Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denmark vs Ireland, World Cup Play-Off 1st Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2 & Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Haha, well yeah that's a possibility too. :D

Either way, he's entertaining and very intelligent, he'd argue the night sky is blue just for the craic and win most arguments.

I'd have him over 99% of pundits out there any day.

Phil Neville, Shearer, Mills, etc, jaysus!

I like him too - would read or listen to him on anything.

He brings that artistic , touchy freely, voice of the nation aspect.

He is a bit gone in head a long time.

But a lovable rogue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Haha, well yeah that's a possibility too. :D

Either way, he's entertaining and very intelligent, he'd argue the night sky is blue just for the craic and win most arguments.

I'd have him over 99% of pundits out there any day.

Phil Neville, Shearer, Mills, etc, jaysus!

I watch him for the entertainment factor but he’s a very very intelligent man and great at arguing.

I’ll never forget him arguing with Kenny Cunningham a while back. Destroyed him and the funny thing was, I thought Dunphy was completely wrong. He did likewise with Darragh Maloney over Noel King and Souness over England.

He’s no fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

We had a shot heading for goal that hit keepers shoulder, we had a clear cut chance dropped on a plate from a free kick in front of goal and mis-kicked it we had a free header from a corner that flew into hands of keeper, on another night this could have been 3-1 .

The only really clear cut chance of the game was yer man Sisko or Sisto or whatever he's called.
    That was a sitter.

Other than that mostly nothing that would suggest a 4 goal game mate.

Fair result imo. But Denmark probably feeling they should have scraped it and would be hard to argue with that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Poor fare tonight lads, from the bits I watched and I think it's gonna be more of the same in the second leg. You can't afford to concede at home. Wouldn't surprise me if it went to penalties.
    We played well at home to Serbia in a must win game, with Meyler and Wes.
    We might do it again.

I thought you lost at home to Serbia?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Meyler a massive bonus

Have they got anyone coming back ?

Tell me you've changed your username, I've always read it as FixedPitchmark, why am I only seeing it as Fixde tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Super performance. We will beat them 2-0 Tuesday.
    I wish I had your optimism. Could only muster 2/9 points at home against Serbia, Austria & Wales. 
    What makes you think we can beat the Danes 2 nil?
    Give me some of those drugs you've taken, sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

When Lansdowne was a kip it was much more favorable for Ireland.

osarusan wrote: »
    It would be a good result if there was a sense that we planned to really have a go at them in the home leg, but I imagine the second leg will be a 'keep it tight and contain' job also.

To get to the world cup we either win on penalties or score more goals, and I cannot see where those goals are going to come from when we play that way.

I know we can't score.

But if we just get a set piece , then a goal when they are chasing we are in World cup.

After the group we had -
    where we were with 2 games to go in group.

A match at home against one of worse teams in playoffs at 0-0
    I'd bite the hand off ya.

Imagine facing away in Italy
    Croatia
    even Sweden

Being realistic - we are a very limited team , who have no right to make world cup.

A playoff against them at home - bring it on.

I genuinely think if we press hard fast and kick lumps out of them, we could take them. Crowd etc.

I'm just saying - I'd take it a year ago.

Tell me you've changed your username, I've always read it as FixedPitchmark, why am I only seeing it as Fixde tonight?

I know - a hidden trick , a sort of Dublin twist on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Berserker wrote: »

Sounded like a sarcastic comment, to me, mocking the calls to bring on Hoolahan, and play with a bit more of an attacking mindset. A 0-1 is where all that got the team against Serbia in Dublin. No-one remembers or cares about games where Ireland played well and still lost. Certainly not a month or more after the fact.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »

To get to the world cup we either win on penalties or score more goals, and I cannot see where those goals are going to come from when we play that way.

Chicken and egg. O'Neill and Keane work with the players. They have judged, rightly or wrongly, we don't have the players and if we tried to play the continental teams at their own game we would get trashed.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I watch him for the entertainment factor but he’s a very very intelligent man and great at arguing.

I’ll never forget him arguing with Kenny Cunningham a while back. Destroyed him and the funny thing was, I thought Dunphy was completely wrong. He did likewise with Darragh Maloney over Noel King and Souness over England.

He’s no fool.

100% right fella.

He's highly intelligent and he'd destroy most people in any sort of debate.
    Not just limited to football either.

I don't think he even cares which side of a debate he's on, he'd win.

I've huge respect for him. He has a great brain and I think sometimes he gets bored and goes for controversy and enjoys a giggle about the reaction it causes.
    But yeah, he's certainly no fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Poor fare tonight lads, from the bits I watched and I think it's gonna be more of the same in the second leg. You can't afford to concede at home. Wouldn't surprise me if it went to penalties.

We were the better team on the night against Serbia

Wales were the better team against us in Cardiff

Sometimes results aren't black and white just because you are home or away or just because you were the better team on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Tony o'Donoghue to danish manager

'' it's advantage Denmark now isn't it ''

go wan say it ,, say it , say it , it is isn't is, say it

What a fcking dick.

Tony is a gob****e.

We have sucked the life out of them 1-0 win on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Eriksen is useless

We were the better team on the night against Serbia

Do you want to be the "better" team or do you want to win?

Let's face it we'll have to endure the nerves if we want to qualify on Tuesday cause it ain't changing now!

We'll go 1 - 0 up and sit back the rest of the game and ride our luck again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Our performances in the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign were almost identical - does nobody remember the horror show that was Scotland away? Scotland at home was dire, we struggled past Georgia home and away, Poland away was crap, and at home wasn't much better. Germany home = Wales away.

We played the same stuff last time, we went away from home last time and got a draw in the play-off and then we came back to Dublin and won.

We went to the Euros and we were the better team against Sweden, we deserved our win v Italy and we produced a heroic performance against possibly the best side in the world, losing out narrowly (in terms of pure talent at least).

We could go back to the Bosnia game thread and see the exact same stuff being written. It's crazy how similarly it has all panned out so far. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and I'm confident if we make the World Cup we will do ourselves proud.

Do you want to be the "better" team or do you want to win?

Completely not the point I made. Maybe read it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

we play....what i call....territory football

work our way up the pitch with free kicks, throw in's, header's on

and its quite frankly caveman..but its effective (against certain teams)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Last match Hoolahan played for the Republic he gave a man-of-the-match performance .
    Why has he been left out of the last few matches ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

briany wrote: »

Sounded like a sarcastic comment, to me, mocking the calls to bring on Hoolahan, and play with a bit more of an attacking mindset. A 0-1 is where all that got the team against Serbia in Dublin. No-one remembers or cares about games where Ireland played well and still lost. Certainly not a month or more after the fact.

It wasn't sarcastic. We played really well and were unlucky to lose. And even though we lost, our midfield played very well.

Main point was that MON might try something different, and it's not impossible that Meyler and Wes could start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

theballz wrote: »
    Eriksen is useless

A comment like that could come back to bite you in the bum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

A comment like that could come back to bite you in the bum.

And it probably will too. Thanks a lot.

Last match Hoolahan played for the Republic he gave a man-of-the-match performance .

Murphy was MOTM against Moldova, but Wes was the most influential player if that is what you mean. Different type of game though to be fair.

theballz wrote: »
    Eriksen is useless

Eriksen is a cracker of a player.

It's a compliment to how well Ireland defended that someone would watch tonight's game and declare Eriksen to be "useless".

But he's a smashing player and I would be much happier if he wasn't playing next Tuesday.

Hoolihan is Ireland's most gifted attacking/creative player.

Yet being honest I'd love it if we could swap him for Eriksen.

Yer wrong about Eriksen. And he might come back to haunt us yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd guess MON was going for a 0-0 tonight, and thought that if he played Wes tonight he wouldn't be fully capable of playing on Tue night.

So plan was to get 0-0 tonight and bring in some better players on Tue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I do think to tonight was a case of it could have been better and it could been worse, a big improvement is needed going into Tuesday nights game however.

I do think we will be the happier of the two sides going after tonights game. Denmark failed to capitalise on a number of key chances which will hopefully come back to bite them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd guess MON was going for a 0-0 tonight, and thought that if he played Wes tonight he wouldn't be fully capable of playing on Tue night.

Hope you are right - but when you see the players he brought on at the end I think it doesn't bode well for Wes

It wasn't sarcastic. We played really well and were unlucky to lose. And even though we lost, our midfield played very well.

Main point was that MON might try something different, and it's not impossible that Meyler and Wes could start.

Meyler will definitely start, probably Long also (and he deserves to, showed how NB he could possibly be when he did come on...Murphy doesn't have the speed to chase the sort of balls we play out and he forces a lot of fouls by holding the ball up with back to ball awaiting support)

Toss up between Arter and Wes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

He's 35. He plays for Norwich in the Championship and has only made 7 or 8 appearances this season. Wes has not got the legs for it anymore and the fact we are constantly pining for him worries me for the future of Irish football.

He's like our Messi the way some folk talk about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

fryup wrote: »
    we play....what i call....territory football

work our way up the pitch with free kicks, throw in's, header's on

and its quite frankly caveman..but its effective (against certain teams)

Similar enough to rugby when a team starts kicking for the territory rather than keeping the ball, running at the opposition and passing the ball.

At one stage tonight I thought we were actually deliberately kicking for the corners of the pitch!

NIMAN wrote: »

Yeah agreed, but he still wont start Wes Tuesday. Long will start alright, yeah. Wes won't.

Wes off the bench around 60 mins if still 0-0 would be my guess.

It's O'Neill. Safety first.

It was like we were having a competition to see who could kick it the furthest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

He's 35. He plays for Norwich in the Championship and has only made 7 or 8 appearances this season. Wes has not got the legs for it anymore and the fact we are constantly pining for him worries me for the future of Irish football.

And the management think Robbie Brady is a better player

• Advertisement

Wes has not got the legs for it anymore and the fact we are constantly pining for him worries me for the future of Irish football.

People aren't really pining for him. They're pining for a creative player who can create something from nothing.

Sadly there is a dearth of players who have that capability in that position available for Ireland.

And that's why people talk about him so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Can't stick that RTE panel at this stage.
    They are turning into a pardoy of themselves.
    That type of play gets results with very limited players against more technical players.
    Even Denmark have decided that tippy tappy pretty football was not going to qualify them for tournaments.
    And now go and get the points to qualify for a major tournaments a more direct route which Duff admitted suits thier players.

The panel are in a state of denial. None of them have mentioned that all the managers since McCarthy have played this way for what reason?

Because it is the only way the players can get results. None of the panel are managers because they are in dreamland. Head in the clouds and talking like an opposition party in the dail we would do xyz...

How long did Dunphy last as a manager with his Shamrock Rovers dream?
    How long did Brady last at Celtic?
    Has Duff ever managed?

Look at the players and Hoolahan is not Iniesta for f**ks sake!

The one that really annoyed me was when it was said by Mr 'Tired and emotional'
    'How can Roy Keane and Martin O'Neill let Ireland play that way? Martin and Roy were great players... who played football the right way'

When the answers were bleeding obvious.
    1) There are no equivalent players to MON or Roy Keane in the Irish team.
    2) MON and Roy Keanes objective is to qualify for competitions to do this they have to set the team out in the most effective way to qualify

I get the impression that the RTE panel want to see football played 'the right way' but not qualify for tournaments. Like in Eoin Hand's era.

Of course Dunphy STILL slated him as well!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

naughtb4 wrote: »
    And the management think Robbie Brady is a better player

The management also think sitting back for 90 minutes and hoping for a break is a good tactic for every game. Let these players play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Wes Hoolahan would have been about as useful as a chocolate tea pot in that match.

If he gets 60 or even 45 minutes Tuesday he could make a big impact for sure. Tonight? Would have been a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Toss up between Arter and Wes

Frustrates me a bit how cheaply Arter gives the ball away sometimes, for a premier league midfielder.
    I can forgive the back 4 for sometimes hoofing it away cos their job is to defend , but second half tonight we were poor enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Tuesday needs a fundamental shift. Wes has to play.

If it reaches a point where Wes is coming off the bench, I think unfortunately the race will already have been run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

thought the black guy Sisto was the best player on the pitch, even though he missed a sitter

wonder will he be replaced with Bentner on tuesday?

One thing that annoyed me bigtime was Clarke repeatedly fouling them when we had set pieces. Brainless.

People aren't really pining for him. They're pining for a creative player who can create something from nothing.

Sadly there is a dearth of players who have that capability in that position available for Ireland.

And that's why people talk about him so much.

Newsflash Wes Hoolahan is an average player in his mid 30s who can't run can't track back, plays for Norwich and has low stamina (he admitted the latter himself)

If he was as good as people make out he would not be playing for Norwich.

Also Hendrick and Brady were supposed to be the next great things but yet they are superseded yet again by a fella in his mid 30s who did not even play!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Wes Hoolahan would have been about as useful as a chocolate tea pot in that match.

If he gets 60 or even 45 minutes Tuesday he could make a big impact for sure. Tonight? Would have been a waste.

Really? Unlike the rest of the team, Hoolahan wouldn't have been hoofing the ball away in a panic, I can guarantee you that.

That would have been progress enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Well if we fail to qualify, inevitably Wes will retire at his age. Who will be Dunphys new messiah then?

fryup wrote: »
    thought the black guy Sisto Christie was the best player on the pitch, even though he missed a sitter

;)

The management also think sitting back for 90 minutes and hoping for a break is a good tactic for every game. Let these players play!

St annes park would be the furthest they would end up playing if that was done.

Then there would be all this talk of moral victories etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't think the argument is that Wes is a footballing genius. He is a thirtysomething playing in The Championship.

But there's no denying that he brings something to the team when he's on the field, that, for whatever reason, no other player in the squad seems able to do. He always tries to do something creative with the ball and the other players respond and show for it, make runs etc, etc. Whatever about how good he may or not be, there's no denying that he has an influence on the team.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Really? Unlike the rest of the team, Hoolahan wouldn't have been hoofing the ball away in a panic, I can guarantee you that.

That would have been progress enough.

The plan was clearly to get a 0-0. We were never gonna risk men forward, so unless Wessi was gonna walk through them himself, his composure would have been wasted. Better saved for Tuesday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement