Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which steering wheel?

Options
  • 11-11-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭

I want to pick up a steering wheel for VR gaming, but importantly I want it to also work with PC so it needs to be cross-platform.

Don't want to go crazy on the price but I'll try to pick up something in the upcoming sales.

What do you recommend?

Also do I need to free up one of my two USB ports? I have an OG PS4, but both USB ports are used at present.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

mrcheez wrote: »
    I want to pick up a steering wheel for VR gaming, but importantly I want it to also work with PC so it needs to be cross-platform.

Don't want to go crazy on the price but I'll try to pick up something in the upcoming sales.

What do you recommend?

Also do I need to free up one of my two USB ports? I have an OG PS4, but both USB ports are used at present.

It'll use a USB port, and somethings can't be used with USB hubs so what do you currently have connected.

I've the G29 and I'm happy with it, looking to get a stick soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Varik wrote: »
    It'll use a USB port, and somethings can't be used with USB hubs so what do you currently have connected.

I've the G29 and I'm happy with it, looking to get a stick soon.

I use one of the 2 USB ports for an external HDD but I guess I can just transfer the driving games onto the internal HDD and keep the rest on the external so it's not such a biggie.

Yeah have the G29 in my sights alright.

I guess I can mount it on an ironing board or something as it'll be in my living room :)

Do I need the stick shift? How do you change gears otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've the thrustmaster t150 along with a playseat challenge. Works very well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I've the thrustmaster t150 along with a playseat challenge. Works very well.

Ah I need something I can pack away quickly. Ironing board will do :)

Does the G29 have gear shifting on the wheel itself?

Not too bothered about a stick shift.

Actually the Thrustmaster seems a good price at the mo.. I'll keep a watch over Black Friday

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T150-Force-Feedback-Wheel/dp/B015CNQW24/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510775882&sr=8-1&keywords=thrustmaster%2Bt150&dpID=518M4rP-RgL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That's the beauty of the playseat challenge, it folds away in seconds. That iron board will drive ye crazy.

The wheel will go cheaper than that, I got it for 120.00 back in January 2016.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 space200

I have the Thrustmaster T300 and I use it on my PC and ps4 with no problems also I have the pedals I highly recommend it.

space200 wrote: »
    I have the Thrustmaster T300 and I use it on my PC and ps4 with no problems also I have the pedals I highly recommend it.

Pedals come with or separate?

With pedals and you are looking at around 340Eu for it ............but hell is it good a very strong motor so strong I keep telling any kids not to put there hands near it in case it breaks them.

Are 2 pedals enough? I see the others have 3 I'm assuming for gear changes or similar

the gears are on the steering wheel (paddle shift) so no need of a clutch or 3rd pedal.

• Advertisement

The G29 is £160 on Amazon Warehouse in "Like New" condition (after the 20% discount)

Wondering if I should go for it, or wait for a Black Friday sale on the T150 ...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

The G29 is £160 on Amazon Warehouse in "Like New" condition (after the 20% discount)

Wondering if I should go for it, or wait for a Black Friday sale on the T150 ...

I have the Xbox version - Go for it
    And get a playseat challenge or Wheelstand Pro.
    I have the wheelstand and it's awesome.

An Ironing board will just not work, as said above it's drive you bonkers.. :D

I'm still on the fence as I'm not a driving enthusiast , I just want the proper control for when I DO use the driving games, like the way I bought an Aim controller in order to play SOME fps games on PSVR.

As in, the price seems to be more of an investment for someone that will spend more than 25% of their gaming time in driving sims.

So considering I will play driving games perhaps 10% of the time, I'd prefer to spend an amount that reflects that, so thinking more around the €100 price region?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I'm still on the fence as I'm not a driving enthusiast , I just want the proper control for when I DO use the driving games, like the way I bought an Aim controller in order to play SOME fps games on PSVR.

As in, the price seems to be more of an investment for someone that will spend more than 25% of their gaming time in driving sims.

So considering I will play driving games perhaps 10% of the time, I'd prefer to spend an amount that reflects that, so thinking more around the €100 price region?
    I'm in more or less the same position as you, not wanting to throw hundreds at gaming gear [although that's more down to ever less gaming time (adulting sucks! :pac:), than game type choices (I'm driving/flying mostly, with an infrequent side helping of FPS)] but still wanting game type-dedicated gear for a fuller experience.

If you're patient enough, G29's can be had around that price second-hand, but you have to be patient and lucky, then quick.

I bagged a minter G29 for £95 delivered (:eek:) at end September, on a gaming forum. Wheel, pedals (including the Logitech 'single cover' unit/adapter that covers the clutch and brake pedals to make a 'single' brake pedal), cables, in original box, and mint as described.

Really delighted with it, a much better unit than my last unit of reference (official full-size xbox 360 wireless wheel). Project Cars is just superlative, both on PS4 and PC.

I already had a Gioteck RC5 chair and Wheelstand Pro from my xbox 360 days, the G29 fits the Wheelstand Pro without needing any special adapter.

I ordered a PSVR/GT6 bundle last night (Xmas pressie to self, no opening it until Crimbo :(), so few are going to see much of me at all, come 25 Dec :pac:

ambro25 wrote: »
    I'm in more or less the same position as you, not wanting to throw hundreds at gaming gear [although that's more down to ever less gaming time (adulting sucks! :pac:), than game type choices (I'm driving/flying mostly, with an infrequent side helping of FPS)] but still wanting game type-dedicated gear for a fuller experience.

If you're patient enough, G29's can be had around that price second-hand, but you have to be patient and lucky, then quick.

I bagged a minter G29 for £95 delivered (:eek:) at end September, on a gaming forum. Wheel, pedals (including the Logitech 'single cover' unit/adapter that covers the clutch and brake pedals to make a 'single' brake pedal), cables, in original box, and mint as described.

Really delighted with it, a much better unit than my last unit of reference (official full-size xbox 360 wireless wheel). Project Cars is just superlative, both on PS4 and PC.

I already had a Gioteck RC5 chair and Wheelstand Pro from my xbox 360 days, the G29 fits the Wheelstand Pro without needing any special adapter.

I ordered a PSVR/GT6 bundle last night (Xmas pressie to self, no opening it until Crimbo :(), so few are going to see much of me at all, come 25 Dec :pac:

I'm sure a good deal will appear on one of the UK sites, plus they do seem to hold their value on adverts.ie

Not sure if a chair will interfere with the back of my VR headset though?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would keep an eye on pc world. I got my misses to buy me g29 + H shifter for 149.99eu as xmas present around this time last year. Was great deal.
    Never used it on ps4, but I use it on my pc. Its definitely very good deal for 150eu.

Get yourself wheel stand. Trust me, its very important. I had g27 before, but no wheel stand. It was pain in a whole to set up each time and experience was crap. This time I did it right and got wheel stand pro. Takes me less then a minute to set it up or put away. Plus it feels more natural.

As for H shifter. I got it, but I barely use it when playing Forza 7. Prefer paddle shifting a lot more. Maybe not realisitc using them while driving Dodge charger 69", but a lot more fun.

wooh glad I waited, got the G29 new for £128 this morning on Amazon

No need for stick shifter really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Had the G29 for a while, got the shifter off amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kooper

G29 was on Black Friday sale, got it for 108 pound plus delivery 6, and shifter half price - 22

Advertisement