Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value printer?

Options
  • 10-11-2017 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I am looking for a decent budget value printer. I have no idea on them.

I have work laptop and will buy/build a PC for kids in next 12 months.

I have access to printers in work but would be handy to have on at home for the odd print job.....

Would like one that I can get the ink cartridge refilled but is that still ok to do?

Thanks for advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

The best value is to get a laser printer... toner lasts forever, and you don't need to screw around with your ink drying up. Inkjets unclog their nozzles by pissing ink through them. And printer ink costs more than gold. The only reason to get an inkjet is to print photos, but unless you're printing a huge number of them, it's probably cheaper to just pop to the chemist and do them on the machine there. That was my main complaint about inkjets... you leave them sitting for a few months and the heads get all clogged up. My laser printer is happy enough to sit for months unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

+1 on the laser, if you don't mind black and white printing. Fast printing and very good quality. One thing to factor in is that toner is pretty expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

toner lasts forever,

Toner lasts a long time (depending on how much printing you do), but it does not last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

The key here is choose based on the price and volume of your printing and the cost of consumables. Do not base your decision on the price of the actual printer, all domestic type printers are sold at a loss, they get the money back on ink.

Personally I am using HP instant ink, for me based on the consistent volume of printing I do it is a good deal and very convienint, but if your printing volume is erratic, then it is not for you.

Total cost of ownership is the key, not just the cost of the printer itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Are there any thoughts on this printer? Pro/Con? Thanks

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/brother-hl2340dw-monochrome-wireless-laser-printer/318517/400.0.2

I have extremely light printing needs ..... can go for months without printing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

towger wrote: »
    The key here is choose based on the price and volume of your printing and the cost of consumables. Do not base your decision on the price of the actual printer, all domestic type printers are sold at a loss, they get the money back on ink.

Personally I am using HP instant ink, for me based on the consistent volume of printing I do it is a good deal and very convienint, but if your printing volume is erratic, then it is not for you.

Total cost of ownership is the key, not just the cost of the printer itself.

Thanks, I might print 1-2 times a year. Would an inkjet cheap one not do the job?

Can you get refill for inkjet?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Thanks, I might print 1-2 times a year. Would an inkjet cheap one not do the job?

Can you get refill for inkjet?

Cheap inkjet ..... about €50

At your usage the ink cartridge will need replacement or at minimum some work to get the ink flowing again on each use and that might or might not be successful when you need it most.
    Advantage ... those cheap inkjets include a reasonable scanner.

Are there any thoughts on this printer? Pro/Con? Thanks

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/brother-hl2340dw-monochrome-wireless-laser-printer/318517/400.0.2

I have extremely light printing needs ..... can go for months without printing anything.

That model states "Starter toner cartridge", i wonder how much toner that is?

and its 64 to 94 for replacement toner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

johndoe99 wrote: »
    Toner lasts a long time (depending on how much printing you do), but it does not last forever.
    Agreed. I was just being hyperbolic, and expected it would be read as such. /shrug

• Advertisement

That model states "Starter toner cartridge", i wonder how much toner that is?

and its 64 to 94 for replacement toner

I don't know about the 'starter' cartridge - did not notice - but

EDIT: included cartridge seems to be 700 page from what I have found here
    https://www.brother.ie/printers/laser/hl-l2340dw

the 1200 page cartridge is ~€48 or less
    https://www.huntoffice.ie/brother-tn-2310-black-toner-cartridge.html
    http://www.vikingdirect.ie/en/brother-tn-2310-original-toner-cartridge-black-p-6903423

This would make me wonder
    Compatible Operating Systems Mac OS X v10.6, Lion, Mountain Lion

No Windows, No Linux compatibility? No thanks. ;)

This would make me wonder

No Windows, No Linux compatibility? No thanks. ;)

It does support Windows and Linux:

https://www.brother.ie/printers/laser/hl-1110

It does support Windows and Linux:

https://www.brother.ie/printers/laser/hl-1110

Much better and as one would expect ....... seems Harvey Norman needs to get its act together and put up correct info. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

You have a basic choice....buy a (cheap) inkjet printer and get screwed on the ink or buy a (more expensive) laser printer and pay a fraction of the cost per page for printing.

You can also refill toner cartridges for laser printers quite cheaply. I tend to get three fills out the cartridge in my Brother laser...the cartridge costs about €60 but the refills cost about €12 each, so I get about 7800 pages for around €84 before I see any deterioration in print quality...

However, if you're just printing a few times a year, that doesn't really make sense..you might be as well off with the cheapo inkjet...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

buy the cheap inkjet that you can either buy refills or compatible cartridges for them and you also get a copier and scanner built in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone recommend an all in one colour laser for home office use? Or even a brand I should look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

Still confused.. laser or ink. Prissed off with dry heads on my kodak. Want one i can rely on . In frequent user. Can i clean the heads and if so how. Backed up with unusrd cartridges..prefer to do that than new machine.. hears about hp3630 . My use is 6 times year photocipy Ike to wifi scan if poss any advise

Advertisement