Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denied increment as I had not passed the H&S exam

Options
  • 10-11-2017 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Hopefully someone can clarify this for me. I applied for incremental credit from a few years ago when I was teaching with a conditional licence from the Teaching Council. They rejected me on the grounds that I was unqualified until I passed the History and Structure exam later on. Is this correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What type of school, VEC/ETB?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

When did you qualify. From 2013 (I'm almost 100% sure) you have to have the dip for any school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This has been the case for a few of my colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

I had a PGCE from the UK but did not complete the H and S exam until 22 Sept 2011. They are denying the time of 2008-2009. I left Ireland after this and returned 2 years later. I have received credit for the 2 years that I worked abroad. The school where I worked in 2008-2009 was a private school in Dublin.

It seems a little odd that they will recognise my experience abroad but won’t recognise my experience within Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Without the exam you are technically not fully qualified for the irish system as you have a shortfall. You were qualified for work abroad. Only qualified service counts for incremental credit.

• Advertisement

Without the exam you are technically not fully qualified for the irish system as you have a shortfall. You were qualified for work abroad. Only qualified service counts for incremental credit.

Thanks for the clarification. I suppose I should be happy it’s only 1 year that I’ve lost as annoying as it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

cmssjone wrote: »
    I had a PGCE from the UK but did not complete the H and S exam until 22 Sept 2011. They are denying the time of 2008-2009. I left Ireland after this and returned 2 years later. I have received credit for the 2 years that I worked abroad. The school where I worked in 2008-2009 was a private school in Dublin.

It seems a little odd that they will recognise my experience abroad but won’t recognise my experience within Ireland.

You were qualified to work in the UK. You were not qualified to work in Ireland. Why would you expect to be paid the qualified rate for a year when you were not qualified?:confused:

You were qualified to work in the UK. You were not qualified to work in Ireland. Why would you expect to be paid the qualified rate for a year when you were not qualified?:confused:

I would have expected the PGCE to be recognised in Ireland just as the H Dip is in the UK. To be denied an increment on the basis of not having taken an exam that has no actual use in the classroom seems disproportionate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

cmssjone wrote: »
    I would have expected the PGCE to be recognised in Ireland just as the H Dip is in the UK. To be denied an increment on the basis of not having taken an exam that has no actual use in the classroom seems disproportionate.
    Welcome to the joys of the Irish Ed. system.

Advertisement