Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Act One Scene II - Temple District

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fourier wrote: »
    In Vergadain's temple:

If you're travelling to the Blight Mountains at any point, I have heard there is a local saint in the village of Thurmunton whose blessing can empower any dwarf, or a human if he has received training in the arts of war for their own sake.

The blessing would be good enough, but as a fellow worshipper of Vergadain, I must tell you a wealth of treasure lies in the saint's tomb. Vergadain loves a successful thieving my boy.

OOC: "received training in the arts of war for their own sake" is in-game speak for the Fighter class.

Bandylegs eyes light up.

'My friend, you have made Bandylegs an incredibly happy dwarf on this day. Perchance should I stop by the Blue Mountains, I will be sure to stop in and.. ahem.. alleviate the saint of both his blessing... and his treasures. Rest assured my friend, if the rumours prove true, I shall return and improve our surroundings for our shrine. This is my aim, you have my word.

Now, can you point me to your store my friend. I have equipment to gather!'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Outside Temple of Kastra:
    However, some training would not go astray, I will accept your invitation to a duel. Here and now, or someplace quieter?"
    "In a room in our temple. Follow me."

He leads you into Kastra's temple, which is surprisingly poorly adorned, they really do take poverty seriously. You enter a room with several men in tatters. There is a circular dip in the floor at the room's center, which the Cleric enters.

He calls other worshipers to him:
    "My brothers, Kastra calls us to poverty to focus the mind on divine combat, so that we may one day be the gates that prevent the fall of man. Today I prove my prowess in arms.

Let us begin."

OOC: He gets initiative 2, what's yours DS?

Vergadain's temple:
    Necrominus wrote: »
    Now, can you point me to your store my friend. I have equipment to gather!'

"Yes, just this way"

The store lies on the rich end of the temple district, close to the temple of Soet himself. And an impressive store it is.

"Vergadain's rules prevent me from improving the temple I founded myself. I'm glad to have found another. Please enter"

OOC: In the store Gear is 20% cheaper than the price in the rules, but armour and weapons are 10% more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 The Soup King

Back in the middle of the temple district:

Castius smiles. "Thank you gallant halfling, your kind is unequaled in pipelore."

He takes a quick puff

"You're kind is trusting and peaceful my father used to say. Soetrard changed any of that for you?"

"It certainly has. This world you big folk have built its a cruel place. I mean no offence to you sir but greed, corruption, unbalance, destruction of nature these things are common here. I grew up in a tribe of halflings in the heart of a great wood far from here, sharing and communitie that was are way... but my tribe is gone now only I am left. "

Arry stops speaking for a moment and takes a deep draw on his pipe.

" I am trusting I am peaceful, it's in my very blood to be that way. It's just I am more careful with whom I trust, as for peace I believe in balance and some deserve no peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Outside Temple of Kastra:

"In a room in our temple. Follow me."

He leads you into Kastra's temple, which is surprisingly poorly adorned, they really do take poverty seriously. You enter a room with several men in tatters. There is a circular dip in the floor at the room's center, which the Cleric enters.

He calls other worshipers to him:
    "My brothers, Kastra calls us to poverty to focus the mind on divine combat, so that we may one day be the gates that prevent the fall of man. Today I prove my prowess in arms.

Let us begin."

OOC: He gets initiative 2, what's yours DS?

OOC: I rolled 6. I can't remember if that's good or bad.

I follow him into the dip, slowly pulling my staff out from behind my back, and take stance.

• Advertisement

Bandylegs wanders around the store, selecting items on his list. He loads them onto the counter in front of his new found friend:

He has selected a backpack, 5 preserved rations, a set of Iron spikes, 2 wineskins and 2 pints of wine to the value of (OOC: I think) 10 gold and 8 silver pieces.

He eyes a hand axe behind the counter longingly.

'Praytell, friend. Is there anything special about that axe there that would convince me to part with my coin. I can't help but notice that while some of your wares are favourably priced... the weapons and armour appear to be of higher value.'

OOC: I rolled 6. I can't remember if that's good or bad.

I follow him into the dip, slowly pulling my staff out from behind my back, and take stance.

OOC: You go first. He's a level 2 cleric wearing basic leather, hence AC 8. You're level 1 cleric, so looking at the table on p.60 you need to get 11 or better on a d20 to hit. Remember to subtract 1 due to your low strength.

Necrominus wrote: »
    'Praytell, friend. Is there anything special about that axe there that would convince me to part with my coin. I can't help but notice that while some of your wares are favourably priced... the weapons and armour appear to be of higher value.'
    "Extra resilient, like us dwarfs!!" he thunders.

OOC: The weapons will survive two fumbles, e.g. rolls of 1 which might break a weapon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

* ekbard sets the barrel down in the middle of the temple and start selling the wine from the barrel, avertising to fill an empty wineskines for 3 silver coins*

Ekbard mutters to himself "hmm, If I sell the remained of this wine, I should have another 50GP, that'd be nice".

Ekbard shouts loudly, "Get the finest healing wine here, cures all ailments"

OOC: FIRST CRIT :D

• Advertisement

OOC: Double damage, Quarterstaff does 1d6, go for it!:D

sKeith wrote: »
    * ekbard sets the barrel down in the middle of the temple and start selling the wine from the barrel, avertising to fill an empty wineskines for 3 silver coins*

Ekbard mutters to himself "hmm, If I sell the remained of this wine, I should have another 50GP, that'd be nice".

Ekbard shouts loudly, "Get the finest healing wine here, cures all ailments"
    OOC: Which temple is this being done at?

"Extra resilient, like us dwarfs!!" he thunders.

OOC: The weapons will survive two fumbles, e.g. rolls of 1 which might break a weapon.

Bandylegs smirks.

'Good enough for me, friend. Can't blame a dwarf for asking! ;)

Very well. I'll take that axe. And also that fine hammer beside it.'

Bandylegs tallies the total in his head as 13 gold pieces exactly. he prepares to hand over the coin.

OOC: oh, just out in the middle of temple district. where the guard bloke left us off. near the makeshift newspaper stand temple thing.

OOC: oh, just out in the middle of temple district. where the guard bloke left us off. near the makeshift newspaper stand temple thing.

OOC: Cheers thanks. I'll need an intelligence check to see if you can figure out the correct cults to sell the wine to. Ability check again, roll under or equal your intelligence, but it's a bit hard, so actually intelligence - 2, i.e. 10

At temple district center:

OOC: For others result was 17

Ekbard attracts the attention of a stern faced cleric.

"Do you realise how many of us view the mere sight of wine as offensive?"

Castius notices this and moves his hand slowly to his scabbard.

"hello dear cleric, i am ignorant to your ways about here. How many of you folk are offended at the sight of wine?"

Kastra's Temple:

The Cleric is stunned as Moy moves before he even gets his mace into attack position, he braces for impact as he sees the quarterstaff close in on his face...

OOC: Last thing I'll deal with before bed. Moy got a 6 on his damage roll. Combined with the critical, that's 12 damage. DS, that's enough to outright kill him or you could pull the blow, your decision.

Ekbard mutters to himself. "gohram nosy bloody clerics. If the sight of wine offends them, then why confront somebody selling gohram wine. its not like you get to see the wine when i'm just filling folks waterskins. Mind your own blooming business and sell holy relics or whatever..... ruh rah ruh mfff pffst"

Ekbard pulls down the sign, slumps down beside the barrel and begins to drink his own inventory.

OOC: I think my encumbrance is at +1, 7 items (same as Moy I think)

• Advertisement

Having handed over his coin, Bandylegs bids farewell to his new found friend.

'Fare thee well. Thank you for the information, and my new axe!'

With a skip in his step Bandylegs leaves the dwarven store and steps out into the sunlight and bustling streets. He blinks his eyes twice to adjust to the glare and eyes the temple of Soet with disdain.

'Another false idol. This place is full of them!' *spits on the street*

He carefully places his newly purchased items in his backpack, except the axe which he hangs from his kilt. He slings the backpack onto his shoulder and takes off in the direction of...oh dear.

It appears Bandylegs is lost. He knew how to find Vergadain, but the district is quite vast and appears to be far from where he was due to meet his companions.

Pulling the purple token that Castius gave to him a while back from under his kilt, he approaches a merchant trader - who seems to be a relative level of normal.

'Afternoon, sir. I appear to be lost.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Elin cautiously looks about Donnie's shop in awe. She's never seen so many weapons in one place before. She shyly approaches the counter and timidly asks the shopkeep, "excuse me sir, would you have a small weapon that would suit a person such as myself? Something easily hidden but good for protection?"

The shopkeep produces a delicate looking dagger from behind the counter for Elin to try out. It's perfect. Short and sharp with a vicious looking double edge and a handsome leather handle. Elin grasps it and tries out a few stabby motions with it. She smiles eagerly. The shopkeep chuckles and shows her how to hold it and attack. He nods, "tis a good blade and will serve you well miss. Nothing fancy about it but if it's protection you're after, this will do the job. It's yours for 3 gold pieces."
    She grimaces, "Ok, I'll need some better armour to protect myself too. Would you have anything that would fit?"

He rummages around in the back for a while and pulls out a set of leather armour. "This is halfling armour but I bet it would fit you perfect miss".

She dons the armour which does indeed fit. The shopkeep shows her how to stow her blade in a hidden pocket in the right sleeve and how to get it out quickly without cutting herself. Elin hands over the 9 gold pieces and hesitates.

"Just one final thing before I go, would you happen to know where a lady with special skills would come about a set of tools that might be useful for eh....... helping a person to obtain entry to forbidden rooms?"
    The shopkeeper eyes Elin with a keen eye and smirks "ahhhhhhhh I thought as much. I might have such tools here but I have to warn you they're costly. And they're not for novices now."
    Elin balks "I'm no novice sir, I've been well trained by a master thief and know my trade well. I lost my last set of tools to the City Watch only a few days ago and I'm in sore need of a new set before I start my next job. I'll pay whatever price necessary for a good set."
    The shopkeep slides a black roll across the counter to Elin. She inspects the tools and nods. "These will do nicely. Thank you sir." She pays the 30 gold pieces and thanks the shopkeeper warmly.

She heads out of the shop with her head held high looking splendid in her new armour and heads back to the centre of the district where the guard wait. She stops at a cart to pick up some rations and stows them in her backpack. She leans against a wall and watches the crowds milling around while waiting for her companions.

Kastra's Temple:

The Cleric is stunned as Moy moves before he even gets his mace into attack position, he braces for impact as he sees the quarterstaff close in on his face...

OOC: Last thing I'll deal with before bed. Moy got a 6 on his damage roll. Combined with the critical, that's 12 damage. DS, that's enough to outright kill him or you could pull the blow, your decision.

OOC: Thought non-lethal would be assumed, sorry.

I stab at his face. He quickly juts his head to the side, meaning the staff narrowly misses his nose and instead makes contact with his cheekbone. With a crack, his neck snaps back and he slowly begins to topple towards the ground.

When he eventually hits the deck I'll walk over and offer him a hand up.

ekbard does an inventory check.

leather armour (worn)
    sword (in hand)
    waterskin full of wine (worn)
    rope (worn)
    backpack 27/40 lbs max (worn)
    - 2x large sack 1 lbs
    - 5x javenin 10 lbs
    - 6x perserved rations 6 lbs
    - shield 10 lbs

money 11gp 6sp

Ekbard is still guarding his prized barrel of wine which still has > 100 pints of wine left in it.

Ekbard thinks he would like to find out what this mission that cassious wants to send us on will entail and specialize further purchase towards that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

*Having discovered that if you pull the handle the metally bit comes out of the leathery bit, Mauler selects a long sword and a shield and brings them to the counter to pay. *

"You look fierce with that sword, son. Off adventuring?" Donnie asks.

"Aye, summat like that."

"Thought so. That'll be twenty gold"

*Mauler swallows hard at the thought of handing that much coin over; his nerves get the better of him as he fishes out his pouch, spilling gold across the counter. Donnie's fingers twitch unconsciously.

"You know son, even an accomplished adventurer like yourself takes an edge of a sword or the point of an arrow. Perhaps you'd be interested in our range of armour? I have a wonderful mailshirt just your size, it'll turn a blade as easy as that chin of yours turns a lady's head."

*The links jingle as Mauler shrugs into the mail. It's a perfect fit.*

"How much?"

Donnie smiles. "Can you put a price on your life? This isn't an expense sonny, it's an investment. One you'll reap the rewards of a hundredfold. This will be the best 70 gold you'll ever spend"

Mauler convulses out of the mail as if it were electrified. Donnie's distaste is palpable. He gestures at a rack of padded jerkins. "Perhaps /they/ might be more to your taste..."

At 4gp they most certainly are. He adds a dagger, which he slips in to his right boot and a pair of javelin. Nearby there's a helm - the nose guard is embossed with a stylized image of the the fire ox (always his favourite of the heavenly herd) and the symbol of the Herdmother engraved along each earguard. This will make her proud.

"So that's 2 blades, 2 pointy sticks, the shield, the cow hat and your battle pajamas. All in, that's 39 gold"

Mauler flashes his most convincing smile. "My companions and I are undertaking a great experition for The Temple, one for which we'll be richly rewarded. On our return I'm sure we'll remember any friendship or kindness that.."

Donnie interrupts him with a laugh and pokes him hard in the shoulder, knowing that most of the force will be felt through the light padding.
    "Son, you ain't coming back."

Ducking back out on to the street, now at least looking the part of a warrior, Mauler seeks out a general store, filling a backpack with 2 large empty sacks, a crowbar, 24 torches, a Flint and steel and a waterskin. He's down to coppers by this point. Filling his waterskin at a fountain he makes for the centre of the temple quarter.

Ooc : encumbrance-wise, depends on whether a Flint and steel is big enough to count (it's smaller than a spoon!), Whether empty sacks count and whether 2 javelins count like 2 swords or 2 arrows.

Also, I'm on my phone, can someone check my maths? Think I'm on 49 gold, 8 silver spent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

"Or if you're looking for safety, how about this for 15GP", this time he points to an iron padlock with a key.

Alexander: You know what? i will take that lovely looking lock. My magical senses are telling me that perhaps it might come in handy!

Alexander hands the 15 gold pieces over to his new found friend, and bids him farewell.

Alexander spots other shops he wishes to visit, and goes into each one, gathering himself a variety of items needed for his upcoming adventures; some preserved food, a backpack and waterskin, a Quarterstaff carved from the finest wood he can afford, a selection of preserved foods, and a beautiful Ink and Quill set.

That leaves him with one final item needed; a spell book. He remembers the directions the guard offered him earlier and makes his way towards the magical door located in the tree . . .

=============
    (OOC: Lock, and the other items mentioned total at

Preserved Food x 10 - 5 gp
    Quarterstaff - 2gp
    Waterskin - 1gp
    Backpack - 2gp
    Lock - 15gp
    Ink and Quill - 8gp 1sp

Total - 33gp 1sp.)

Temple of Kastra:
    OOC: Thought non-lethal would be assumed, sorry.

I stab at his face. He quickly juts his head to the side, meaning the staff narrowly misses his nose and instead makes contact with his cheekbone. With a crack, his neck snaps back and he slowly begins to topple towards the ground.

When he eventually hits the deck I'll walk over and offer him a hand up.
    The Cleric laughs, "I was a bit cocky I have to admit, perhaps I haven't truly relinquished all I thought."

He walks out of the temple with Moy back to the streets and looks at the sky. "Nír, I honestly proclaim your servant has proved his worth and Kastra I admit I have not given up my pride, most likely this caused my failure..."

he pauses

"...or it was my opponents skill which did it, the blessings of Kastra upon him"

Moy is aware of a divine energy passing over him

OOC: The Blessings of Kastra allow, once per five levels, the character and others in his vicinity to be saved from death provided they forgo some reward of great monetary value.

No worries, I knew you meant non-lethal, but Basic D&D sort of has no "non-lethal" rules, so the player just chooses upon success when there is a chance that might have been their intent. It was only added as an actual rule in AD&D

Carrador's Tree:
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    That leaves him with one final item needed; a spell book. He remembers the directions the guard offered him earlier and makes his way towards the magical door located in the tree . . .

The tree pulses with magical energies, this much is obvious to any magic user. More surprising some of them are extraplanar, the interior does not exist in this plane of reality.

A voice whispers "Come on in young Medium"

OOC: A Medium is in-game for a Level 1 Magic User.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Carrador's Tree:

The tree pulses with magical energies, this much is obvious to any magic user. More surprising some of them are extraplanar, the interior does not exist in this plane of reality.

A voice whispers "Come on in young Medium"

Alexander enters, nervously. He has never felt or seen anything like this, and the energies feel powerful, enough to overwhelm him if he does not keep his wits about him.

Alexander: Um. Hello? I'm looking for some magical supplies and was told that this was the place to go to.

• Advertisement

Carrador's Shop:

Alexander feels a faint nausea as he enters the door, a small bit of fog clouds his vision as he is taken into the Etheral Plane before another wave of energy passes over him and he enters the shop's demiplane.

The interior is a tall circular building six levels high with spiral staircases. Tome upon archaic tome line the multifloor shelves filling the shop. Gaps between the books are filled with magical trinkets. One in particular, a snow globe, has a warning sign beneath it saying "do not shake". Occasionally a book floats across the room to refile itself, or a book phases into existence on the shelves. A deeper look reveals that behind each book is at least a hundred others.

The owner, Carrador, floats down from the sixth level where he was speaking to a customer with six arms and a face like an eel. He is a typical Wizard in appearance, with a brown cloak and a full white beard.

"Greetings boy, sorry for the hassle of moving you between worlds, but I prefer the shop to be here. I only go to the material world when I have to, you see I don't age here.

So what are we looking for, passage to a plane beyond? Spells? Take your time, a year in here is a day out there so you certainly aren't delaying anybody"

OOC: If this post is confusing see D&D Cosmology

Advertisement