Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denmark vs Ireland, World Cup Play-Off 1st Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2 & Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

WTF is that on Randolph's left eyeball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    and what has them scoring got to do with us v Denmark ?

Zlatan is some man and could do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think this could well finish 0-0 over two legs and it would be just typical if Norway nicked an away goal in ET. Norway definitely favourites right now.

Norway could make it real interesting. Hopefully Sweden turn up too make it a real shindig.

Dunphy all flipped now.

He is nuts. All positive now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Jaysus - we are not that bad at back that Norway could score :D:D:D:D

I blame the Eurovision. Everyone expecting their neighbours to vote them through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think this could well finish 0-0 over two legs and it would be just typical if Norway nicked an away goal in ET. Norway definitely favourites right now.

Probably one of the smarter post match posts we'll see :pac:

So just to sum it up. Unless Ireland go 2 goals clear on Tuesday the whole game is going to be bloody nerve wrecking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

niallo27 wrote: »
    If they can't score at home why are we so sure they will score in Dublin. We have been great at the back.

It wasn't great defending that kept them out, the goalkeeper made a couple of good saves and I can remember at least one howler of a miss. I wouldn't be banking on a clean sheet anyway.

Don't get me wrong, happy to be still in the tie and its the usual with Ireland and qualification, going to the last game. I don't see the problem with critically assessing the game I just watched though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Corholio wrote: »
    The whole thing about it being 2 hoofball sides is a bit misguided to be honest. They played a bit of long ball but tried to get through playing football a lot of the time as well, we barely even played long ball because we barely even had it to do that.

Are you having a laugh? It was hoofball all the way. The only time they “played ball” was when they were picking up second balls off the original hoof. You can’t really hoof it 50 yards when you’re 25 from goal.

I’ve honestly seen more constructive play in the LOI this year.

Having Eriksen in a team like that is a bit like handing Michelangelo a Crayola set for the Sistine Chapel job.

So just to sum it up. Unless Ireland go 2 goals clear on Tuesday the whole game is going to be bloody nerve wrecking...

No once we get 3 points we are in world cup as per the lads. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

No.

If we equalize before they score, we go to Sweden to play Norway in a penalty shoot out.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

I know this is a bit twisted

But in hindsight - the way MON is
    the away game 2nd would have bizarrely suited Ireland more

No.

If we equalize before they score, we go to Sweden to play Norway in a penalty shoot out.

and we all get 3 points :D and a trip to Finland for a playoff in the playoffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Corholio wrote: »
    The whole thing about it being 2 hoofball sides is a bit misguided to be honest. They played a bit of long ball but tried to get through playing football a lot of the time as well, we barely even played long ball because we barely even had it to do that.

And when they played it long you could see it had a purpose. Kjaer played a beautiful diagonal ball in the first half that we nearly conceded from whereas anything we got a foot to was just lumped in the general direction of Murphy. Dire stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

DeanAustin wrote:
    Having Eriksen in a team like that is a bit like handing Michelangelo a Crayola set for the Sistine Chapel job.

Ffs, comparing Eriksen to Michaelangelo.
    If it was Messi or Ronaldo I wouldn't mind but Christian Eriksen is just stretching it a tad too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It will be similar to the Welsh game where we knew just one goal from them meant we were screwed.

I imagine us in front going into the final moments of the game and then Denmark bombing in long balls, all the while George Hamilton tempts fate talking about what a great asset Irish fans would be to the tournament in Russia while the clock shows there's still five minutes to go.

I just hope there isn't a final sting in the tail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Still bloody nerve wrecking if we’re 2 up!

It is a bit mad to watch pro ball players bang it up the pitch into corners

We use to do that in North Dublin in the 80s.

It is stone age stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

Have to love the variety of the accents in the Irish interviews :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

And now Brady is on the Hoolahan bandwagon. FFS.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ffs, comparing Eriksen to Michaelangelo.
    If it was Messi or Ronaldo I wouldn't mind but Christian Eriksen is just stretching it a tad too much.

He’s nowhere near the Messi/Ronaldo class but compared to some of the muck on the display tonight, it’s not an unfair analogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I just can not see us keeping Denmark out for the 90, while having to score ourselves. It's possible, we can do it, but I feel a dour score draw will do the job for The Danes.

Liam saying what I said.

THey are pro players -

Mad to see them bang it like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Denmark are massive favorites in my opinion now. We needed to score tonight. We are incapable of scoring two goals in a game against a half decent team which we will need to do imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wish Brady would **** off

• Advertisement

Dunphy all flipped now.

He is nuts. All positive now.

That's Dunphy in a nutshell. I like him, most pundits would bore the pants off me.
    But not Eamonn. He's there to start a row and when nobody bothers arguing with him he will contradict himself a few minutes later.
    It's as though he thinks "well that didn't create any controversy so I'll try the opposite".

So he starts arguing with himself. It's punditry masturbation. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

His name is Sisto you goon. He's not a bloody router.

Arghus wrote: »
    I just can not see us keeping Denmark out for the 90, while having to score ourselves. It's possible, we can do it, but I feel a dour score draw will do the job for The Danes.

Or we press them more and they collapse

I genuinely thing these lads are "get at able".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Jaysus - we are not that bad at back that Norway could score :D:D:D:D

i am down to the bookies tomorrow, no way we can lose to Norway on Tuesday, World Cup here we come ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

golfball37 wrote: »
    Denmark are massive favorites in my opinion now. We needed to score tonight. We are incapable of scoring two goals in a game against a half decent team which we will need to do imo

Ireland scored two against Bosnia & Herzegovina in Dublin. We thought they were half-decent up until the moment we decided they were shíte if Ireland could beat them.

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »

Yeah but you're assuming Ireland will concede. One will do potentially.

Peno's looks a fair bet to me.

That's Dunphy in a nutshell. I like him, most pundits would bore the pants off me.
    But not Eamonn. He's there to start a row and when nobody bothers arguing with him he will contradict himself a few minutes later.
    It's as though he thinks "well that didn't create any controversy so I'll try the opposite".

So he starts arguing with himself. It's punditry masturbation. :D

Unless his mind is gone and is just years of the good times baby.

Tony doing his best to talk the Danish players in to a great performance on Tuesday ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Or we press them more and they collapse

I genuinely thing these lads are "get at able".

It's possible, but when was the last time we were able to do that against a team at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Obviously you never played ball in your life. I'd love to get you out playing with lads that didn't make it in the English league system. Maybe then you would understand just how good every player on that field actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Super performance. We will beat them 2-0 Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Tony o'Donoghue to danish manager

'' it's advantage Denmark now isn't it ''

go wan say it ,, say it , say it , it is isn't is, say it

What a fcking dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

DeanAustin wrote: »
    He’s nowhere near the Messi/Ronaldo class but compared to some of the muck on the display tonight, it’s not an unfair analogy.
    In terms of ability, Eriksen might as well have been a Messi or Ronaldo on the pitch.A top quality footballer without any shadow of a doubt, I thought if anything, maybe he disappointed tonight, if only by his very high standards.

Duff is refreshing and played at top level recently.

Nice to see someone on panel with more money than Dunphy too

Tony o'Donoghue to danish manager

'' it's advantage Denmark now isn't it ''

go wan say it ,, say it , say it , it is isn't is, say it

What a fcking dick.

Did he speak to Norwegian manager too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

We played well at home to Serbia in a must win game, with Meyler and Wes.
    We might do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

RTE played Saturday night song at the end there. They must be reading boards. :p

Unless his mind is gone and is just years of the good times baby.

Haha, well yeah that's a possibility too. :D

Either way, he's entertaining and very intelligent, he'd argue the night sky is blue just for the craic and win most arguments.

I'd have him over 99% of pundits out there any day.

Phil Neville, Shearer, Mills, etc, jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We had a shot heading for goal that hit keepers shoulder, we had a clear cut chance dropped on a plate from a free kick in front of goal and mis-kicked it we had a free header from a corner that flew into hands of keeper, on another night this could have been 3-1 .

We might do it again.

Meyler a massive bonus

Have they got anyone coming back ?

In terms of ability, Eriksen might as well have been a Messi or Ronaldo on the pitch.A top quality footballer without any shadow of a doubt, I thought if anything, maybe he disappointed tonight, if only by his very high standards.

He was poor tonight but he struggled to find space and you could see a few times he was looking for a pass and there was no decent movement in front of him.

Eriksen is quality in the right team. He’ll never dominate a game but where he has good players around him creating space and making runs, he’ll pick them out. This Danish team doesn’t have that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

We might do it again.

How did that game go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

eagle eye wrote: »
    Obviously you never played ball in your life. I'd love to get you out playing with lads that didn't make it in the English league system. Maybe then you would understand just how good every player on that field actually is.

Ive played with a few lads who were Irish premier league guys and some Conference English guys and they were late thirties early forties but still miles better than any of the other lads there.
    Anyone who makes it as a pro is going to be miles better than the every day Joe, its not even up for debate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It would be a good result if there was a sense that we planned to really have a go at them in the home leg, but I imagine the second leg will be a 'keep it tight and contain' job also.

To get to the world cup we either win on penalties or score more goals, and I cannot see where those goals are going to come from when we play that way.

Advertisement