Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning, women forced entry into house in Skerries

Options
  • 10-11-2017 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Just a warning for everyone.
    On Wednesday afternoon two women forced their way into my parents home in Skerries. They tried to rush past my mother saying they needed the toilet and made for the stairs. She has a downstairs toilet which she sent one too, the second woman then said she needed water and tried to get my mother to the kitchen. Mam started screaming at them and thankfully she eventually got them out of the house. She said they then went down the road knocking on all the other doors.
    The Gardai were called and took a statement, it was two women dressed in black and they looked alike. I understand this had happened a few times in the area and they will likely try another town soon.
    Mam is extremely traumatised by this and I am posting as a warning to others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

That's terrible, sorry to hear. Very strange too.

Did they actually take anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Were they irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

No, they didn't take anything...she got them out before they got into any of the rooms. Apparently they try to rush up the stairs on the pretence of needing the bathroom and rummage through the bedrooms. They may be hitting towns on the train line.
    Just be careful of opening the door to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sorry to hear that. I know your mum & I hope she's OK.

Thanks...she's very shocked but we are all amazed that she got then out, I inherited my "mouthy bitchiness" from her. Just a warning to NCD be aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Why on earth do people still answer knocks at their front door. It's either ring me beforehand or fcuk off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Why on earth do people still answer knocks at their front door. It's either ring me beforehand or fcuk off

Post man, kids friends, neighbour pointing out I hadn't locked my car....an offer for low utility bills...your right, they should all **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

What if they don't have your phone number? Out of credit, dead battery? Christ people are so timid.

Gerry T wrote: »
    Post man, kids friends, neighbour pointing out I hadn't locked my car....an offer for low utility bills...your right, they should all **** off.

I don't want to know. Call before you come anywhere near my house.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    What if they don't have your phone number? Out of credit, dead battery? Christ people are so timid.

If they don't have my number then I definitely don't want them near my door. Out of credit? I didn't realise you were posting from 2002.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

If they don't have my number then I definitely don't want them near my door. Out of credit? I didn't realise you were posting from 2002.

No one you know has a payg phone? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Open the door on the chain or from a side window and shout what do you want, don't open the door completely.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gerry T wrote: »

Yep pretty much the same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

If a burglar knocks and doesn't get an answer, the door will be kicked in in short order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

pablo128 wrote: »
    If a burglar knocks and doesn't get an answer, the door will be kicked in in short order.

+1.

If you have no way of knowing who's at the door - spy hole etc., then be very wary of just not answering in some form. ( shouting hello; turning on lights etc.)

Speaking from personal experience, where I ignored the doorbell and next thing heard a downstairs window smash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 knowledge88888

Feel angry at this scum of the earth people. Old people being attacked in fact anyone being attacked. Its sickening that this scum walk streets and when caught get slap wrist. Im well able to handle myself if they would just try it on me they would get proper justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

tringle wrote: »
    No, they didn't take anything...she got them out before they got into any of the rooms. Apparently they try to rush up the stairs on the pretence of needing the bathroom and rummage through the bedrooms. They may be hitting towns on the train line.

Id say they had a car waiting on them , common tactic used by Burglary gangs, ring front door bell, no answer, break in back door/balcony.

My estate was hit last year and they were travellers, 2 were caught, team of 4 .

November always sees a peak in Burglary's leading up to the Xmas season.

I have the front door on a chain all the time and dont answer door to anyone I dont know

pablo128 wrote: »

That's why my alarm is set when I'm in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I never answer the door. Call me what you like, but I am heartily sick and tired of all the utility companies, the Jehovahs, the chancers and so on. So I just left the bell push there but it is disconnected now.

Anyone who wants to see me will call me from outside or when they are on their way. They know what I am like!

Other than that the rest of them can all feck right off.

Thanks all for the replies...Mam wanted this as a warning for other vulnerable people in NCD and else where. She normally doesn't open the door at all but it was a strange set of circumstances that led to the door been opened, she thought it was a family member who had called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

The depths skangers will sink to know no bounds. Thanks for the heads up, we have friends in skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

tringle wrote: »

Terrible for anyone to go through this. Hope your mother is ok and gets over this.

It is a time of the year where we need to be vigilant and keep an eye on neighbours especially our elderly folk. Keep an eye for strange cars hanging around and maybe get a few numbers in your phone of an elderly neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Gerry T wrote:

Yes, they should.

We have no bell and the porch is locked all the time. If some persistent fecker knocks loud enough for me to hear I just open the hall door and say no thanks while they try to open the porch door!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Hitman3000 wrote:

It's nothing to do with being timid for me, I just have no time for strangers looking for stuff from me. If I want to switch providers I'll let them know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

For our generation yes. Wouldn't come naturally to hers.

Op one of those old fashioned chains on the door is good to stop this type of thing. A panic alarm or panic button with monitoring service - some very reasonable cost eg www.homecaretechnologies.ie/index.php/blog/40-panic-buttons-for-the-elderly

Advertisement