viera-tx58ex700b.aspx

This TV has a great panel, fantastic picture quality and a great smart system. It is also a 58" TV. The Samsungs are good TVs but the two frontrunners for me would be the Sonys and Panasonics.

I've had a look at the LG 55UJ701 and it does seem to be a Currys exclusive model. It is quite similar to the 670 however we do offer the 6 year guarantee with all of our TVs. However the Sony and Panasonic TVs above are massive steps above both LGs.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.