Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervision & Substitution info

Options
  • 10-11-2017 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm an NQT so forgive my ignorance on the issue.

I've recently started a job share post of 11 hours and I've been given a lot of substitute classes everyday since I started.
    I know as a job share teacher I should be doing 21.5 hours of supervision & substitution. Do I wait until I have the 21.5 hours complete then put a claim in for the additional substitute classes or should I be putting in a claim each week if I have a lot of classes to cover?

Thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Mia A wrote: »
    I'm an NQT so forgive my ignorance on the issue.

I've recently started a job share post of 11 hours and I've been given a lot of substitute classes everyday since I started.
    I know as a job share teacher I should be doing 21.5 hours of supervision & substitution. Do I wait until I have the 21.5 hours complete then put a claim in for the additional substitute classes or should I be putting in a claim each week if I have a lot of classes to cover?

Thanks 😊

You could only be paid once go over the 21.5 limit for the year. Your salary has s&s built into it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It should be clear from outset which are S&S and which are subbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mia A

TheDriver wrote: »
    It should be clear from outset which are S&S and which are subbing.

The classes normally appear as substitution on vsware. I haven't been given the option of nominating preferred slots.
    There always seems to be a large number of classes that need to be covered each week. I can see on my timetable already for Monday I'll be covering 6 classes for a teacher out sick.
    As I am covering a job share and have just 11 hours I've no issue covering classes. I just wanted clarity on whether I have to reach my S&S total hours before I claim for extra substitution or claim weekly if I go over 3 hours of substitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭doc_17

The classes normally appear as substitution on vsware. I haven't been given the option of nominating preferred slots.
    There always seems to be a large number of classes that need to be covered each week. I can see on my timetable already for Monday I'll be covering 6 classes for a teacher out sick.
    As I am covering a job share and have just 11 hours I've no issue covering classes. I just wanted clarity on whether I have to reach my S&S total hours before I claim for extra substitution or claim weekly if I go over 3 hours of substitution.

You should be nominating your slots. Anything outside of these is paid supervision. Document who you are replacing and why that teacher is absent.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

Usually when you are in this type of contract, the VP (or P) will put you in for paid substitution work as much as they can to fulfill your 22 hours a week. Especially as you say you are down to cover a class for someone who is sick, that should technically be paid cover and not S&S anyway. Have you asked the VP? Maybe he/she assumes you know it’s paid. Did you say it was ETB or Department school?-sorry I can’t remember. Usually with ETB each teacher keeps a record on their hours per week fills in a yellow(I think it’s yellow) form and submits it to get paid. Department schools are submitted by VP. Double check with school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Some ETBs will automatically put sub hours through for you , not necessarily fill in a form for every ETB . DES paid schools will automatically put in anything extra too. Keep a record of all classes taken and keep a good eye on your payslip to make sure you are getting paid correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

You should have been asked to nominate S&S periods and have them confirmed with school management. Everything outside that is paid substitution. The max you can be asked to do per week is 3 hours S&S anyway.

Advertisement