Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite quote?

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

" Quo Noncente Docente " (Spelling is probably off )

We learn by that which we suffer.

Anon....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭valoren

"There is no such thing as tough. There is trained and untrained. Now which are you?"

It's from the movie Man on Fire with Denzel Washington.
    He is a former black operative with PTSD and severe alcoholism.
    He is suicidal but get's redeemed through bonding with the child he has been employed to bodyguard.

During the bonding he notes that although she is the fastest swimmer in the water, she flinches when the gun goes off to start the race and because of her delayed, startled reaction that is the only reason she doesn't win. She mentally quits complaining that she just isn't "tough" like him and he admonishes her with the above quote. He then trains her military style in order to change her thinking. She is told that the gunshot does not hold fear but rather it releases her and allows her to show her natural swimming speed. She becomes trained. The nanosecond the gun fires, she is trained to instinctively dive in instead of flinching. She then wins the big race with his help. She didn't need to be tough.

I like it because it's a play on the banal truism 'anything is possible'. It's true. Anything is so long as we focus on it, believe in our ability, work through the inevitable blockers that atypically crop up preventing us from our desired accomplishment and success in that which we desire to achieve and succeed.

A good example is the Marathon with people saying they could never do something like that. That's nonsense. But were they to disregard the perceived toughness and train then with persistence and consistency they can easily finish it.

"There is no such thing as tough. There is trained and untrained. Now which are you?"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

More famous last words than a quote but :
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭scotchy

^^^^

They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist...

.:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

"Speeches should be like miniskirts; "

"Long enough to cover the subject, yet short enough to keep you interested."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Do or do not. There is no try

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

The greatest teacher, failure is.

Yoda

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ruahead

If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we could not.

Emerson M. Pugh

It is better to have known that you be lost than to never have known that you've won.

Del boy - only fools & horses

Love it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Propaganda seeks not a response, but an echo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

GMSA wrote: »
    Two things that can cost a man dearly - his tongue and his tool. -My solicitor

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Cleaning the house while the children are growing is like shovelling the snow while it is still snowing.

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter.

(Both from my fridge magnets!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

“Now, now my good man, this is no time to be making enemies."

(Voltaire on his deathbed in response to a priest asking him that he renounce Satan.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

"The general public are spastics."

(Manager at Easons, O'Connell Street, Dublin, 1991)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

nil aon tintean mar a tintean fein

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

'Friendly fire is always accurate.'

'Soldiers take note...your weapons and equipment were bought from the lowest tender.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Trekker09

“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.”

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pints?

"You a bounty hunter?"

"Man's gotta make a living"

"Dying ain't much of a living boy"

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Pints? wrote: »
    "You a bounty hunter?"

"Man's gotta make a living"

"Dying ain't much of a living boy"
    love that movie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

"Go Fuck Yourself" - René Descartes, 1611.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AIRMiNet

“In front of my mother and my sisters, I pretend love is cheap and vulgar. I act like it’s a sin–I pretend that love is for women on a dark path. But at night I dream of a love so heavy it makes my spine throb. I dream up a lover who makes love like he is separating salt from water.”

—Salma Deera

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭supermans ghost

The hen is the wisest of all animals, because she never cackles until the egg is laid.
    Abraham Lincoln.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 PierreLeCake

There is enough Religion in the world to make men hate each other but not enough to make them love each other

-Louie Cypher (Robert De Niro) Angel Heart

You tried and you failed. The important thing is never to try.

-Homer Simpson

Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

-John Mason (Sean Connery) The Rock

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullsh*t

-My Dad Don't know where he got it from.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Digital Clock Owners, Your Days Are Numbered.

— Some lad in 6th year. Wrote it on the chalkboard. One of the teachers liked it so much it got put in that year's yearbook.

Advertisement