Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crashes outside the Rochestown park hotel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No. Not without enforcement.
    People can't seem to drive properly or behave themselves on the road without the big stick drawn out.
    I agree enforcement is needed, but I don't think that really has an effect on specific problem areas, it's only effective at changing the larger scale culture. How would enforcement on this section of road work? Gardaí hanging around pulling people over when they see people change lanes dangerously? Wouldn't that be more dangerous, occupying the hard shoulder and giving rubberneckers something to look at? If not that and fines are received a few days later instead I don't see how that would have an effect on this specific area.

I think there needs to be a physical change to the area, whether that's variable limit signs or road widening or something. Maybe the M28 will sort it out when it eventually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

the knock-on affect of that crash yesterday outside the Rochestown Park Hotel was unreal. The drive from Passage to Douglas took 50 minutes, even hours later Douglas village was at a standstill.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Gru wrote: »
    Why can't people drive this south link road westbound after the Bloomfield interchange right outside the Rochestown Park Hotel. There are always crashes here and I hate driving this stretch of road. Every time I'm driving here cars will without fail brake for no reason at all causing everyone else to have to slow down and probably cause all the crashes.

Why is this? Does the sight of Douglas down below scare people? If so please get off the road Thanks.

Or is this just a convenient spot for insurance fraud?

If anyone can explain this I'd love to hear it.

The South Link Road doesn’t go anywhere near Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The South Link Road doesn’t go anywhere near Douglas.

He said 'down below'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

mordeith wrote: »
    He said 'down below'

I’d say the point Jimmy was making was that the stretch of road the OP is referring to is the South Ring not the South Link. A lot of people use them interchangeably and it drives some people mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

bee06 wrote: »
    I’d say the point Jimmy was making was that the stretch of road the OP is referring to is the South Ring not the South Link. A lot of people use them interchangeably and it drives some people mad.

Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

bee06 wrote: »
    mordeith wrote: »
    He said 'down below'

It also drives me mad. I remember Red FM used to be at it too. I avoided the actual South Link a few times on their advice before realizing what they actually meant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Dang it. Usually I make the correct distinction myself as I know tends to cause confusion. So yes the road I was mentioning was the south ring road rather than the south link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Douglas Flyover-South Ring.

There are panels fitted to the side barriers along the flyover on the town side/east-bound of the flyover. Why weren't they also placed on the village/ west-bound side? Cost savings?

From a safety and noise reduction point there ought to be panels on both sides. The view "down below" is an unnecessary distraction and I expect for some people may be disorientating.

I heard somewhere that Douglas Community Assoc where making efforts to have barriers installed. Not sure how reliable that info is. I'll enquire.

[Edit} Sorry South Ring - drives me nuts too!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Douglas Flyover-South Link.

There are panels fitted to the side barriers along the flyover on the town side/east-bound of the flyover. Why weren't they also placed on the village/ west-bound side? Cost savings?

From a safety and noise reduction point there ought to be panels on both sides. The view "down below" is an unnecessary distraction and I expect for some people may be disorientating.

I heard somewhere that Douglas Community Assoc where making efforts to have barriers installed. Not sure how reliable that info is. I'll enquire.

I reckon they are on the town side because there is a house right next to that part of the flyover.

I dont know if its wholly a safety issue but for my OCD, I would prefer if both sides were closed off. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

And another two crashes this evening. One at the mahon point junction 10, another at Bloomfield j9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Roar wrote: »
    And another two crashes this evening. One at the mahon point junction 10, another at Bloomfield j9.

Yep - caught up the in backlash of that. Coming in from Glounthane, it was mental. Queue for the tunnel practically back to Little Island. Took me 25 minutes just to get to and cross the Tivoli flyover...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Past the Mahon one, right hand lane, two cars.
    Usual rubberneckers and idiots unable to drive past and keep moving at a steady pace; traffic backed up beyond the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Must be guaranteed crash a week now, have people turned into complete idiots? And it seems to be evenings rather than mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

IMO a major part of the Bloomfield problem is that there is two lanes (from 'Carrigaline Road' ) which have to merge with each other and also merge with the main flow of traffic on the South Ring.
    Most people tend to drive in the right hand lane but you then get fellas undercutting them in the left hand lane and jumping ahead of them to cut onto the ring road.
    Cut that road down to one lane and the accidents would decrease substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

There were actually 3 of them all at the same time.

1. Bloomfield, a few cars, I could not see due to the dazzle of the Garda car blue lights.

2. While i was heading for the tunnel and approx 50 meters from Junction 10 towards J 9 heading east, a van had a side impact with a car and pushed it into the central concrete barrier.

3. Also a further 10 meters behind accident 2 above, a car appeared to have been changing lanes perhaps heading westbound from J10, had collided side ways with the front of an artic truck.

The common denominator above seems to be people forgetting about their blind spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

kub wrote: »
    The common denominator above seems to be people forgetting about their blind spots.

People simply don't bother looking. Period. Neither do they properly judge the speed and distance before overtaking/pulling back in. Just tonight I had to brake at speed as a Yaris pulled out in front of me on the N25. When the car pulled back in, I passed the car. It was a young woman chatting away on her hands free :mad:

Cars reversing out of spaces without looking gets on my Bristols as well. People don't realise reversing traffic has no right of way!

Advertisement