Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone recommend a cycle rack

Options
  • 11-11-2017 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

I have a nissan almera salooon 2004.so looking for a bike rack that i can attach to the back of my saloon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I have a towbar type for years.
    Can carry two bikes no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If you don't have a towbar, a Hollywood Express 3 or similar rack should fit no problem.

Widely available in most Irish LBS's for around €99 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

How many bikes so you intend to carry? And does your car have a towbar mount? That'll have an impact on any decision.

I use a Thule easyfold 931(I think??), which is towbar mounted and carries two bikes and allows me to remove and store away easily when not in use. Also allows me to store it in the boot of the car so that my car doesn't scream "off mountain-biking; back in several hours so break in at your leisure". It's not a cheap carrier, averaging around £450/500 new but you can find them cheaper in ebay or the like every now and again.

I also had a detachable towbar installed on my Ford Focus. Between the towbar and the rack I paid out about £850 but I've had my monies worth out of it already (and that's from August ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mi16

Type 17 wrote: »
    If you don't have a towbar, a Hollywood Express 3 or similar rack should fit no problem.

Widely available in most Irish LBS's for around €99 or so.

These are a great in-expensive option. I bought one a few years ago for use on a saloon and had no problems carrying up to 3 bikes with it around the country. You just need to be careful (1) to protect the car when attaching the straps/hooks, and (2) that the bikes don't rub against each other. Both easy to do with some tape and some old rags. I've since changed car and went with roof bars / bike carrier option.

I still have the Hollywood (identical to the link above) that you can try out and if suitable have for €50. It's in as-new condition and I'm based in Dublin 4.

PM if it's of interest.

Advertisement