Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denmark vs Ireland, World Cup Play-Off 1st Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2 & Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Denmark look so worried, so disappointed. We have shaken their beliefs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

RikkFlair wrote: »
    That reminded me of the Norway game from USA94

Or Egypt in 90 if anyone remembers it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Well if we concede in Dublin we're done for, because we won't score two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That's Russia potentially gone, can't see us scoring 2 or more. At least we have no suspensions but they dont too

adox wrote: »
    Awful awful cowardly stuff as usual from O Neill.

As poor as Denmark were, Ireland deserved to lose that game.

Absolutely putrid tactics.

Yes it's hard to feel involved or proud with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ireland lucky to come away with a 0-0. Hard to see where goals will come from for Ireland on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

According to the Guardian
    And that’s that! It wasn’t exactly a classic, but Ireland won’t care. No away goal, but a goalless draw is fine reward for a determined display. Advantage to Martin O’Neill’s well-organised side ahead of the return leg in Dublin on Tuesday!

Denmark have the advantage, not Ireland.

''we wanted to come here and get 3pts ''

WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

LOL O'Dowda says they wanted to come away with 3 points.

WTF is happening.

Not mcleans biggest fan but I though he was a warrior tonight. Won ball after ball down the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Excellent result for Ireland, though the game won't live long in the memory. It's in their hands on tuesday night now. Randolph MOTM for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don't consider it 'job done' at all.

Away goals are vital. If Denmark get one, we're probably fúcked now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Odowda,disappointed not to get 3 pts:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    If the approach was right we could have beaten them tonight

Or if we were more attacking we might have lost 2-0.

Pure nonsense saying that we would have won playing more attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Danes were mostly hopeless, will be disappointed to not go through to be honest after watching them tonight. A similar display will probably put us out as wanting to attack will get more chances than not wanting to at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

niallo27 wrote: »
    Or Egypt in 90 if anyone remembers it.

Exactly what it reminded me of.

We'll have to settle for the 1pt and a one place in table climb.

LOL O'Dowda says they wanted to come away with 3 points.

WTF is happening.

Have UEFA changed the rules again, nothing would surprise me since that new Nations League oddity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

''we wanted to come here and get 3pts ''

WTF

Ah we know what he was saying, he obviously meant the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

According to the Guardian

Denmark have the advantage, not Ireland.

Exactly but try explain that to people on here. Our home form suggests we will struggle there and 1 goal from the Danes and we are in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Not an ounce of sweat on O'Dowda there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Terrible game, but 0-0 will do.

Big improvement needed.

Randolf deserved MOTM, he has been our standout from the campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Dementia and Irish football - new links uncovered. This and the weather at 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It’s silly to expect anything else from O Neill at this stage, he is a one dimensional manager, and he’ll justify it by still being in the tournament.

The madness of it all is if we get knocked out we are stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

alta stare wrote: »
    Exactly but try explain that to people on here. Our home form suggests we will struggle there and 1 goal from the Danes and we are in trouble.

Aye, I don't know if we could score twice against them. They are tough to break down. Hopefully our defence stays solid on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

What is the point of going to Russia if that is the limit of our ambition?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Randolph was superb tonight. But we can't rely on him getting us out of jail again on Tuesday.

I think we'd all of taken the draw with the hope of winning the return leg at home. It's set up nicely now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ireland are the Mark Corrigan of international football.

"The fun stops here, my friend."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    If the approach was right we could have beaten them tonight

The home and away leg are two completely different games. We managed the first leg against a better side, and are still in it. We have 90 minutes experience against them now and have a much better idea of them ahead of playing football against them on Tuesday.

IMO, it's job done, and we can beat them on Tuesday. They'll be without they're home advantage and we can push on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

mzungu wrote: »
    Aye, I don't know if we could score twice against them. They are tough to break down. Hopefully our defence stays solid on Tuesday.

If Ireland go 1 - 0 up on Tuesday how squeaky will our bums be, in your honest opinion, knowing that if the Danes equalise we are more than likely fcked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Im ok with that, moreso as the Danes looked distraught at the final whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

O Dowda spoke well I thought. Made a boo boo but presume that’s the adrenalyin.

Undecided what I think of a nil all. Ideal would have been an away goal but Sure look.

They’re no world beaters. It’ll go down to the wire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lol at people tryna get thanks at George saying 1pt and Callum 3pts. Id say 90% of people can understand what they meant.

SlickRic wrote: »
    I don't consider it 'job done' at all.

Away goals are vital. If Denmark get one, we're probably fúcked now.

The thing is, even starting with the putrid tactics from O Neill, a good manager would have seen what was unfolding and that Denmark were really poor and could easily be got at.

But O Neill is just too inflexible, too afraid to risk anything.

I’ve watched football for decades and I’m a realist in so far as the limitations of the players available but I find his tactics absolutely embarrassing and cowardly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There's that pox with the bell!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

predictable game, shackles will only come off if we qualify for Russia. Aviva on Tuesday will be similar, dont be surprised if it goes to penalities. Bendter being brought on too huge reception, yet he could not score against Dundalk in the Champions League over 180 minutes!! says alot about the quality of Denmark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Jaysus that was woeful to watch. What else would you expect from the Irish Mourinho I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Can't wait for another 120mins of that. Can FIFA just make them do a penalty shootout at 7-45 instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Their away results in qualifying

Poland 3–2 Denmark
    Romania 0–0 Denmark
    Kazakhstan 1–3 Denmark
    Armenia 1–4 Denmark
    Montenegro 0–1 Denmark

Just out of interest

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Would have liken a goal. Tuesday is huge now. One of the biggest games in the history of Irish internationals probably. I hope the team are up for it.

• Advertisement

Good from Duff there

I thought Randolph was good but I don't think he pulled any great saves out. They were all routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Terrible

But no cards
    0-0
    We found out Denmark don't cope well under any pressure

We could have beat them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Denmark are a poor team, Ireland a poor team also and one with no interest in pressing the issue with the game.

Whats the point exactly? Qualify, play 3 games in the group and go home again? Where is the progression like. It is terrible to watch and damaging long term. We don't have the players to go swashbuckling attacking against teams but we sure as **** have the players to attempt to play positive football and look to compete against a team such as Denmark.

Qualification is obviously the end goal and the fanfare will commence if Ireland do in fact go to the World Cup,but it will be a hollow victory for me if this is going to continue to be the style of football and level of confidence the manager will instill in his players and freedom he allows them to express themselves. It being Martin O Neill I expect nothing else.

Denmark score one in Dublin they are through and they can go hell for leather at it now knowing they can afford to concede and it has little to no consequence and Ireland have actually got to try to play to win which will lead to more opportunities for Denmark to get shots on goal.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Brady is judge and jury on Denmark now. Knew nothing about them 2 hours ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jaysus that was woeful to watch. What else would you expect from the Irish Mourinho I suppose.

Wahey. Thread always gets fun now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Good from Duff there

Some passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

mzungu wrote: »

I said earlier we needed to score two to go through and i got jumped on, note i said we needed not we would but oters seem to think i said we would. I agree with you that we wont score two against them.....at home, away possibly but home no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

The way that game went had nothing to do with the pitch Martin

Fair ****s to Duff.

Lol at O Neill. “The pitch was dodgy”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement