Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to composting, can I use peat ashes? Any other advice?

Options
  • 10-11-2017 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, I'm about to start my first compost bin; I've read bits and pieces on the internet about what to put in and it's location.

I read that coal ashes are not good, but I couldn't find any information about peat ashes, so wondered if anyone has any advice?

Or if you have any other tips for starting a compost bin please let me know; thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ashes won't really help the composting process, and i'd be concerned about them turning the compost heap too alkaline.
    coal ashes are not good due to being toxic, with chemicals which are not found in peat ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 emeraldeye

ashes won't really help the composting process, and i'd be concerned about them turning the compost heap too alkaline.
    coal ashes are not good due to being toxic, with chemicals which are not found in peat ash.

Thanks very much, looks like they're going in the black bin then ;) unless there's some other use for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not really, they are extremely fine and tend to turn to slime if they get wet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could sprinkle them around the garden, but you don't want to create piles.

also, the only good thing about turf as a fuel is the smell.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I may have a go at sprinkling them around the garden sometime, but I'll make sure it's not too windy ;-)

Also, I think I'm going to get an ash vacuum cleaner aswell, as emptying the ash pit usually ends in a sand storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Peat ash adds potassium to the compost heap. Provided it's not huge volumes it's as good as any plant ash.

Peat ash adds potassium to the compost heap. Provided it's not huge volumes it's as good as any plant ash.

Thanks that's interesting, perhaps a little in the garden and some in the compost may be good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I sprinkle it around my raspberries and shake a little into the compost, or over a recently planted area. Its true about turning to a slimy slab if a big lump of it gets wet. But it tends to vanish, will be gone this time next year.
    If you're in a bogland area, there's something nice about returning the minerals to where they came from. Use it to fill in holes of hedges, etc.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I sprinkle it around my raspberries and shake a little into the compost, or over a recently planted area. Its true about turning to a slimy slab if a big lump of it gets wet. But it tends to vanish, will be gone this time next year.
    If you're in a bogland area, there's something nice about returning the minerals to where they came from. Use it to fill in holes of hedges, etc.

Thanks, I think I might store the ashes somewhere (dry) in the meantime :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

A small amount of peat or wood ash is ok, forked into the compost. you can scatter it over beds, particularly those you are just about to dig. The potassium helps many plants.

Advertisement