Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denmark vs Ireland, World Cup Play-Off 1st Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2 & Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

90 minutes away from qualification after a 0-0 draw away against a better side and the first thing some people want to talk about is how bad the manager is. FFS.

If we make it through it'll be 2 from 2 for MON. I can't think of any manager we could realistically get who'd do better.

We don't have the players to play exciting football, it's as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Denmark's tactic of long ball really suits us I think. Duffy will clear those all day long.

We'll have the crowd behind us on Tuesday and I think we'll see a much more composed performance going forward. I am very hopeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Tony pussying out of asking any challenging questions.

Duff's vintage now look like a golden generation compared to this. Utterly joyless, and it starts with this dude being interviewed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

90 minutes away from qualification after a 0-0 draw away against a better side and the first thing some people want to talk about is how bad the manager is. FFS.

If we make it through it'll be 2 from 2 for MON. I can't think of any manager we could realistically get who'd do better.

The whingers be gutted if we did win. They'd still whinge but it'd look even funnier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

An awful game to watch but 0-0 isn't the worst result I suppose. If Denmark score in Dublin we'll be right up against it though.

Randolph was superb tonight, keeping us in the tie. I bet O'Neill will set us up very defensive again on Tuesday and look to nick one late on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I know we don't

But we can play better than we play.

We did at Euros and that was only 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If they can't score at home why are we so sure they will score in Dublin. We have been great at the back.

The Wes thing - jaysus Eamon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

adox wrote:
    Lol at O Neill. “The pitch was dodgyâ€.

Neither side kept it on the ground anyway.
    Until Dunphy mentioned him I forgot Murphy had played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

niallo27 wrote: »
    I thought Randolph was good but I don't think he pulled any great saves out. They were all routine.

Save for the header after 80 mins was very good. Also that double save in the first half (though the second shot was straight at him). He kept a cool head and kept us in the game.

No yellows is actually a life saver. We can go full thunder now at home with the crowd behind them. A 1-0 win here with Christie/Clark/Duffy/McClean etc. suspended for Dublin would be a far worse situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jesus, that was a tight watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A black hole for football

That's what this team is

Liam - doesn't believe we have players too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Denmark's tactic of long ball really suits us I think. Duffy will clear those all day long.

Let hope they don't change tact and try and move it through Eriksen. He's not as good the EPL hype suggests but good enough to find gaps in our team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Usually i always suspect dunphy to spout hyperbole but hes right tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I don't get all the negative talk...

One home game left - if we win we qualify for the world cup... we would have taken that at the start of qualifying so come on Ireland!

#Ibelieve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dunphy: "We're here to be analysts"

Indeed. Brady knew nothing about Denmark before the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It was a good result alright but come on man. Where was the composure it was just hoof everytime. I don't even want exciting football, any football would do me.

• Advertisement

If they can't score at home why are we so sure they will score in Dublin. We have been great at the back.

Sure the Welsh will beat us we'll never make the play off we are no hopers.....oh hang on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dunphy: "We're here to be analysts"

They can analyse what they've just watched can they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Dunphy talking about how Keane and O'Neil should feel shame. He'll be backtracking on Tuesday if Ireland qualify talking about how they've gotten the best out of an ordinary team and qualifying for 2 tournaments in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

One mistake at the back from us is all it takes. They're away from their own crowd so they may not feel the pressure from their fans as much as tonight. We have been fairly ****e at home too. I really hope we do go out and win on Tuesday and win well. But tonight felt like a chance missed and its not the first time I've had that feeling in this campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Penos I'd say.

ricero wrote: »

Boards always agrees with Dunphy really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

adox wrote: »
    Fair ****s to Duff.

Lol at O Neill. “The pitch was dodgy”.

It actually was. Some funny bobbles.

But we were terrible. We’re not Barcelona but it’s bull**** to say we can’t play better football than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We are a bad team, but judging by that performance, they are not much better. At Lansdowne Road, we have a chance. I just hope we are not too timid to take it.

Dunphy talking about how Keane and O'Neil should feel shame. He'll be backtracking on Tuesday if Ireland qualify talking about how they've gotten the best out of an ordinary team and qualifying for 2 tournaments in a row.

IN fairness Dunphy is out of touch -

But he is always happy to go to a major.

He will be consistent and has been on the fact we should play ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I wish he started reading out random facts about Denmark.
    Denmark is an archipelago made up of over 100 islands, some of which are not even inhabited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

How in Gods name did West Ham get rid of Randolph and take in that clown Hart??

Hope I am not putting the hex on him, but at this present time he is a much better keeper than Hart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

pjohnson wrote: »
    ricero wrote: »

Boards always agrees with Dunphy really.

If I ever find myself agreeing with Dunphy, I reconsider my position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

We've nothing to fear from Denmark on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If Ireland to toe-to-toe with this Danish team and attack them away from home, they lose. Denmark have better players and better attacking players. Tonight was the right approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Fascinating insight from Damo. Why on earth would you not talk about Eriksen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jesus, I'm not too hopeful for the second leg. Yes we had a few chances but they had real chances. Randolf was excellent saved our bacon a few times.

We are screwed if they score the away goal the next night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

dunphy-pen.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Duff talking sense. The other two talking ****e. Dunphy thinks we should still be relying on a 35 year old that plays for Norwich sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Fascinating insight from Damo. Why on earth would you not talk about Eriksen?

Seems like he's wasted no time in adapting the Dunphy philosophy of the RTE panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I know we don't

But we can play better than we play.

We did at Euros and that was only 2 years ago.

We had the same manager at the euros, which you wouldn't think by reading some of the posts on here.

Denmark scored four goals at home in two separate games in the qualifiers. I can see why O'Neill wasn't keen on going all out against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think this could well finish 0-0 over two legs and it would be just typical if Norway nicked an away goal in ET. Norway definitely favourites right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I don't usually watch on RTE but left it on because Duffer was on the panel. Does Dunphy always go on about Wes this way? It would make some drinking game.

Duff is very good on this and doesn't chat shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Daryl Murphy, Calum O' Dowda, Stephen Ward - these are very poor players. Our team is not good, not good at all,especially when we pin our hopes on a 35 year old Championship reserve player in Wes Hoolahan. I really don't remember such a weak Irish team in my life, and I am a grandfather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I’m not sure what people were expecting. It’s half time. It would have been absolutely foolhardy to go there gung ho.

At least wait til after Tuesday to proclaim MON the killer of football.

Reality check. We’re a win away from qualifying for the World Cup for the first time in SIXTEEN YEARS.

It just so happens the match is at home, against a team we frustrated in their own back yard for 90 minutes.

Some bizarre people on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Anyone criticising our hoof ball tonight should keep in mind that Denmark were the exact same.

Someone said it was like watching two Tony Pulis sides playing each other and that was spot on.

It's a weird situation because on the face of it, you would usually consider a 0-0 away to Denmark to be a very good result.

But in a playoff situation it's a knife edge now for Tuesday because if Denmark score first then I'd say that's curtains.

On the other hand, if Ireland are going to beat a side like Denmark then the most likely way of doing it would be 1-0 anyway so I think O'Neill will be privately chuffed to bits with this situation.

But I'd worry for the away goal scenario.

If Ireland do score first lets hope it's a late goal too coz O Neill has a nasty habit of sitting back on a lead so I'd expect another cautious display Tuesday.
    Then after an hour bring on Hoolihan and try to nick it 1-0.

Long needs to start this one either way.

Oh and by the way, fair play to the Ref tonight, he was excellent. Linesman should have spotted Long's shot being a corner but Ref was very good. Kept cards in his pocket after so much being made of both teams having several on yellows.
    And no real home town decisions. He handled it very well imo.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think this could well finish 0-0 over two legs and it would be just typical if Norway nicked an away goal in ET. Norway definitely favourites right now.

Jaysus - we are not that bad at back that Norway could score :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Randolph was actually poor for the Eriksen shot which rebounded to Sisto who couldn't finish it.

If Sisto buries that then the narrative is totally different. He had a good game overall but throwing around superlatives like "brilliant" and "excellent" is OTT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The whole thing about it being 2 hoofball sides is a bit misguided to be honest. They played a bit of long ball but tried to get through playing football a lot of the time as well, we barely even played long ball because we barely even had it to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

thelad95 wrote: »

and what has them scoring got to do with us v Denmark ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

How in Gods name did West Ham get rid of Randolph and take in that clown Hart??

Hope I am not putting the hex on him, but at this present time he is a much better keeper than Hart
    Ah here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement