Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can staff in revenue office be trusted on advice?

• 10-11-2017 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I have been in the UK for all of 2016 working as PAYE over there.

I had rental income in Ireland for 2016.

I went into tax office to fill out form 11, fill out rental income minus expenses etc and as I was about top enter the UK income for that year I was told that i didn't need to as I was not resident in Ireland for 2016.

Since then I have been told that I should have filled in UK income but some posters in accountancy forum.

I called back revenue who told me that I should have filled it out and then called them back again and asked them to check with a supervisor and they said that i didn't!!!

I know I just need to get myself a good accountant which I am going to do in a few weeks (loads on my plate at the moment)

Can anyone please confirm that the supervisor is right and that I don't have to fill it out as i was not resident in Ireland for all of 2016?

very frustrating to get contradictory advise from the same tax office!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

fisher8181 wrote: »
    I have been in the UK for all of 2016 working as PAYE over there.

I had rental income in Ireland for 2016.

I went into tax office to fill out form 11, fill out rental income minus expenses etc and as I was about top enter the UK income for that year I was told that i didn't need to as I was not resident in Ireland for 2016.

Since then I have been told that I should have filled in UK income but some posters in accountancy forum.

I called back revenue who told me that I should have filled it out and then called them back again and asked them to check with a supervisor and they said that i didn't!!!

I know I just need to get myself a good accountant which I am going to do in a few weeks (loads on my plate at the moment)

Can anyone please confirm that the supervisor is right and that I don't have to fill it out as i was not resident in Ireland for all of 2016?

very frustrating to get contradictory advise from the same tax office!

If you are a non resident landlord then tax at the rate of 20% should have be withheld by the tenant or your representative and remitted to Revenue each year on a RF185.

If you are are submitting an income tax return in the UK and paying tax on the Irish property there then you would still need to submit a Form 11 in Ireland to claim a rebate of the tax withheld in Ireland. This is so you are not subjected to double taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭thomlin

In short no.

Unless you have an official document from the revenue advising you to not include documentation of income etc then take it as not having received advice.

In business as in life the onus of responsibility is on those who commit to paper.

I would advise speaking with your accountant rather than the revenue for such matters as they are acting with your best interest at heart.

All the best,

Tom

Advertisement