Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Act One Scene II - Temple District

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Alexander: A spell book! Something for me to write my magic in. I might have no instincts with weapons, but I know if I can find the right spell book, and whatever else I might need on my adventure, I can contribute just as much as the fighters!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Carrador's Shop:

Carrador smiles

"Should be easy enough, a simple request as far as ones in our field go."

He opens a small portal to his right and reaches in, pulling out a purple tome with cursive handwriting on the cover saying 'Grimoire Alexandrí'.

He opens it and discharges a blast into the first page. His expression then turns serious.

"A free spell my boy, you'll need it I believe. You're off to see Askit the Cleric. At last years Sopspeak I felt a large enough surge of divine energy, so Soet probably spoke to the council for real this time and I think I know what he said..."

He looks like he is about to say more, but relaxes his features and simply says

"Those religious types do not have an objective view of our world, remember that"

OOC: The free spell is Feather Fall, for Your Level x 10 seconds an object, player or NPC falls like a feather.

Merchant stall outside the temple of Brobun, a Frog god
    Necrominus wrote: »
    Pulling the purple token that Castius gave to him a while back from under his kilt, he approaches a merchant trader - who seems to be a relative level of normal.

'Afternoon, sir. I appear to be lost.'
    The Merchant turns annoyed

"Lost that's interesting, but I'm not a bloody..." sees the token "oh, diplomatic passage, fair enough where is it you're trying to go?"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bandylegs frowns at the trader.

'Diplomatic passage? I don't follow. I'm just trying to find Donnie the Discount Elf's Weaponoporium. I have to meet with some companions there.

As you can tell I'm sure, I'm new to this city. Any advice or rumours of note i should be aware of?'

Center of Temple district
    sKeith wrote: »
    Ekbard pulls down the sign, slumps down beside the barrel and begins to drink his own inventory.
    The Cleric isn't leaving this.

"Sir Guard" he calls to Castius "This is a flagrant affront to our cult, wine cannot be consumed on an even numbered day in spring, Nistia forbids it"

Castius simply rolls his eyes "Enough Master cleric, there's a faith where any given thing is offensive, the man can have the wine here provided he doesn't sell it"

The cleric marches off unimpressed.

Castius looks as if he is about to turn around, but then stops and addresses Ekbard

"How did you get that wine exactly?" he asks somewhat confused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Ekbard explains to Castius "The bar wench gifted our table two barrels of wine. One, for one of our group who the wench had a liking for, all for himself, and one for the rest of us. As the rest of the gang were happy to leave it behind, I thought we might need it for our journey, so brought it along."

Brobun's temple
    As you can tell I'm sure, I'm new to this city. Any advice or rumours of note i should be aware of?'
    The merchant looks like he is suppressing annoyance, "I suppose I have to answer" he mumbles. Putting on a fake smile he says "Rumours, hmmm, well the Monastery of Trasca was apparently destroyed by lightening. It's far out on the road to the Blight Mountains past Thurmunton. Nothing major here in the city itself. Come on to Donnie's"

He leads Bandylegs fairly swiftly to Donnie's

"Here you are, anything else?" he looks eager to leave.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bandylegs eyes the trader warily.

'Something wrong with you? You could do with some quiet prayer to calm you down, you seem to be in a rush all of the time. I suggest the monument to Vergadain. Pray there once daily and good fortune will come your way. Just as it did to me. Thanks for your assistance laddie.'

Bandylegs waves curtly at the trader and heads into the store.

He looks around and sees a few of his companions still perusing the wares within. He notices the shopkeeper eyeing him.

'You must be the discount elf I heard so much about. Tell me, what sort of a discount can I get on that?'

He points to a suit of studded leather armour behind the counter.

Center of Temple district:
    The bar wench gifted our table two barrels of wine. One, for one of our group who the wench had a liking for, all for himself, and one for the rest of us. As the rest of the gang were happy to leave it behind, I thought we might need it for our journey, so brought it along.
    Castius laughs, "Definitely some enchantment there, that tavern wouldn't normally give away alcohol."

He looks around:
    "Yourself, the halfling, the thief and the fighter with a thirst for coin are here. We'll just wait for the others"

'You must be the discount elf I heard so much about. Tell me, what sort of a discount can I get on that?'

He points to a suit of studded leather armour behind the counter.

OOC: Donnie has been played purely by you guys so far, want to continue? Of course I don't mind either way.

• Advertisement

OOC: I don't mind, I was just fishing for a further discount :P

Donnie's:

"Discount? Well..."

He passes into the backroom

"I have this set, studded leather just like that one only 15GP. Only drawback is, well, err...it's sort of cursed. Rare curse though, specific triggers, all in the leaflet you'll get if you buy it."

Bandylegs smirks.

'Cursed? Pah! I'm blessed by Vergadain, the Dwarven God of luck and wealth. 15GP you say?'

Bandylegs passes over the coin.

Donnie's:
    "Excellent here's the armour and here's the leaflet, I got it from an auction sale from a Warlock's family. This is the armour of the cleric who killed him, he cursed it with his dying breath"

Leaflet:
    Armour curses those within it to undergo 'Blink' near higher divine sites.
    The family of Ambusis the Necromancer accept no responsibility for harm to or worship services missed by any subsequent owners.

As Ekbard drains his last drop of wine from his waterskin, he then refills it once again from the barrel. He turn to the others in his small group and says "if you want anything harder whan water in those empty waterskins of yours, take your fill, i'm going to have to abandon what I cannot carry before we start out into the wilderness."

Bandylegs throws on his new armour, shoves the leaflet in his backpack and heads to the meeting area.

He spies Eckbard to one side still nursing his wine barrel and squats down to speak to him.

'Hey, wanna know a secret? If you help me out I'll cut you in on any profits. I'll explain more when we get on the road.'

He then gets back up and goes over to Castius.

'Hey, Frilly Knickers, I'm back with all my gear and praying done. Listen, about this token... someone mentioned something about diplomatic immunity... Care to explain that to me?'

"The token is given to foreign diplomats, members of the various trading guilds are ordered by the city council to assist anybody in possession of one. You're not a diplomat, but well I thought it'd be the easiest way to get you to a shrine"

Fourier wrote:
    "The token is given to foreign diplomats, members of the various trading guilds are ordered by the city council to assist anybody in possession of one. You're not a diplomat, but well I thought it'd be the easiest way to get you to a shrine"

Bandylegs eyes the token.

'I'll be holding onto this so. Who knows when it might come in handy. You know, you're not too bad Frilly Knickers... once you get past the fancy garb and the la-di-da speech. Tell me, do you know anything about this quest? Not the finer details.... but the location. Does it take us past the Blight Mountains per chance?

I heard word of a...uh... saint in those parts I'd like to pay me respects to.'

Does it take us past the Blight Mountains per chance?

I heard word of a...uh... saint in those parts I'd like to pay me respects to.'
    Castius swallows hard.

"I believe it does, you may have to cross the mountain range if I understood Askit correctly. Via the road to Thurmunton or the road through Cantry, which ever ye take. Those roads join at the Blight mountains.

The actual destination lies in the wrecklands"

OOC: The wrecklands are the ruined areas left over from the ancient magic war.

"Castius, how many days travel is that?", "sounds a bit more that all of us initially expected!"

• Advertisement

Castius:
    "I haven't traveled outside the city much myself, born and bred here, but it should be a day until you reach Thurmunton, another day to reach the Krasten Forests. The forests themselves I know take four days to cross, then you're at the Blight Mountains which take...."

he looks around at another guard

"Geraldus? The mountains?"

Geraldus:
    Geraldus looks up.

"Oh, five days typical weather or so my father would say"

Castius:
    Castius continues

"So that's 11 days in total to reach the wrecklands, with a typical load"

OOC: Typical load is encumbrance 3.

Bandylegs looks up at Eckbard.

'Fear not. We should hear what this cleric has to say and then weigh up our options. I will say, passing through Turmonton may give us the opportunity to further equip ourselves.'

The dwarf then beckons Eckbard to one side out of earshot of the guards.

'I will explain more later as I told you but when we discuss the route to travel you should support my wish to go through Turmonton. Trust me when I say it will be worth your while.'

Ekbard heeds the tiny mans words.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Lost in the temple quarter, Mauler finds himself again at the rather shoddy shrine to Suja. Emboldened by the anonymity afforded by his new headgear, he enters, struts down the central aisle and sets 4 coppers upon the 4 teats of the main chancel. He then bathes his dagger blade in the Mothers milk and offers the traditional prayer, to the four oxen of the Herd, to the Herdmother herself, to the Wild Bull who ensured their continuity and to the earth on which they stood.

OOC : I'm not saying you *have* to do some evil genie **** to the dagger, but this is your shot, Four :) I'm jealous I don't have an underlined location heading! Also, oxen aren't inherently male, I googled it. Twice! /Ooc

Exiting the shrine, he sees the dwarf and rough-houser conversing sotto voce. He has no time for wine drinkers. An old saying in the Township advises that which didn't kill you needs another 2 months in the cask. And that Dwarf can't even breathe without alerting the next town over. He realizes, without having a name for them, that his neck has hackles. Something is afoot. A calm veneer is paramount!

"Fail mellow hell wet!" He calls, muttering "**** **** ****!" as he draws closer.

Ooc: good internet acquaintances don't let internet acquaintances role play drunk. Not judging you. Just sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Fourier wrote: »
    Castius:
    "I haven't traveled outside the city much myself, born and bred here, but it should be a day until you reach Thurmunton, another day to reach the Krasten Forests. The forests themselves I know take four days to cross, then you're at the Blight Mountains which take...."

he looks around at another guard

"Geraldus? The mountains?"

Geraldus:
    Geraldus looks up.

"Oh, five days typical weather or so my father would say"

Castius:
    Castius continues

"So that's 11 days in total to reach the wrecklands, with a typical load"

OOC: Typical load is encumbrance 3.

Elin quickly realises her mistake and shoots into the nearest shop to pick up a wineskin and some preserved rations. She hastily shoves them into her backpack.

[OOC: Assuming someone hasn't spent that spare 10GP I donated to the group? I need 5GP back. :o]
    sKeith wrote: »
    As Ekbard drains his last drop of wine from his waterskin, he then refills it once again from the barrel. He turn to the others in his small group and says "if you want anything harder whan water in those empty waterskins of yours, take your fill, i'm going to have to abandon what I cannot carry before we start out into the wilderness."

Elin then take's Ekbard's invitation and fills her waterskin with wine from the barrel.

[OOC: Not sure about the encumberance thing but I'm so far holding a dagger up my sleeve, and a backpack containing 5 fresh rations, 2 preserved rations, thieves tools and a waterskin. I think that's +1 for me?]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I follow Elin into the bustle of the streets but soon lose sight of her in the throng. Oh well, time to wander. I ignore the shrines, temples, mosques, churches, alters and other distractions. Moving through the market area I pick up various bits and pieces that I'll need, bargaining with the merchants, cajoling those unwilling to lower their prices. In the end I have some second hand lather armour, backpack rations, 2 wine skins, the stuff on my shopping list. I buy a serviceable though poor quality short sword and an almost true spear with a dull spearhead. Should be good enough for poking at things.

I notice Alex leaving from the Oak Tree through the magic door and head over there myself to replace the spellbook and to grab some ink & quills. Although I'm still a novice magic user I am old and have been through shops like this on many occasions with other elves and am not phased by the phasing between planes. Even the tattered second hand spell book with most of it's pages torn out is a bit more costly that I anticipated and I have to dig into my gambling pouch to make up the difference.

On exiting the shop I look at my meagre remains, a measly few silver and copper pieces and then I listen for the distinctive sounds of a backstreet cockfight where I can idle and while away my time waiting for my newfound troupe to gather together again.

OOC I forgot to add the spellbook to my original list so that along with the inks will push my encumbrance from two to three.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Bandylegs dips into a general traders and picks up another 6 preserved rations and shoves them into his backpack. (OOC: 2 GP I think so that puts me at 20 GP remaining)

He wanders back down to where Castius is standing and looking a little impatient now.

'On your advice lad I stocked up on some further rations. I don't have fancy tastes like some of these others so the basic military rations will sustain a man of my mediocre living.'

Bandylegs sits down beside Ekbard and starts to plot how to convince the others to stop off in Thurmonton.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Fourier wrote: »
    Carrador's Shop:

Alexander heeds the words to be wary of religions carefully. He's never been the religious type, and was always suspicious of those who were overly pious anyway. And yet the words he hears feel oddly prophetic. He makes a mental note to remember them should he come across any such types in the future.

Alexander: Thank you for the book and thank you for the free spell. And thank you for the words of wisdom.

He prepares to leave the shop, but one final question crosses his mind.

Alexander: Earlier, when the guards came looking for adventurers, one of them had a blue stone that glowed when it got near me. A magic detector? I've never seen one before. It worried me. Do you know where they might have gotten it? Or is it dangerous?

OOC What season is it? That is something which our character should inherently know, and it seems foolish to ask somebody that in order to gain the knowledge.

• Advertisement

OOC: It's Mid-Spring

Advertisement