Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should be provided in a rental apartment

Options
  • 11-11-2017 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

2 bed apartment so there is now 2x beds, lockers, drawers, table and chairs, sofa and sideboard. Also FF, cooker, washer/dryer, dishwasher and microwave. Curtains and blinds.
    Should there be kettle, toaster, iron, ironing board?
    Rugs, lamps, mirrors?
    Anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tuschinsky

I assume kitchen equipment and bed clothes and pillow are no too?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

It depends on what we you look at it, from a legal point of view only, the min. is the following:

•A washing machine
    •A clothes-dryer if the dwelling does not have a private garden or yard
    •4-ring hob with oven and grill
    •Cooker hood or extractor fan
    •Fridge and freezer, or a fridge-freezer
    •Microwave oven
    •Kitchen cupboards that are suitable and adequate for storing food
    •Sink with mains water supply, hot water and draining area

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

If it states the house is furnished usually in Ireland it comes with beds, mirrors, kitchen utensils and additional lamps etc may or may not be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

https://www.rtb.ie/landlords/rights-responsibilities-obligations/minimum-standards-for-rented-dwellings

A kettle would be normal but there's no obligation. Never heard of a landlord providing sheets/pillows and I wouldn't use them if they were. Mattresses have already been anywhere I've rented.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Don't forget fire blankets and smoke alarms. The RTB have set out the minimum requirements below

https://www.rtb.ie/landlords/rights-responsibilities-obligations/minimum-standards-for-rented-dwellings

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

It depends, if you are lookign from the regulation side only the following is a min.:

•A washing machine
    •A clothes-dryer if the dwelling does not have a private garden or yard
    •4-ring hob with oven and grill
    •Cooker hood or extractor fan
    •Fridge and freezer, or a fridge-freezer
    •Microwave oven
    •Kitchen cupboards that are suitable and adequate for storing food
    •Sink with mains water supply, hot water and draining area

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

In Ireland furnished would usually mean couches, dining room chairs and table, mirrors and beds and may include lamps or not in some cases.

Additional extras are kettle, utensils, pots and pans as well as additional lamps but landlord has no obligation to provide these. Again same with a vaccuum cleaner, toaster, iron and iron board.

I provide all of the above, including bed linen in the rentals that I look after, but I dont provide an iron or iron board, wont take responsibility for destroying a tenants clothes. Also the min. safety equipment as pointed out above, this is required too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Tuschinsky wrote: »
    2 bed apartment so there is now 2x beds, lockers, drawers, table and chairs, sofa and sideboard. Also FF, cooker, washer/dryer, dishwasher and microwave. Curtains and blinds.

Absolutely fine. But....
    Should there be kettle, toaster, iron, ironing board?
    Rugs, lamps, mirrors?
    Anything else?

Ah come on now. You are really expecting such things?
    Just buy them yourself and take them with you when you leave.

I'm not expecting them, I'm the landlord and am wondering what to provide.

Didn't mention mattress and fire blanket but will of course provide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm not expecting them, I'm the landlord and am wondering what to provide.

Ahh I see. My bad.
    But to answer your question I guess then don't provide the latter part.

Let them get their own toaster, iron board, kettle. Etc. You could spend a fair few bob buying all this and for someone not to use them. Then for another to even misuse and break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

In my previous rentals, I provided iron, Ironing board, vacuum, kettle and other things-as well as rugs and soft furnishings. When these things broke, the tenant did not replace tham and I did not find out until they left, or else, if they did break them, they wanted me to replace, which I had to, as I had initially provided them.
    In my last rental, I provided beds and mattresses, the basics in the kitchen, as required, and the rest is up to the tenant to provide themselves, it costs me a lot less, and I still get the same rent.
    They can buy the things and move them to the next place they live in if they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

My landlord basically provided a fully stocked kitchen; dishes, flatware, brand new pots and pans, toaster, kettle, utensils, etc. Even provided the makings of a few sandwiches in the fridge. It was a very nice gesture, but definitely well above and beyond anything I expected; it certainly wouldn't have put me off the place had none of that been provided. It was also a big help to me as I'd moved from overseas and hadn't brought any of that sort of stuff with me (was planning to buy my own over here), but I imagine many tenants may already have their own smaller items like that and anything you provide might just end up being in their way and taking up extra space.

Definitely don't bother providing bedsheets and towels and such; tenants will generally want to use their own. I'd suggest supplying mattresses if you have provided bed frames, as that's pretty standard and will be expected.

Rugs, mirrors, and other decorative items I'd suggest you leave out, as your tenants will likely want to decorate the place as they see fit anyway. No sense in spending money on items that the tenant is probably just going to chuck in a corner (or ask you to remove and store elsewhere). If the place has adequate light fixtures to provide illumination, I'd skip the lamps as well; again, the tenant will likely want to do their own thing and whatever table lamps you provide might not suit their decor. (If you have rooms without light fixtures, though, you might consider providing a basic floor lamp in those at least so the tenant has some sort of lighting available if they don't bring their own.)

I wouldn't go nuts buying fancy furnishings, because there's a chance your tenants might end up damaging it, and it will get worn out with use in any case. Best to buy stuff that's basic but sturdy and durable; if you buy the cheapest possible flimsy junk, it will definitely end up wrecked in short order, and if you provided it when the place was first rented, you are obligated to repair or replace it if it breaks (granted, if you can prove it was damaged through misuse/abuse, not ordinary wear and tear or manufacturing defects, you might be able to go after the tenant for the depreciated value, but that is a lot of hassle).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The landlord can claim capital allowance for furniture,cookers,beds etc over
    8 years.
    if theres 1 or 2 lights in very room .lamps should may not be needed .
    i would expect at least a bed and a mattress in any place i wanted to rent and at least 1 or 2 chest of drawers for cloth.s.
    With the rents landlords are getting nowadays they should provide a kettle,iron,
    a few plates and a few cups at least.
    a landlord i know provides blankets,pillow, duvets,
    a tv in each bedroom connected to a free to air sky reciever.
    the best thing is to provide basic good quality furniture that will last at least 5 years .
    And is not delicate or easy to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

Keep it simple, anything you provide you may have to replace if it breaks. Meet the legal requirements and provide decent quality (if targeting professional tenants). Stage the photos with nicely made beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As a tenant, I only want the bare minimum a landlord is required to provide. I don't want a kettle, toaster, iron, delph, kitchenware etc as I own my own, and I can nearly guarantee that they will be all be better quality than what a landlord will provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Our landlord provided the minimum + utensils, cookware, delph, bedding + laundry items. To be honest, I had most of the utensils etc myself and so I packed away the landlords new items to continue using my own. One practical advantage to just providing the minimum is that the tenant does not have to find somewhere to store the doubles of thjngs they may already have like ironing boards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

As a tenant les there is the better
    Most of the houses I rented I lose one bedroom to store al of the stuff from a landlord who wants not remove his crappy and ugly cheap stuff
    Have everything myself

Advertisement