Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denmark vs Ireland, World Cup Play-Off 1st Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2 & Sky Sports

• 11-11-2017 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

skysports-denmark-republic-of-ireland-football_4150359.jpg?20171108150836

There's not long to go now until the big clash tonight with Denmark, the biggest game we've played since...well, last month.

Both sides know that World Cup qualification is tantalisingly close but the situation is as tense as Roy Keane and Peter Schmeichel running into each other in a hallway, or Martin O'Neill and Tony O'Donoghue.

The historical record provides some encouragement to us ahead of the game. In the last four games with them we have won two and drawn two. Ireland's last visit to Denmark was a 4-0 friendly win in Aarhus. That game was a long time ago, though: 2007; so long ago that Shane Long actually managed to get on the scoresheet twice.

While Ireland are in good spirits after the away win in Wales, Denmark come into the game in great form themselves. They have yet to lose a game in 2017 and managed a 1-1 draw in a friendly with Germany in June, as well as a 4-0 victory over Poland in a September qualifying game.

Their danger man is undoubtedly the Danish Wes Hoolahan, Christian Eriksen, with 8 goals and 3 assists in qualifying. He's scored more goals than any midfielder in the qualification campaign. Their captain Simon Kjaer has been passed fit ahead of the game too.

For ourselves, Hendrick and Ward have been declared fit although not having Meyler due to suspension is a blow. Several Irish players run the risk of missing the second leg if they get booked tonight. James McClean being one of them. Damien Duff thinks management shouldn't tell McClean to calm down tonight as it might neutralise his strength. Not to mention it's about as likely to work as a "Don't push" sign next to a button would deter Father Dougal.

So what do we think the result tonight will be? Would 0-0 constitute a decent outcome or would that leave us sweating in the return game? Just how important is it for us to score tonight?

I have to say I do worry about the Eriksen threat and he's impressed me whenever I've seen him play this season. Wales didn't have the class to unlock our defence but I think Denmark do. I don't see us keeping a clean sheet tonight but I'm optimistic we can grab a goal. I'm going to say a 1-1 draw and hopefully we can then beat them in Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I gotta bad feeling about this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They have to score tonight to be honest. 0-0 is not a lot of use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Come on Ireland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

I take it there's no word on the starting XI yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This will be backs to the wall defensive performance. Fully expecting a man-marking job on Erikson with a lot of hit and hope. If nick an away goal it'll be he

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Aw the ****ing nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

tigger123 wrote: »
    I take it there's no word on the starting XI yet?

Probably be 6.20 for that. Back 5 picks itself, midfield probably be Whelan, Brady,McLean, arter and Hendrick. Then long up front, maybe Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm expecting a freeflowing, attack minded, stylish Ireland to take to the field and stun the opposition.

Oh wait. That's the rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We'll need to use our heads, but mostly our feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I'll never forgive them for attacking our monasteries, it's payback time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

A 2-0 win imo is a must for us to go through. Hopefully we do it ill even take a 1-0. Come on Ireland.

It will be the tie of the round, and we'll never have it easy. We always make it tough.
    Would be nice to fluke 3 goals and for every little thing to drop kindly to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

alta stare wrote: »
    A 2-0 win imo is a must for us to go through. Hopefully we do it ill even take a 1-0. Come on Ireland.

Why would we need a 2.0 away. As long as we don't lose 2.0 we have a great chance at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

I'd take a scrappy 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Tonight is the away match, did you think it was the home match? No way we are getting a 2 nil in denmark

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Why would we need a 2.0 away. As long as we don't lose 2.0 we have a great chance at home.

Because they will come to Dublin and score. If we have 2 away then its more pressure on them. If we have 1 and they have 1 then imo its still in their favour as they will come to Dublin and score. We need to shut them out tonight and 2 will see us in a way better position than they can handle come Dublin.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Tonight is the away match, did you think it was the home match? No way we are getting a 2 nil in denmark

Yeah i did i really thought Copenhagen was in Ireland.

Im sure you knew where i was coming from with my post so why the silly question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Mushy wrote: »
    man-marking job on Erikson

Could have done with Richie Keogh for this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

1-0 to Denmark but in fairness other than Eriksen they are in no way brilliant so I think if we go and play positively there's a decent result there for the taking.

Yeah i did i really thought Copenhagen was in Ireland.

Im sure you knew where i was coming from with my post so why the silly question?

Because it's silly to say 2 nil is the result needed in the away leg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Repeat of the last game against Wales please!

Because it's silly to say 2 nil is the result needed in the away leg

No it isnt. Are you seriously telling me 1-0 will be enough????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I think this hole of yours is getting awfully deep...

1 nil tonight would be an amazing result. We could well feck the 2nd leg up but you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you are turning your nose up at 1 nil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

There about the same as Wales one world class player and the rest of them are handy , We do absolutely need to get a result tonight because I believe we're set up a lot better to play away from home we'll stuggle at home I think

latest?cb=20140704095836

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

We'll win this 2-1

I think this hole of yours is getting awfully deep...

Is it? I asked a simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

1-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Should be going out to win this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Lol @ we need to win 2 0.

A 1 0 will have the entire country in meltdown celebrating .

A 0 0 is bloody fantastic.

A 2 1 defeat is not the worst. Much better than a 1 0 defeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

2-11 to 1-09

1 nil tonight would be an amazing result. We could well feck the 2nd leg up but you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you are turning your nose up at 1 nil

Amazing? Really????? Why????? Given how we are at home it is a dangerous scoreline for us.

Amazing? Really????? Why????? Given how we are at home it is a dangerous scoreline for us.

I get it now, you're having a laugh. You got me

Lol @ we need to win 2 0.

A 1 0 will have the entire country in meltdown celebrating .

A 0 0 is bloody fantastic.

A 2 1 defeat is not the worst. Much better than a 1 0 defeat

1-0 will have us in meltdown? Jesus talk about over exaggerating.

Did i say we would win 2-0 no i said to go through we would need to win 2-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well it didnt take long to hit sh*t in the thread.

The feckin Line-ups havent even been announced yet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Gonna be a tight tough 90mins for both sets of fans,1_1,0_0,or 1_0 either way is my prediction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Maybe, maybe not. 2-0 mightn’t be enough either, but a 2-1 defeat might end up being ‘enough’ depending on Tuesday.

Like others I’d snap your hand off for a 1-0 win but if you believe we ‘need’ to win by 2 tonight, I think that’s a bit mad!

Denmark might (probably will) score in Dublin, but Ireland are allowed to score at home too, you know? Any win or a score draw tonight would be a great result.

I get it now, you're having a laugh. You got me

I suppose we shall see tuesday who was right or wrong. We dont play well in Dublin we play well away and its tonight that this away form must really stay strong and a 2-0 win is what will put us through. Dublin on tuesday will not happen for us if we dont try and put them to the sword tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

latest?cb=20140704095836

Hate that ****

• Advertisement

DOXwFYRWkAAscsT?format=png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

We are playing away tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Brave move by O'Neill to start O'Dowda and not Whelan. Hope it works out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Because they will come to Dublin and score. If we have 2 away then its more pressure on them. If we have 1 and they have 1 then imo its still in their favour as they will come to Dublin and score. We need to shut them out tonight and 2 will see us in a way better position than they can handle come Dublin.

Using that logic i want a 10 nil win. That way they need 11 goals :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

There about the same as Wales one world class player and the rest of them are handy , We do absolutely need to get a result tonight because I believe we're set up a lot better to play away from home we'll stuggle at home I think

Who’s the world class player? Nicklas Bendtner?

Who’s the world class player? Nicklas Bendtner?

Christian Eriksen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Shocked by the attacking nature of the team we’ve picked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

pjohnson wrote: »
    Christian Eriksen

Good player, but hardly world class. Anyway, scoring a goal tonight is vital as I think the Danes will score on Tuesday. It’s all about the result over the two legs, performances and style don’t matter a hoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

pjohnson wrote: »
    Christian Eriksen

You will never convince an Arsenal fan that any Spurs player is World Class :D

Shocked by the attacking nature of the team we’ve picked!

4-2-3-1?

Hendrick Arter

O'Dowda Brady McClean

Murphy

• Advertisement
Advertisement