Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident-how will premium be affected?

Options
  • 10-11-2017 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭

Coming out of work reversed into car. At the time I felt I was at fault and said I’d look after repair. Other driver during exchange of details mentioned she was texting her son at the time!!! Anyway, I went home. Then, my boss rang me to say that witnesses (I don’t know them) came to the workplace saying it hadn’t been my fault! Needless to say this has thrown me more than the tip. Anyway, If the damage is big, how will it affect my next renewal? I have had no claims in a 16 year driving life and have NCP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Whatever you say at the say at the scene of an accident is not admissible as you are deemed to be in shock. Leave it to your insurer. Independent witnesses are great but if the other party considers you liable and lodges a claim, it will have to be investigated to a conclusion. A lot of that depends on how strongly she wishes to pursue it. An insurer can dismiss any liability on your behalf, but you can't stop a 3rd party taking legal action.

Unless protected, your bonus will be adjusted until it is resolved. On success, any additional premium charged will be refunded

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Whatever you say at the say at the scene of an accident is not admissible as you are deemed to be in shock. Leave it to your insurer. Independent witnesses are great but if the other party considers you liable and lodges a claim, it will have to be investigated to a conclusion. A lot of that depends on how strongly she wishes to pursue it. An insurer can dismiss any liability on your behalf, but you can't stop a 3rd party taking legal action.

Unless protected, your bonus will be adjusted until it is resolved. On success, any additional premium charged will be refunded

Thanks Sue Pa Key Pa

Just checked my policy. It’s comprehensive including full bonus protection. If I go through insurance to fix other drivers car, do I lose my No Claims Bonus (*9 years)?

honeybear wrote:
    Just checked my policy. It’s comprehensive including full bonus protection. If I go through insurance to fix other drivers car, do I lose my No Claims Bonus (*9 years)?

Fully protected bonus means you will still get the full discount on your insurers scale . However, an alternative insurer at renewal is not obliged to allow you a full discount on their scales, though many will.

Just from the way you worded your question. You cannot decide to pay the other party and send your insurer the bill. Leave them to argue liability with the other side and they will pay if you are deemed to have caused the accident.

Fully protected bonus means you will still get the full discount on your insurers scale . However, an alternative insurer at renewal is not obliged to allow you a full discount on their scales, though many will.

Just from the way you worded your question. You cannot decide to pay the other party and send your insurer the bill. Leave them to argue liability with the other side and they will pay if you are deemed to have caused the accident.

Thanks Sue Pa Key Pa. It is great to get advice, especially since I think I am still in shock! Should I contact my insurer or wait to hear from the other party?

• Advertisement

honeybear wrote:
    Thanks Sue Pa Key Pa. It is great to get advice, especially since I think I am still in shock! Should I contact my insurer or wait to hear from the other party?

You should always notify your insurer, it is a condition of your policy. More often than not, the 3rd party will contact your insurer directly themselves to lodge a claim against you. They will have your details from your insurance disc.

You should also do the same with their insurer for your damages. If nothing else, it shows that you believe you are in the right. In other words, attack is the best form of defence

Advertisement