Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ciara Mageean Changes Coach / Moves to UK

• 10-11-2017 11:16pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Moving to UK - announced on her instagram / facebook

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbVK85dnbLL/?taken-by=c.mageean
    I have made the decision to move to the UK to be part of Team New Balance, Manchester, a professional running team based in South Manchester under the guidance of coach Steve Vernon.
    I am confident that Manchester is the right place for me, at this point in my running career. The change of environment and having a professional team around me day in day out is what I need to make the sort of progress that I want to, to be more consistent and to deliver the results I know I am capable of, especially when I pull on my Irish vest. That is what is most important to me, running for Ireland and representing my country, my family, my friends and myself.
    I would like to thank Jerry who I have always counted as a friend as much as a coach. He took me on before my ankle surgery and helped me on my journey of recovery. He gave me the confidence to know that I’m as good as any athlete in the world.
    I will make the move in late November until then I will continue here in Dublin. My key focus in 2018 will be the Commonwealth Games in April and the European Athletics Championships which take place in Berlin in August.

Could be a good move for her I think. World Champs and more frustration for her suggested she could probably benefit from a different approach. Seems to struggle with whats going on in her head so might help to be part of a professional set up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Moving to UK - announced on her instagram / facebook

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbVK85dnbLL/?taken-by=c.mageean

Could be a good move for her I think. World Champs and more frustration for her suggested she could probably benefit from a different approach. Seems to struggle with whats going on in her head so might help to be part of a professional set up.

Mixed feelings on this. It will be a kick in the teeth for some here if she makes big improvements and it'll be hard not to look into any marginal gains, if they do come. But maybe we'd all do the same if we felt we were gone stale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Itziger wrote: »
    Mixed feelings on this. It will be a kick in the teeth for some here if she makes big improvements and it'll be hard not to look into any marginal gains, if they do come. But maybe we'd all do the same if we felt we were gone stale.

What do you mean look into marginal gains? David Gillick moved to the UK for a better setup and he improved.

Fact is, Ciara needs to be around better athletes, not good male club runners. I really hoped she’d go train with Laura Muir, really surround herself with world class in her own event, but seems tied to train with exclusively NB sponsored athletes perhaps.

Jerry has taken her as far as he can. She had a very poor year this year. Has stagnated, and needs a fresh setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Some decent male athletes like Jonny Mellor & Ross Millington attached to Team New Balance. The ladies though mean nowt to me,Elinor Kirk and Lauren Howarth? Chivitto you any knowledge on these ladies, they above/below Ciara's standard?

OOnegative wrote: »
    Some decent male athletes like Jonny Mellor & Ross Millington attached to Team New Balance. The ladies though mean nowt to me,Elinor Kirk and Lauren Howarth? Chivitto you any knowledge on these ladies, they above/below Ciara's standard?

Had never heard of them. Looked them up. Seem good athletes (mid 15 for 5000) but not near the calibre of Ciara.

I wonder did the idea of training with Muir cross her mind. She’s one of the best in the business. Would have been hugely beneficial to train with her. Or even Eilish McColgan who had a cracking year last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Now maybe they have more athletes than are listed on their website, but there seems to be only three female athletes, none of whom are in the same league as Ciara in the middle distances? And the men are going to be much too quick to train with her. I think a move is not a bad thing however, sometimes a change is as good as anything else and after a poor year it could give her the kick on that she needs now at this vital time in her career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

I think Anna Silvander is with team also (2.02 800m runner)

Howarth also has some very good cross country results to her name.

I think the set up could be a good move for her. There was been an awful lot of promotion work over the past 18 months and could have been a detraction so the fresh approach could be about getting the head back down possibly (just speculation) could be a good move as will give her more training partners to work off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Which females does she train with now that are of her calibre? :)

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Had never heard of them. Looked them up. Seem good athletes (mid 15 for 5000) but not near the calibre of Ciara.

When exactly has Ciara ran quicker than mid 15? I am not denying her prowess over the shorter distances as being her focus but for training especially on the heavier volume which she would be doing for navigating the rounds of champions these seem like perfect training partners.

If she tried training with Muir or McColgan I reckon she may hang with them on the shorter sessions but they would eat her for breakfast in the strength work. That is no disrespect to the athlete but I feel people need to be realistic if she was to train with these she would break down injured before the season ever started.

When exactly has Ciara ran quicker than mid 15? I am not denying her prowess over the shorter distances as being her focus but for training especially on the heavier volume which she would be doing for navigating the rounds of champions these seem like perfect training partners.

If she tried training with Muir or McColgan I reckon she may hang with them on the shorter sessions but they would eat her for breakfast in the strength work. That is no disrespect to the athlete but I feel people need to be realistic if she was to train with these she would break down injured before the season ever started.

I see your point, and it’s valid. I always feel it’s best to train with people with similar goals though. I wonder did she look into training with Laura Weightman or Jessica Judd, along with the aforementioned athletes.

I see your point, and it’s valid. I always feel it’s best to train with people with similar goals though. I wonder did she look into training with Laura Weightman or Jessica Judd, along with the aforementioned athletes.

Personally I focus more on the coaches philosophies and approach. Diversity in a training group can be a great thing. No point having everyone struggling on the same sessions and enjoying the same ones with the group just basically having same pecking order day in and day out, offers little to the top runner and discourages the bottom (unless they have huge drive) Better to have different runners being leaders for different sessions and adding something to the group. It helps the group as well as the athletes confidence.

Ciara could offer a speed element to a somewhat strength oriented group (doesn't meant that the group don't focus on speed but rather that the athletes there are coming from that background) but it gives lends itself to adding to the athlete as well as the group.

• Advertisement

Personally I focus more on the coaches philosophies and approach. Diversity in a training group can be a great thing. No point having everyone struggling on the same sessions and enjoying the same ones with the group just basically having same pecking order day in and day out, offers little to the top runner and discourages the bottom (unless they have huge drive) Better to have different runners being leaders for different sessions and adding something to the group. It helps the group as well as the athletes confidence.

Ciara could offer a speed element to a somewhat strength oriented group (doesn't meant that the group don't focus on speed but rather that the athletes there are coming from that background) but it gives lends itself to adding to the athlete as well as the group.

I wonder how much of the decision comes down to being a New Balance athlete though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Is this New Balances version of Nikes Oregon Project.

I wonder how much of the decision comes down to being a New Balance athlete though.

Wouldn't say that it is as much as you think. Plenty of unaffiliated coaches and in fact many teams don't have clauses in contracts especially at this level. I remember Brie Fenagle (an adidas sponsored athlete) telling me about the Brooks beast team having no issue with her training with the group

Is this New Balances version of Nikes Oregon Project.

No but many sponsors try to set up groups and build around a particular coach. Plenty of examples of this (Hoka NAZ Elite, Brooks Beasts in Seattle, Big Bear TC (New Balance) etc.

Advertisement