Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blakestown secondary or riversdale community college

Options
  • 10-11-2017 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi,
    wondering if anyone has any knowledge of these schools and which might be better?

My child has the option of either and we arnt sure if there is a big difference between them as anyone we ask only seems to know how they were many years ago.

Logistically Blakestown is closer and much easier to get too so just trying to get opinions on either school.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Neither. Hartstown or Coolmine if you can get them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

not in the catchment for either of those unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gio2

Coolmine take kids from outside catchment as do hansfield. They would be better options.

Thanks Ill try put his name down in Coolmine so, no harm in trying

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Heard that Riversdale only had a handful of new students this September gone! Lot of them went too the new school in Trylesstown.
    If it’s a toss up between them both I would go Blakestown.
    But try Coolmine or Hartstown.
    Also another school due Open up in the village ( tempry) . Edmon Rice they’re still waiting for land to build.

Btw!! For what year this for ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

glossy wrote: »
    Heard that Riversdale only had a handful of new students this September gone! Lot of them went too the new school in Trylesstown.
    Also another school due Open up in the village ( tempry) . Edmon Rice they’re still waiting for land to build.

Edmund rice school is currently in tyrellstown isn't it?

for next September's first year class, I didn't realise Riverdale was having trouble getting students but that does make sense as we arnt in the catchment for it but we had no problem getting a place there. It's within cycling distance where as blakestown is walkable.

January wrote: »
    Edmund rice school is currently in tyrellstown isn't it?

Yes, Temp.. I’m aware as they’re going to use the prefabs in mill rd next year. As a friend got their child in for next year.

ameee wrote: »
    for next September's first year class, I didn't realise Riverdale was having trouble getting students but that does make sense as we arnt in the catchment for it but we had no problem getting a place there. It's within cycling distance where as blakestown is walkable.
    I was surprised about river dale as well, not as good as it was.
    Phone Coolmine on Monday. We’re the same as you as it sounds. And mine got into Coolmine for next. We went to in roll my child the Tuesday as child not in feeder school. And there wasn’t that many for the entrance signing in .
    Like I said , and others parents I spoken of in your/mine shoes Tryelltown and lutterstown and Edmon rice taken in a lot.
    So hopefully for you they’re is a spot opened or at least they will put your child on the cancellation list.
    All the best let us know how you get on.

I was surprised about river dale as well, not as good as it was.
    Phone Coolmine on Monday. We’re the same as you as it sounds. And mine got into Coolmine for next. We went to in roll my child the Tuesday as child not in feeder school. And there wasn’t that many for the entrance signing in .
    Like I said , and others parents I spoken of in your/mine shoes Tryelltown and lutterstown and Edmon rice taken in a lot.
    So hopefully for you they’re is a spot opened or at least they will put your child on the cancellation list.
    All the best let us know how you get on.

I'll do that tomoro thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Yes, Temp.. I’m aware as they’re going to use the prefabs in mill rd next year. As a friend got their child in for next year.

Could have potential. But experienced teaching staff are currently not applying due to the hours advertised.

Hi thought I'd quickly update for anyone interested, I put his name down with the hundred euro deposit just after starting this thread and I've just today had a letter in to say he has gotten a place in Coolmine. Thanks again for the advice.

Hi thought I'd quickly update for anyone interested, I put his name down with the hundred euro deposit just after starting this thread and I've just today had a letter in to say he has gotten a place in Coolmine. Thanks again for the advice.

Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Good choice :cool: Although, as an ex-pupil, I might be biased ;)

Advertisement