Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic tax question please!

Options
  • 10-11-2017 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Basic question but let's say you're a single person and you earned say 55k last year in PAYE employment.

You also made 4k profit in a side business last year.

Do you get a tax credit for the PAYE employment of 1650, AND a 1650 credit as a self-assessed tax payer also?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

No. You should be filing an income return to include both PAYE income and extra income.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

No. You should be filing an income return to include both PAYE income and extra income.

Thanks, that's what I thought and what I was doing, but it was giving me a tax payable figure of around 2k. I would have thought that the tax due would be max 800 (20% of 4000), unless it's simply the case that because the 4k is on top of my PAY earnings, it's taxed at the higher 40% rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

route9 wrote: »
    Thanks, that's what I thought and what I was doing, but it was giving me a tax payable figure of around 2k. I would have thought that the tax due would be max 800 (20% of 4000), unless it's simply the case that because the 4k is on top of my PAY earnings, it's taxed at the higher 40% rate?

This

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

This

Dang! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

So in the IBAN field of the bank accounts area on ROS, there are 9 boxes in which to fit an IBAN, which is obviously way more than 9 characters.

Any ideas on why they have designed it this way??!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

There is actually way too many boxes rather than too little, 4 figures go in each box.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

phormium wrote: »
    There is actually way too many boxes rather than too little, 4 figures go in each box.

Irish IBAN are shorter than some other countries ros leaves space for the maximum IBAN length as it's an international system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Well there's the answer! I was wondering were they allowing for some other system or an increase in the length of our numbers.

Advertisement