Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU Upgrade for VR

Options
  • 11-11-2017 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a Sapphire RX 480 8 GB OC version. I have just ordered the Oculus RIft.

I think I may have to upgrade the GPU to have the best experience. I was hoping to stay with AMD as I have a free sync monitor. But it seems that Nvidia have the best cards on the market at the moment.

WHat would the the best card to buy for under €500 (Il be in the US in a weeks time and can buy there)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

1080 is $498 on New egg now.

Its the best card for that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Thank you for the reply. Il go with This one

Il need to upgrade the PSU as well as I currently have a Corsair CX430. DO you have any recommendations on which one? I was thinking of getting a BeQuiet 600 Watt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

pcuser wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply. Il go with This one

Il need to upgrade the PSU as well as I currently have a Corsair CX430. DO you have any recommendations on which one? I was thinking of getting a BeQuiet 600 Watt.
    You don't actually HAVE to - any recent CPU + Nvidia combo will draw about ~300W during gaming.
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3036-how-far-can-450w-get-you-for-a-gaming-pc-wattage

However, getting an overpowered PSU does have benefits in that good models can run silent at low loads (usually up to 55%).
    So a Gold-rated 550-650W unit from FSP, EVGA (G2), Corsair (RM/RMx) or Seasonic is a good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Got this a few months ago :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GCAW1IA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Running a htc vive off it and all good thus far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a Sapphire RX 480 8 GB OC version. I have just ordered the Oculus RIft.

I think I may have to upgrade the GPU to have the best experience. I was hoping to stay with AMD as I have a free sync monitor. But it seems that Nvidia have the best cards on the market at the moment.

WHat would the the best card to buy for under €500 (Il be in the US in a weeks time and can buy there)

An RX480 is absolutely fine for VR, save your money

• Advertisement

Thanks for getting back to me Kiki.

I knew I might get away with the PSU but its 2 years old and an entry level PSU. It would be a sin to hook it to a 1080 :)

I like the look of This

Its 100 - 240 V 50 - 60 Hz I winder if this the correct voltage is auto selected or if I have to click a switch on the PSU

An RX480 is absolutely fine for VR, save your money

Really? Would you consider it a waste? Its a PC overhaul or a 4K drone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's definitely not a waste, that's like saying a GTX1080 is a waste for gaming because a GTX1050 can also play games. The GTX1080 will wallop the 480 in both games and VR - and visual quality and high framerate is extremely important in VR to create better immersion.

You can use the 480 for VR at a reasonable level, but the GTX1080 is a major upgrade. The difference will be less noticeable in normal games if you have a standard 1080p 60hz monitor as the GTX1080 really needs 1440p (or 1080p 144hz) to really reach its potential in most games.

The difference will be less noticeable in normal games if you have a standard 1080p 60hz monitor as the GTX1080 really needs 1440p (or 1080p 144hz) to really reach its potential in most games.

I have a 144hz 1080p freesync. I realize that the 1080 is a bit of overkill for this monitor but im presuming that it will be worth it for the VR.

Il prob pickup a 1440p Gsync monitor sometime in the New Year.

It's not overkill for 144hz, no! It's not easy hit super high framerates in the latest games. I wouldn't bother re: Gsync as it's an enormous upgrade cost and in my own opinion it's not that big a deal.

You could just get a Vega 56 instead of a GTX1080? Not much between them, it's a bit cheaper, and it obviously is freesync compatible. I would probably just do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The 1080 will also allow you to use supersampling as it has enough headroom in most VR games ive found.

I wasnt that impressed with the blurry image on the rift and supersampling helps a lot there.

You could just get a Vega 56 instead of a GTX1080?

SHould I go for the 64 instead as its only costing $500?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SHould I go for the 64 instead as its only costing $500?

I'd go for an RX Vega 56 ($429) & an aftermarket cooler - only confirmed working is Raijintek Morpheus II.

Vega also benefits from undervolting the card.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'd go for an RX Vega 56 ($429) & an aftermarket cooler - only confirmed working is Raijintek Morpheus II.

Vega also benefits from undervolting the card.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Im not sure if I would be comfortable changing to an aftermarket cooler. It looks like it would be quiet easy to damage the card.

I wouldn't do it if you're not comfortable. But in your case I'd probably just go for the Vega 56. You could wait it out for a bit and see what 3rd party options come to the table shortly, and there might be some price drops as well. The RX480 will be fine in the meantime, it's still adequate for VR - it's just far more so than normal games, VR really needs the best visual quality to get the most out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I went from using the vive with a 970 to a 1080 and it was money well spent

You could wait it out for a bit and see what 3rd party options come to the table shortly, and there might be some price drops as well.

I think it might be best to buy while im in the US,the price differences are huge. I can get it for €380 in the US if I use my 10% discount. Possibly €341 if the 10% discount for Black Friday works.

CHeapest on EBay is €603

€532 on Amazon UK

€532 on ComputerUniverse

Advertisement