Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Act One Scene II - Temple District

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Xanthea, weary from her travels, and waiting for the motley crew to reassemble, finds a quiet corner of the study. Forgoing bedding, which she considers too much of a luxury, she lies back against the wall, letting her eyes close, yet remaining just alert enough to wrap her fingers around her dagger, a habit forged in the wilderness, where sleep was known to be rudely interrupted.

In the centre of the floor Bandylegs is still deep in thought. He lets out a loud bellow as if in pain. And then is quiet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Askit kitchen:
    sKeith wrote: »
    Ekbard does a quick turnabout and enters the door on the right.
    Ekbard finds himself in less a kitchen than a laboratory. Vials and funnels and tubes work their way around what used to be a standard nobleman's kitchen.

Fires of multiple colours erupt from the stoves in intermittent bursts and what seem to be little devils, smaller versions of Xestes, sit motionless in glass beakers.

On the table at the end of the room two vails sit with labels in the common tongue:

"Elixir of calamitous expungence"
    "Concoction of peristaltic shifting"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Ekbard looks for other exits to the kitchen.

Askit study:
    Xanthea, weary from her travels, and waiting for the motley crew to reassemble, finds a quiet corner of the study. Forgoing bedding, which she considers too much of a luxury, she lies back against the wall, letting her eyes close, yet remaining just alert enough to wrap her fingers around her dagger, a habit forged in the wilderness, where sleep was known to be rudely interrupted.
    Askit approaches her.

"My dear Xanthea, maiden of the desert sands, blade of Qwartim, would it be possible for you to assemble this band of indolent savages, so that they may make haste to the tower. With the exception of my fellow Cleric..." he gestures at Moy "...they are difficult to control and prone to death I think.

The Medium, the Elf and the Thief are possessed of a clear mind, but they are...well, lost. For only a while I hope. The mission requires them I fear. Gather the others in the hope they return."

Askit kitchen:
    Ekbard looks for other exits to the kitchen.
    A door to the basement lies concealed behind the pantry.

• Advertisement

Ekbard examines the contents of the pantry.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Bandylegs jumps back in shock.

'You. You're supposed to be dead! I have come for my ancestors shirt! What the hell are you saying? I don't speak that tongue!'

He pauses and thinks for a moment. Then in the kobold language he tries to communicate:

'Can you understand me now?'
    "I cud understand ye before az well. All can understand eachother in the afterlife, itz a metaphor for the commonality of all peoples innit.

And yeah I wuz decapitated but I haz two heads and like itz the afterlife. We Ettin's have one too, overlaps with ye dwarfs one maybe"

He stands now...

"I'm over me dwarf hatin' ways, can I help yiz?"

lOZasv.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Fourier wrote: »
    Askit study:

Askit approaches her.

"My dear Xanthea, maiden of the desert sands, blade of Qwartim, would it be possible for you to assemble this band of indolent savages, so that they may make haste to the tower. With the exception of my fellow Cleric..." he gestures at Moy "...they are difficult to control and prone to death I think.

The Medium, the Elf and the Thief are possessed of a clear mind, but they are...well, lost. For only a while I hope. The mission requires them I fear. Gather the others in the hope they return."

Alas, it appears I have miles to go before I sleep yet.

The dwarf is accounted for, though he looks to be troubled in his sleep, and is not likely to move from here before I return.

I must locate your hot headed warrior, whom muttered something about food earlier. The pantries may be a good start for him.

The halfling? I haven't caught wind of him since my arrival. He could take some finding.

Still, if I can round up one first, that is a good start. Pray tell, Askit, where are the food stores?

Askit kitchen:
    Ekbard examines the contents of the pantry.
    A lot of lizards and reptiles in general, even slices of python. Arranged on plates in slices, clearly for meals.

Still, if I can round up one first, that is a good start. Pray tell, Askit, where are the food stores?
    A murmur comes from under his hood and then "Downstairs, my dear on the right."

• Advertisement

Ekbard takes two plates of the food slices and proceeds out of the kitchen back the way he came.

Xanthea sets off to find the rest of the group, heading for the kitchen as a good starting point to find the hungry Ekbard. Pushing through the door, she almost sends two plates of... something... flying, that was being carried by the warrior.

"Ekbard, my good man. I hope you have found adequate sustenance. That looks *wrinkles nose* appetising. Now, let us gather back upstairs in the study. Askit is a kind man, but it is not wise to go wandering around the mansion. There have been tales that have reached my people of happenings. I can't say they're true, but you can never be too sure."

"Hail big warrior woman, what name do you go by? I'm on my way back to the study now, carry one of these plates for me and let us nourise ourselves while we listen to this Askin' lad. You'd swear he has never entertained guests before."

Hail and well met master warrior! I am Xanthea, Princess of Warrior Ancestors (and not to be confused with Warrior Princesses of a similar name - I'm an original creation like Ricky Rouse or Monald Muck).

You're right, Askit is not used to the entertaining of us mere mortals. Always think he is too much of a big picture kinda guy to notice the small details like feeding guests.

Say, you haven't seen a halfling about, have you. You know the type. Small, could get lost in a cupboard. *Calls out the name "'Arry"*

"No, but I just seen the little fellow, goodenough, hanging around the mansions foyer. "

Ekbard swiftly returns to the study and places the plate stacked high with delicious food stuff onto the small desk. "dig in folks"
    He sits back down in the armchair and enjoys some pyton slices washed down with mulled wine whilst waiting for the gang to reassemble.

Xanthea sighs: "It can be a full time task to keep track of these little folk, but sure, if I can round one up I'll be happy"

Xanthea approaches the halfling...

"My dear halfling, come to the study! There is nourishment being brought up and I believe there is a barrel of wine there too. I would be honoured to hear he tale of how you end up in the house of Askit."

Bandylegs looks at the creature oddly.

'If that's the case, I came for me ancestors shirt. You wouldn't happen to have seen it? I was told it would be here. Why are you out here all alone anyways?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Shadow Plane:...
    There is a room in Askit's mansion on the ground floor, left hand side, that didn't exist in the material realm.

Looking at my situation I realise that I am the tank of the party and that can't be good. There is no fighting solution out of this situation.

I quietly speak with Elin. Did you notice yon room? I'd be interested in knowing what's in there if you manage to get a sneaky peek.

Turning to Whispy I bow ever so slightly in acknowledgement of the creatures diplomacy and speak with him.

I may not have given my full attention to our Elvin history lessons, I was always too easily distracted betting on the footraces and so I ask you to forgive me if my poor education causes offence.
    I, we, have many questions. What are you? And how do we get back to our own plane? Do you know of the Devil who sent us here and of it's plans? Is the hooded cleric Askit of your race perchance?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Elin nods at Saeros and quietly slips away while Wispy is distracted by questions. She heads over to check out the new room on the left hand side.

[OOC: do I need to roll to slip away from the party?]

• Advertisement

"This god's blood, how much of it is there? will we need a carraige to bring it all back for you? what does it taste like?"

"Askit, I hate repeating myself but as this God's blood is important to you and your man soot, it is pertinent that you give me an answer to my query. It seems clear to me now that that creature must have knocked the question clear out of your head so with some reluctance, I'll repeat my query for you.

How many pints of this gods blood do you require? If there 100 barrels of it stacked on the 3rd floor of the tower, do you require only a small vial of it and we leave the rest behind, or do you require all of the gods blood we find?

I don't know much about gods, but I'd imagine if you drained a god of enough blood to kill it, then that blood would probably fill an ocean, but maybe this was some weak & puny god whom no one prayed to.

You say that if we bring you back the blood, then we can keep any other treasure we may find, but what if the blood is so heavy, in order to bring it back to you, we are not able to carry anything else. If we knew the load we were to carry out of that tower, we might be better prepared in what we bring in, extra men, horses, carriages."

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Elin nods at Saeros and quietly slips away while Wispy is distracted by questions. She heads over to check out the new room on the left hand side.

[OOC: do I need to roll to slip away from the party?]
    OOC: I think this is a great time to introduce your thief special abilities.
    Like anybody you can move quietly, and Whispy has a chance to hear you (I roll for him). However you uniquely can move silently as well. It's a percentile skill given on p.13, if successful there is no chance to hear you. Similarly you have a higher chance to hear noises behind doors higher than anybody else.

Shadow:
    OldGoat wrote: »
    Turning to Whispy I bow ever so slightly in acknowledgement of the creatures diplomacy and speak with him.

I may not have given my full attention to our Elvin history lessons, I was always too easily distracted betting on the footraces and so I ask you to forgive me if my poor education causes offence.
    I, we, have many questions. What are you? And how do we get back to our own plane? Do you know of the Devil who sent us here and of it's plans? Is the hooded cleric Askit of your race perchance?
    "I'm a being of shadow, my race originate from here, as your do from the material. Devils I know little of, older members of my race say they sometimes show up here and are to be avoided. People from your plane usually come here after death, often after violent deaths. It is rare for me to encounter a sane material like yourself. I think I know one who has a way out of here, our king. I can take you to his court if you wish?"

Necrominus wrote: »
    Bandylegs looks at the creature oddly.

'If that's the case, I came for me ancestors shirt. You wouldn't happen to have seen it? I was told it would be here. Why are you out here all alone anyways?'
    "Oh, ere you are" and he tosses Bandylegs the shirt.

"I don't know, I been wonerin' for a while why I ended up in yer afterlife. Can I come with yez, there's a dwarf I want to talk to"

Study:
    "Askit, ... If we knew the load we were to carry out of that tower, we might be better prepared in what we bring in, extra men, horses, carriages."
    Askit turns to Ekbard "The more you bring me, the more I'll pay, but the first vial-full will be worth the most. I cannot say how much there will be, but I would imagine enough for several vials, perhaps enough to fill a room.

I understand your apprehension about transport..."

He floats out of the room and returns with a purse of coin

"This is for your group, for the procurement of hirelings, retainers and beasts of burden."

The purse contains 1000GP.

"Oh, ere you are" and he tosses Bandylegs the shirt.

"I don't know, I been wonerin' for a while why I ended up in yer afterlife. Can I come with yez, there's a dwarf I want to talk to"

Bandylegs thinks about this for a few moments.

'Well, my ancestor reckons you're his bane, and told me your were dead. I think I'd like to see the look on his face when I come strollin in with his shirt, and you beside me. Why ever not?'

Bandylegs picks up the shirt and puts it into his backpack.

'Come on then, I feel my time here is short.'

Bandylegs leaves the shack and begins to head back towards the bridge.

Dwarven Afterlife:

The Ettin follows BandyLegs

"Zorumur's da name pleased to meet ya..." he marches ahead of BandyLegs across the bridge and waits for him on the other side.

Bandylegs carefully crosses the bridge, eyeing the rope and checking for loose boards, and follows the Ettin.

'Pleased to meet ya, Zorumur. I be Bandylegs McGillicuddy, son of Brandywine McGillicuddy, fervent worshipper of Vergedain. Are you hungry by the way lad? There's an assortment of food up yonder passage way if you need sustenance.'

Dwarven Afterlife:

Zorumur, excited at finally eating for the first time in half a millenium marches up the central chamber and returns as BandyLegs crosses the bridge.

"Oy, wat did ya say yer name waz?"

• Advertisement

Bandylegs eyes Zorumar cautiously.

'Bandylegs McGillicuddy. Does that mean something to you? It should given my ancestor sent me to get the shirt you gave me earlier. I'd be careful storming around like that lad. There's traps everywhere in this place.'

Advertisement