Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite quote?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Albert Einstein.."Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

'We look before and after, And pine for what is not; Our sincerest laughter With some pain is fraught; Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.'

Percy Shelley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

'The biggest prison people live in is the fear of what others think.' Banksy

'Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working' Picasso

'Is maith an scáthán súil charad' (a friend's eye is a good mirror) Irish proverb

'Fame is but a fruit tree
    So very unsound.
    It can never flourish
    ‘til its stock is in the ground' .....Nick Drake (ok, not a quote, but lyrics of a song)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Albert Einstein.."Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution"

Is that a real Einstein quote or a facebook Einstein quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

"It's nice to be important, but it is much more important to be nice"

"Money isn't everything, it's just a little bit embarrassing to be without it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    Spanish proverb

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

More or less 'Who will guard the guardians?'

Can be attributed to many meanings but resonates with me when we talk about the power world leaders can have, and who guards against them using it incorrectly, so particularly relevant in politics today.

Like it so much I have it tattooed on my forearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

my father sometime says.
    if you cant convince them, then confuse them

Ipso wrote: »
    Is that a real Einstein quote or a facebook Einstein quote?

I'm not totally sure tbh but would the quote mean less if it wasn't him who said it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

"The Ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." Somerset Maugham

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

“There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived.”

― Steven Erikson

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around" Charles Bukowski

"What we think, we become" - Buddha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I'm not racist , I hate everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Yer an awful prick - George Gershwin

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

"Never trust anything that can bleed for three days without dying .........."

- My Dad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Keep your dick in a vice - AVE

From Watership Down..

Animals don't behave like men,' he said. 'If they have to fight, they fight; and if they have to kill they kill. But they don't sit down and set their wits to work to devise ways of spoiling other creatures' lives and hurting them. They have dignity and animality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past.

Was that Cheech Marin ?

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

"Don't expect fair play"

My dad likes that one and he is right. That's not to say you cannot experience situations that are fair, honest and above board. But let's be honest.... very few and fair between. So don't expect fair play because you will rarely get it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 commuterbelt

“Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.” ― Bob Dylan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

What's your favourite humming noise

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Two things that can cost a man dearly - his tongue and his tool. -My solicitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

uch wrote: »
    Was that Cheech Marin ?

F Scott Fitzgerald from his book The Great Gatsby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

When the little head gets hard, the big head goes soft

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

"Money is not that important, but a few pounds in your pocket is great for your nerves".....(Brendan Behan).
    "There are none of my vices that I would willingly give up for the sake of eking out another couple of years in a nursing home in Weston-Super-Mare".......(G K Chesterton and others).
    "You make your bed, you lie in it"......(my mother, instilling in me the concept of personal responsibility........sadly lacking these days.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

rizzodun wrote: »
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

More or less 'Who will guard the guardians?'

Can be attributed to many meanings but resonates with me when we talk about the power world leaders can have, and who guards against them using it incorrectly, so particularly relevant in politics today.

Like it so much I have it tattooed on my forearm.

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS!!

• Advertisement

'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing'

-The quote is ascribed to Edmund Burke, an 18th century Irish philosopher, but it's unconfirmed.

'Go then, there are other worlds than these' - Jake Chambers (Stephen King).

'May you live every day of your life' - Johnathan Swift.

'If you hate something, don't you do it too' - Eddie Vedder.

'Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools speak because they have to say something' - Plato

'You know my feelings - Every day is a gift. It's just, does it have to be a pair of socks?' - Tony Soprano

Advertisement