Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due date given by the hospital is one month later then I calculated

Options
  • 11-11-2017 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

First day of last menstrual period is 7th Aug, the estimated date by pregnancy due date calculator on website is 14th May 2018.But yesterday I went to coombe
    to do dating scan, the doctor told me the Due date is 14th June 2018.One month later!!!
    Someone told me that American hospitals often give a later due date so if a pregnant woman's delivery is before the due date, she must go to Emergency treatment which is very expensive.

If next scan the baby is in normal state, will coombe give me a new due date?
    And what's the cost of the emergency treatment in coombe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

suitianshi wrote: »
    First day of last menstrual period is 7th Aug, the estimated date by pregnancy due date calculator on website is 14th May 2018.But yesterday I went to coombe
    to do dating scan, the doctor told me the Due date is 14th June 2018.One month later!!!
    Someone told me that American hospitals often give a later due date so if a pregnant woman's delivery is before the due date, she must go to Emergency treatment which is very expensive.

Can’t advise on due date but if you opt for public care you won’t get charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

When did you get a positive test and was doctor happy that baby had a strong heartbeat etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

It really doesn't matter when the last date of your period was. What matters is when you ovulated.

Do you have regular 28day periods? If not then it is very likely your due date will be later than you think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

There’s no cost whatsoever in Ireland for maternity care of any kind (in the public system) up to and including the baby’s 6 week check up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

frogstar wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter when the last date of your period was. What matters is when you ovulated.

Do you have regular 28day periods? If not then it is very likely your due date will be later than you think

Due dates in Ireland are calculated on LMP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

splinter65 wrote: »

Until the dating scan shows different. Based on my LMP my due date would be a week earlier but I know exactly when I ovulated because I was getting fertility treatment. My dating scan agreed with the later date.

If she had a scan it'll be based on the scan.
    In this case it sounds like baby measured eight weeks which suggests she ovulate and became pregnant later then thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭suitianshi

When did you get a positive test and was doctor happy that baby had a strong heartbeat etc.?

I got a strong positive test on 1 Oct.
    The doctor told me the baby had a strong heartbeat,and tell me the baby is only 9 weeks.

Not if you have a 52 day period or have had fertility treatment when they will be weeks off

frogstar wrote: »

I did a ovulation test on 25th Aug, and I got a positive result.
    My average period cycle is 37 days.
    Due date is so so so later then I think.

• Advertisement

If she had a scan it'll be based on the scan.
    In this case it sounds like baby measured eight weeks which suggests she ovulate and became pregnant later then thought.

My bladder was nearly empty when I had the dating scan, any impact on the result?

I got a strong positive test on 1 Oct.
    The doctor told me the baby had a strong heartbeat,and tell me the baby is only 9 weeks.
    A positive on 1st October is consistent with your new dates so it does sound like you ovulated later then expected and pregnancy is progressingnormally.

It might be worth a phone call to discuss the changed due date or paying for a private scan in two weeks for peace of mind that everything is on track.

A positive on 1st October is consistent with your new dates so it does sound like you ovulated later then expected and pregnancy is progressingnormally.

It might be worth a phone call to discuss the changed due date or paying for a private scan in two weeks for peace of mind that everything is on track.

What is the general practice in Ireland when a pregnant woman is approaching her EDD? As I don't have much knowledge about pregnancy or signs of labor, I don't know when I should or needn't go to hospital.

In my origin country (China), women go to hospital for a check very frequently when due date coming soon. What about Ireland ? (I opt to be a public patient). I can find lots of documents on things during labor, but not , say one or two weeks before EDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I'd go by the date given from the scan - it's more accurate.

You'll have lots of hospital appointments close to your DD - once a week toward the end. You should also have free ante natal classes in the hospital and they will teach you everything about hospital procedures and tell you when to go to the hospital in labour depending on where you live.

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I'd go by the date given from the scan - it's more accurate.

You'll have lots of hospital appointments close to your DD - once a week toward the end. You should also have free ante natal classes in the hospital and they will teach you everything about hospital procedures and tell you when to go to the hospital in labour depending on where you live.

what if at some point i'm not feeling well? Can I just go to the hospital without appointment? any extra charge on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Do you have a GP in Ireland? If you do the attached link might be useful, and shoes the visits to hospital and doctor during pregnancy. It does say that's for Irish residents and I'm not sure on your status so you might have to check eligibility.
    Generally during pregnancy if I didn't feel well my Gp would be my first port of call and then he would advise if the hospital was needed. That depends on the urgency of your issue though....

http://www.welldonemum.ie/A_MatInfantcare.html

I'm not in Dublin. It have read about antenatal appointments there getting booked out quickly so you should enquiry about those as early as possible.

sillysocks wrote: »
    Do you have a GP in Ireland? If you do the attached link might be useful, and shoes the visits to hospital and doctor during pregnancy. It does say that's for Irish residents and I'm not sure on your status so you might have to check eligibility.
    Generally during pregnancy if I didn't feel well my Gp would be my first port of call and then he would advise if the hospital was needed. That depends on the urgency of your issue though....

http://www.welldonemum.ie/A_MatInfantcare.html

I'm not in Dublin. It have read about antenatal appointments there getting booked out quickly so you should enquiry about those as early as possible.

Thanks for the link. I am legally and habitually resident in Ireland now.
    I will discuss my queries with my GP next time when I visit him.

Thanks for the link. I am legally and habitually resident in Ireland now.
    I will discuss my queries with my GP next time when I visit him.

That's probably best, from reading on here some people seem to be charged for their first GP visit and some aren't. Seems to just depend on the GP, but once you fill out the forms then the visits should be free. My gp never seemed to count how many visits I had, and I never paid, but I suppose I didn't have a huge amount of visits. Technically I think the number of free visits is according to the list on the link.

And just to set your mind at ease re the public care, I wasn't public three times and never received a bill for anything. The only expense we had was for a private early scan which was obviously just personal choice rather than required by the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

You've weekly appointments in the last 4-6 weeks, if there's an issue outside of appts you just go to your gp or hospital and there is no charge once it is pregnancy related.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

suitianshi wrote:
    First day of last menstrual period is 7th Aug, the estimated date by pregnancy due date calculator on website is 14th May 2018.But yesterday I went to coombe to do dating scan, the doctor told me the Due date is 14th June 2018.One month later!!! Someone told me that American hospitals often give a later due date so if a pregnant woman's delivery is before the due date, she must go to Emergency treatment which is very expensive.

You should never be charged for your 1st go visit. If they try to charge you contact your local hse office in charge of mother and infant scheme. They will clarify with gp for you.
    Too many gps are trying to charge for the first visit and this is illegal

• Advertisement

I never knew you aren't meant to be charged for first visit. I had mine few weeks back and was charged. Told rest all free (well 6) I'm pretty sure I didn't ask anything unrelated to pregnancy .

But maybe I didn't say it to receptionist when I finished as I was the one who went to pay

jakeypooh wrote: »
    You should never be charged for your 1st go visit. If they try to charge you contact your local hse office in charge of mother and infant scheme. They will clarify with gp for you.
    Too many gps are trying to charge for the first visit and this is illegal

I was charged 60 for my 1st visit to make sure the pregnancy.I really didn't know it is illegal.

I don't think there's anything illegal about it, it mentions it's up to the GP how they divide appointments. Some GPS don't even partake in the scheme so it's not illegal to charge for pregnancy visits.
    As the last poster says I imagine if the receptionist doesn't know it's your first pregnancy visit then maybe that's why you'd be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

Oh it is. All visits scheduled as per the hse system are free. The 1st one included. If a gp charges its sgainst the rules of the scheme. Clarify this yourselves as i did with your county hse office

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

What is the general practice in Ireland when a pregnant woman is approaching her EDD? As I don't have much knowledge about pregnancy or signs of labor, I don't know when I should or needn't go to hospital.

In my origin country (China), women go to hospital for a check very frequently when due date coming soon.  What about Ireland ? (I opt to be a public patient). I can find lots of documents on things during labor, but not , say one or two weeks before EDD.
    Here's the list of visits for combined care. Even if you don't do combined care, the frequency of the visits would be same, unless there are medical reasons for more frequent monitoring.
    http://www.johnstownmed.ie/pregnancy-and-antenatal-care-combined-care-scheme.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I was charged for the first visit too!! They charge for everything and don't do free under 6s so I'm moving anyway.

There's a good point there. If you're signing up for a gp make sure that they'll do the under 6 scheme after child I'd born. Also make sure they participate in some of night/out if hours cover scheme like west doc or similar. You'll need that after kiddo is born.

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I was charged for the first visit too!! They charge for everything and don't do free under 6s so I'm moving anyway.

Mine don't do under six either. Are you sticking with them til the birth?

Mine is city centre based so really handy with work but maybe I should just move now and get to know my new doctor as I'll have to move after the birth to a local one.

Can you just switch if forms are already completed?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/maternity/combinedcare.html

This gives an idea of the basic appointments you will likely get. The schedule can change - for example to increase appointments or to do additional checks. Frequency in the last trimester of appointments also increases.

Everything related to your ante-natal care is free. In any emergency relating to your pregnancy go to your local A&E or maternity unit. That's also free. If you have a complicated birth and require C-section or anything like that, it's free and so is your hospital stay. If for any reason your baby needs additional care like NICU, this is also free.

As well as that, you should find a GP that will do the Under 6 scheme. This is free appointments for children up to age six. Infant immunisations are also free of charge.

Don't forget to register for Child Benefit, and check your eligibility for maternity benefit too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement