Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not attending tutorials

Options
  • 11-11-2017 4:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi :) I’m a first year vet student in UCD and havent really been off to the best start with college ... I took French Grammar as an elective because I thought it would be interesting, but after attending the first four tutorials and doing nothing but spend the hour correcting work, I stopped going. I’ve missed 5 in a row (one because I was studying for an exam the class after and another because I was accompanying my grandmother home from the hospital following a surgery; but I’ve no excuse for the rest).

I’ve still been doing the work each week, and attendance doesn’t count towards anything (it’s taken, but it doesn’t contribute to the end result); but as there’s only two left this semester, I figured I’ll go to them. I’m just wondering - could I get into ‘trouble’ for my lack of attendance? I know it’s not secondary school anymore and that the lecturer probably doesn’t even care, but do you have to go to a certain amount of tutorials in order to pass/sit an exam in UCD? Could I face any repercussions for not attending an elective’s tutorials? (I’m not like this for my core modules; I just really don’t see the point in sitting there for an hour correcting work I can check for myself.)

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

On the arts side, at least, if attendance ain't part of the course's overall grade, then it counts for virtually zilch. I've had lecturers explain to me that if they're unsure between two grades, like a B/B+ (or the unenviable E to D-), then they might consider tutorial attendance as a factor in their final decision. I can't say I've ever felt the benefit of this approach, but it's definitely out there as a thing.

Advertisement