Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the names of these plants?

Options
  • 10-11-2017 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Can anyone name these 2 plants? Is the smaller one (1.jpg) an Escallonia?

The last 3 images are of the same plant - it looks like a tree.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The tree is a willow.
    The first pic does look like escallonia, but is maybe a bit too tender and fleshy for this time of the year. Is it from a bush that was cut back perhaps and has new growth?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

lottpaul wrote: »
    The tree is a willow.
    The first pic does look like escallonia, but is maybe a bit too tender and fleshy for this time of the year. Is it from a bush that was cut back perhaps and has new growth?

Hi lottpaul.

Thanks. Do you know what type of Willow?

I recall getting an Escallonia Golden Carpet last year but am not sure if that's the same plant or not. It stayed small and was not cut back in a while. Here's another image [attached].

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I'm not an expert on willows I'm afraid -- just looks like the average wild one to me, but the other plant is a phygelius. Nice flowers but runs/suckers all over the place if you dont watch it. Can have red/pink/cream flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Only a guess but there's a chance the willow is Salix purpurea which is known as the basket willow for obvious reasons. The stems can be purple but just as often aren't.

I'd also agree that the first pic is an Escallonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Escallonia - young leaves have a very slightly "tacky" or viscous feel. Thin branch snaps easily. Stays green-leaved for a long time in the cool, so good for flower decorations, etc. Descended from a robust tropical shrub so can endure a fair amount of neglect, and also can grow large and woody if not pruned to shape. May be tender in hard frost.

Willows - invasive - watch them, and cut firmly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

lottpaul wrote: »
    I'm not an expert on willows I'm afraid -- just looks like the average wild one to me, but the other plant is a phygelius. Nice flowers but runs/suckers all over the place if you dont watch it. Can have red/pink/cream flowers.

It's definitely not a Phygelius.

Advertisement