Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming pc advice

Options
  • 10-11-2017 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I'm looking to buy son a gaming pc for xmas .He wants to play Minecraft on it and was wondering if this would be good enough as I'm absolutely clueless about the gaming world.he is only 9 years old.what would ye think about this gaming pc on Amazon.
    Fierce EXILE RGB Gaming PC Desktop Computer Bundle - Fast 3.9GHz Dual Core AMD A-Series 7400K - 1TB Hard Drive - 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM / Memory - AMD Radeon R5 Integrated Graphics - HDMI, USB3, Wi-Fi - 24X DVD/CD Drive - Perfect entry into PC Gaming - Windows Trial included - Keyboard and Mouse, 21.5-Inch Monitor - 3 Year Warranty - (406350)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

At 9 years old you're better off just getting him a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pnugent

At 9 years old you're better off just getting him a console.

He has Xbox 360 and Nintendo switch.he has his heart set on gaming pc.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Have you thought about building one with him? Could be a little project you could do together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Without getting technical, it'll just about run minecraft, and little else. The negatives, weak cpu with weak graphics performance. On the positive side, it is a full bundle (though Windows Trial sounds dodgy) with Wi-Fi support.
    You can get a better experience (and price) by buying an ex-business machine and then the monitor and keyboard/mouse separately.
    There are a lot of options on adverts: e.g. http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/dell-i5-desktop/14140466 (just the first one i saw)
    For minecraft, you shouldn't need to worry about graphics cards for a while.

It's worth your time and money to shop around on this. Though do look for sellers that will do warranty. The one I linked doesn't, and there are other places to buy these machines.

I do like Mickeroo's idea though. Make it a project! We can give you a list of items to look for here with no bother. While a PC looks ridiculously complex, it is no more difficult than flatpack furniture or a simple lego set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends on the price whether it's OK value for money but it is a very poor gaming PC. It would play Minecraft OK but it's not very upgradable at all for newer and more intensive games as the CPU socket is totally outdated.

You would be better off buying an i3 based machine to start, it's more than twice as fast, way more upgradable and you can add a graphics card later if/when needed.

What's the budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Pnugent

Depends on the price whether it's OK value for money but it is a very poor gaming PC. It would play Minecraft OK but it's not very upgradable at all for newer and more intensive games as the CPU socket is totally outdated.

You would be better off buying an i3 based machine to start, it's more than twice as fast, way more upgradable and you can add a graphics card later if/when needed.

What's the budget?
    Budget wise hoping to get pc and monitor for under 450 .just don't want to spend a fortune on something that might just end up sitting alongside Xbox and all other gadgets gathering dust....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭John mac

something like this would suit you so .
    I bought a laptop from them , ( so did my father in law ),
    v happy with the service they give .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

A raspberry pi is also an option, if a little complex for a 9y/o. Much cheaper and a challenge! Can play Minecraft on it too, if a little tuned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

John mac wrote: »
    something like this would suit you so .
    I bought a laptop from them , ( so did my father in law ),
    v happy with the service they give .

That is very expensive for what is an old (albeit still capable), 2nd hand machine. You would get the same model and spec on Ebay for €150.

• Advertisement
Advertisement