If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K HDR for gaming.

Options
  • 11-11-2017 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm looking for a 4K TV With HDR10 that will only be used ONLY for gaming with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

It must have 2 HDR capabil Hdmi slots as I have heard that some tvs only have 1. (Is that HDMI 2.2 or something like that)

If at all possible could you mention their refresh rate and input lag time while HDR is active.

Size wise I would prefer 49" or smaller but that is not a deal breaker.

Budget is around €1000 at the moment but could go slightly higher if I wait a couple of weeks.

Would be looking at Samsung or Sony tvs mainly.

Regards
    Ross

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm looking for a 4K TV With HDR10  that will only be used ONLY for gaming with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

It must have 2 HDR capabil Hdmi slots as I have heard that some tvs only have 1. (Is that HDMI 2.2 or something like that)

If at all possible could you mention their refresh rate and input lag time while HDR is active.  

Size wise I would prefer 49" or smaller but that is not a deal breaker.  

Budget is around €1000 at the moment but could go slightly higher if I wait a couple of weeks.

Would be looking at Samsung or Sony tvs mainly.

Regards
    Ross
    Hi Ross IRL.

Unfortunately finding out input lag is not that straight forward as it is not usually listed in the spec's.

One of the best 49" on the market would be the Samsung 49MU700 priced at 1039 Euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202582-ue49mu7000.aspx

Rated at 1900Hz PQI refresh. Does not list the input lag so I would need to contact Samsung directly on Monday to check this. Has 4 2.2 HDMI's.

Below that you have the Sony 49XE8004 priced at 799.00 euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202480-bravia-kd49xe8004.aspx

Rated at Sony's XR100Hz and again no input lag is mentioned. Has 4 2.2 HDMI's.

Each manufacture uses a different means of measuring their refresh rate but most are usually twice the normal 100Hz standard measurement.

Let me know if either of these might suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hi Ross IRL.

Unfortunately finding out input lag is not that straight forward as it is not usually listed in the spec's.

One of the best 49" on the market would be the Samsung 49MU700 priced at 1039 Euro

Rated at 1900Hz PQI refresh. Does not list the input lag so I would need to contact Samsung directly on Monday to check this. Has 4 2.2 HDMI's.

Each manufacture uses a different means of measuring their refresh rate but most are usually twice the normal 100Hz standard measurement.

Hi Kenny,

That is indeed the Samsung that caught my eye.

If I was to wait a couple of weeks could you see this tv coming down in price? http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202522-qe49q7f.aspx and would it be much better than the tv you linked. (future proof and performance wise)

Edit: also looking to have the tv delivered down south

Hi Ross IRL.

Hi Kenny,

That is indeed the Samsung that caught my eye.

If I was to wait a couple of weeks could you see this tv coming down in price? http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202522-qe49q7f.aspx and would it be much better than the tv you linked. (future proof and performance wise)

Edit: also looking to have the tv delivered down south
    Hi Rossi IRL,

That TV is far better set than the MU7000. We have one on display next to a 7000 and in terms of brightness and colour it's miles ahead.

That TV has already come down in price so I'm no sure if it will come down any further in the near future. If you are interested in it I could include shipping for you to the south.

Let me know what you think.

David

Thanks for getting back to me.

Between that samsung and this which would you recommend most

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202475-bravia-kd55xe9005.aspx#tabProductDetails-tab?swapstore=1

I hear the Sony has better lighting as it is not edge lit, is this true?

Can you confirm if the Sony has a full 10bit panel.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks for getting back to me.

Between that samsung and this which would you recommend most

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202475-bravia-kd55xe9005.aspx#tabProductDetails-tab?swapstore=1

I hear the Sony has better lighting as it is not edge lit, is this true?

Can you confirm if the Sony has a full 10bit panel.
    Personally if it was me I'd prefer a Samsung QE49Q7F to the Sony KD49XE9005 - however the Samsung is more expensive and there is not a huge gap between them - the Sony is a quasi 10 bit as its 8 Bit + FRC - the Samsung QE49Q7F is a true 10 Bit screen and to be fair the build quality on the QE49Q7F is superb.

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Personally if it was me I'd prefer a Samsung QE49Q7F to the Sony KD49XE9005 - however the Samsung is more expensive and there is not a huge gap between them - the Sony is a quasi 10 bit as its 8 Bit + FRC - the Samsung QE49Q7F is a true 10 Bit screen and to be fair the build quality on the QE49Q7F is superb.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks John, I think the Samsung is out of the picture now as I just found out that it requires 2 plugs.

Just wondering when you say about the 8bit +frc..... Is it much worse than 10bit or would the difference be very slim.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks John, I think the Samsung is out of the picture now as I just found out that it requires 2 plugs.  

Just wondering when you say about the 8bit +frc..... Is it much worse than 10bit or would the difference be very slim.
    Hi Rossi IRL.

There are many debates surrounding this.

Since the vast majority of images and movies available are encoded with 8-bit color, they would display the same on both screens.
    Unless you're working with photos or video shot with 10-bit or higher color depth, there really isn't any reason to prefer true 10-bit over 8-bit + FRC. I would say that you would be hard-pressed to see the difference.

Hope this helps a little.

Hi Rossi IRL.

Since the vast majority of images and movies available are encoded with 8-bit color, they would display the same on both screens.
    Unless you're working with photos or video shot with 10-bit or higher color depth, there really isn't any reason to prefer true 10-bit over 8-bit + FRC. I would say that you would be hard-pressed to see the difference.

Thanks John.... I'll have a think about it over the next few days or so.

Hi Rossi IRL.

Thanks John.... I'll have a think about it over the next few days or so.
    No problem at all Rossi IRL.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.