Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hope Solo accuses Sepp Blatter of sexual assault

• 11-11-2017 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hope Solo accuses Sepp Blatter of sexual assault at awards ceremony
    The former Fifa president Sepp Blatter has been accused by Hope Solo, the USA women’s football team goalkeeper, of having sexually assaulted her at Fifa’s Ballon d’Or awards ceremony in January 2013.

In an interview with the Portuguese newspaper Expresso, being published on Saturday, Solo, 36, claimed she “had Sepp Blatter grab my ass” at the glittering presentation of Fifa’s annual football awards for achievement during 2012. Solo presented the Fifa women’s world player of the year award on stage alongside Blatter, to her colleague on the USA team that had won the gold medal at the London Olympics, the striker Abby Wambach.

Blatter, contacted via his spokesman, responded to Solo’s recollection by denying that the incident took place. “This allegation is ridiculous,” he said.

On the official Fifa film of the event, which was hosted by the Dutch football legend Ruud Gullit and the broadcaster Kay Murray, Solo was shown coming on to the stage with Blatter from behind a curtain at the back of the stage, to present the award to Wambach. Talking to Expresso about sexual harassment in general, which Solo says is “rampant” in sport, she claimed Blatter grabbed her behind seconds before they both went on stage: “I had Sepp Blatter grab my ass,” she said. “It was at the Ballon d’Or, right before I went on stage. [Sexual harassment] has been normalised.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/10/hope-solo-sepp-blatter-fifa-sexual-assault-accusation?CMP=fb_gu

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Can't see there being a flood of " that's so out of character for him" and "surely not sepp" posts and tweets :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

thats so out of character for him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Nothing to add, other than they are two particularly objectionable individuals. Football would be better with both gone for good.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That's odd, he's always been such a strong advocate of the women's game...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/jan/16/football.gender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Will there be any men left after this latest outrage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Surely not Sepp?

Maybe he shouldda just stuck to a hand solo...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Based on a couple of posts it seems that Hope Solo is a divisive person. What's the background to that?

Not trying to be funny or anything, I'm just aware of her as a footballer but nothing else.

SM01 wrote: »
    Based on a couple of posts it seems that Hope Solo is a divisive person. What's the background to that?

Not trying to be funny or anything, I'm just aware of her as a footballer but nothing else.

Bit of an attitude, was embroiled in some controversy where she was accused of assaulting her nephew who afair was a giant himself.

In fairness, nothing next or near the accusations swirling about Blatter, even before this one.

• Advertisement

SM01 wrote: »

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12976615/detailed-look-hope-solo-domestic-violence-case-includes-reports-being-belligerent-jail

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2016/8/12/12458898/hope-solo-sweden-uswnt-rio-2016-olympics-quotes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Hope spring's eternal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Oh please let this be true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I hate to dismiss someone, but Hope Solo is the exact sort of person who would do this for her brief moment of attention.

irishman86 wrote: »
    I hate to dismiss someone, but Hope Solo is the exact sort of person who would do this for her brief moment of attention.

Definitely, but Blatter is also just the sort of person to do what he was accused of. :( Wouldn't trust either of them as far as I could throw them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

irishman86 wrote: »

Sepp probably knew no-one would believe her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Definitely, but Blatter is also just the sort of person to do what he was accused of. :( Wouldn't trust either of them as far as I could throw them.
    I agree with you there buddy
    Rikand wrote: »
    Sepp probably knew no-one would believe her

He did manage to stay in power for a long time, so probably had this well thought out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I don’t know who to believe

16ac61f5f155aea3c669cf82f258156d.gif

Well, any update?

The OP said he hoped Solo accuses Blatter. Did she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

If what we have always heard of Blatter is true, it's most likely he was putting his hand in her arse pocket with a view to emptying her wallet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Chewie wont be happy with that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd never have thought it of him. Who next? Silvio Berlusconi? Surely not though, a man of his integrity and honour.

Advertisement