Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denmark vs Ireland, World Cup Play-Off 1st Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2 & Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

St annes park would be the furthest they would end up playing if that was done.

Then there would be all this talk of moral victories etc

I'm not talking gung ho, all out attacking football but this hoofball ****e is far below what those lads are capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The plan was clearly to get a 0-0. We were never gonna risk men forward, so unless Wessi was gonna walk through them himself, his composure would have been wasted. Better saved for Tuesday.

Its true Wes is better saved for Tues . but the problem remains that its highly unlikely he will start on Tues .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

That's Dunphy in a nutshell. I like him, most pundits would bore the pants off me.
    But not Eamonn. He's there to start a row and when nobody bothers arguing with him he will contradict himself a few minutes later.
    It's as though he thinks "well that didn't create any controversy so I'll try the opposite".

So he starts arguing with himself. It's punditry masturbation. :D

Even when he's wrong he's funny

Eamon Dunphy: "Look at Graeme, he won four Champions Leagues."
    Graeme Souness: " Three."
    Dunphy: " He won four league titles."
    Souness: "Five."
    Dunphy: "It's not bloody Mastermind!"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't think the argument is that Wes is a footballing genius. He is a thirtysomething playing in The Championship.

But there's no denying that he brings something to the team when he's on the field, that, for whatever reason, no other player in the squad seems able to do. He always tries to do something creative with the ball and the other players respond and show for it, make runs etc, etc. Whatever about how good he may or not be, there's no denying that he has an influence on the team.

He doesn't do anything incredible. He just has the patience and calmness of mind to put his foot on the ball. It only takes one player to do this and it can change the tempo of a game completely.

For a midfield of premier league players, tonight was shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

The plan was clearly to get a 0-0. We were never gonna risk men forward, so unless Wessi was gonna walk through them himself, his composure would have been wasted. Better saved for Tuesday.

But isn't that the point people keep missing with Wes? He doesn't walk through other teams or change the game single-handley.

Wes doesn't affect the opposition as much as he affects the Irish players around him and their own approach to the game. Wes encourages positive play and it's clear as day this is the case every time he plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Newsflash Wes Hoolahan is an average player in his mid 30s who can't run can't track back, plays for Norwich and has low stamina (he admitted the latter himself)

If he was as good as people make out he would not be playing for Norwich.

Also Hendrick and Brady were supposed to be the next great things but yet they are superseded yet again by a fella in his mid 30s who did not even play!

I can't figure why you quoted my post when I clearly pointed out that people aren't pining for him specifically, but that he's the only fella we have who can perform the role he does.

I mean I never said he was Pele, there's hardly a need for your ground-breaking "newsflash" that he's in his mid 30's either. We all know his age.

If you really think he's "average" then hey that's fine, your opinion.

The point remains that if we are to qualify we'll need to score a goal, unless 0-0 peno's bla bla bla.

So you look to the players available and the most creative midfielder we have by a distance is Wes.
    Nobody is making him out to be world class, none of our players are. But he's the single most creative midfielder we have.
    And that's why people talk about him.

If Wes and Long are on the field at the same time then I'd be much more confident about us scoring a goal than if either are not playing.

And we're talking about next Tuesday here. I understand why neither started tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I just don't know how people think that a team of Championship and lower Premier League players can go out there, away from home, and take the game to a side like Denmark who have more quality all across the pitch. It'd be suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i think we're all agreed it was a dreadful dreadful game of football played by two very average sides

if i was neutral i would have switched over and watched Strictly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I just don't know how people think that a team of Championship and lower Premier League players can go out there, away from home, and take the game to a side like Denmark who have more quality all across the pitch. It'd be suicide.

Well we could expect the Irish team to attempt to at least keep possession of the football. Nobody would have ever asked for gung ho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well if we fail to qualify, inevitably Wes will retire at his age. Who will be Dunphys new messiah then?

Basically any other fella who the manager does not pick, does not like heading, tracking back and can only last 70 minutes

I think I have the future candidate

Jack Byrne former Manchester City future superstar and great Irish hope

http://www.the42.ie/jack-byrne-oldham-athletic-wigan-3570485-Aug2017/

He is a bit young yet only 21

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Byrne_(footballer)

So it should give Dunphy 12-13 years asking why he is not in the squad, until he bows out of punditry for good.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

do they?? take Eriksen and Sisto out and they were vauxhall conference like...and we weren't much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

fryup wrote: »

if i was neutral i would have switched over and watched Strictly

Ah don't mind what other people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's a bit unfair to talk about Irish players at low Premier League clubs. The English players have also been struggling at upper PL level for some time.

Money has seen to it that young guys in this part of the world, who are not quite as skilled as continentals or South Americans (or are!!), barely get a look in to first team squads.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Really? Unlike the rest of the team, Hoolahan wouldn't have been hoofing the ball away in a panic, I can guarantee you that.

That would have been progress enough.

Would he have had the ball at his feet many times tonight? It was in the air most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If Wes and Long are on the field at the same time then I'd be much more confident about us scoring a goal than if either are not playing.

And we're talking about next Tuesday here. I understand why neither started tonight.

Long?

He could not hit a Dart if it was stopped at landsdowne road these days, never mind the back of the net.
    His confidence is completely shot and he is a confidence player.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Would he have had the ball at his feet many times tonight? It was in the air most of the time.

Show me a game that Wes has played where we hoofed the ball for the entire time he spent on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Show me a game that Wes has played where we hoofed the ball for the entire time he spent on the pitch.

I think the point is if you put wes in and it's hoofball the ball gets played over him.

e.g. pointless having him there if you're doing that

I'll assume you can't find a game? You know why? Cause we don't play hoof ball when Wes is on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think Eriksen showed tonight he is not a world star.

A very good player yes, but not as good as he is being hyped up to be.

Did little to nothing tonight.

NIMAN wrote: »
    He's like our Messi the way some folk talk about him.

Our best decision maker in the center
    Our best offensive passer of the ball
    our best passer of the ball.
    Best first touch
    The only thing we have close to a temp dictator.

The problem is not wes, it's usually the 10 around him are ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I'll assume you can't find a game? You know why? Cause we don't play hoof ball when Wes is on the pitch.

Wes played against Serbia at home, a game in which we also played some decent stuff.

What was the score of that one again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

fryup wrote: »
    do they?? take Eriksen and Sisto out and they were vauxhall conference like...and we weren't much better

Yeah, the premiership winning keeper, the seville Star, champions league regulars, bundesliga stalwarts.

Pure shoite .....

Better team on paper. Favourites to best us. We drew away to them. Get a grip people!

That's why MON tends not to play him when he wants to play hoofball.

Is this really up for discussion ?

limnam wrote: »
    Our best decision maker in the center
    Our best offensive passer of the ball
    our best passer of the ball.
    Best first touch
    The only thing we have close to a temp dictator.

The problem is not wes, it's usually the 10 around him are ****e.

The answer is not Wes either.

He's a good player. I like when he plays. He's not the best in the team though, and he often fades out of big games.

His abilities have reached mythical proportions on here to the extent I'm starting to wonder if we have a heap of Dunphy re-reg accounts.

Well if we fail to qualify, inevitably Wes will retire at his age. Who will be Dunphys new messiah then?

The reason he bangs on about him is because he's the only player Ireland have who can collect the ball and get his head up and play a creative intricate pass and do it consistently.
    Giles talks about him in similar fashion, Brady too.
    There's a reason why former footballers like to see a creative player in a team.
    You need one.

So yeah your question is a good one. But rather than being sarky about it I'd be worried.
    If the answer is nobody and the end result is years of hoof ball then the jokes on us eh?

I think Eriksen showed tonight he is not a world star.

A very good player yes, but not as good as he is being hyped up to be.

No, I think it shows the Denmark system of lobbing long balls and not utilizing their only world class player, as absolute shocking tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Wes played against Serbia at home, a game in which we also played some decent stuff.

What was the score of that one again?

I think this is where most fans struggle. He most definitely adds to the attractiveness of our style, but people don't realise the effort level required to keep clean sheets in games like tonight. What he gives us does not make up for what he takes away in terms of work rate in centre midfield. It's something thats beyond the comprehension of basics.

His abilities have reached mythical proportions on here to the extent I'm starting to wonder if we have a heap of Dunphy re-reg accounts.

Because he's the only player of that type we have.

I think we need to decide if we want results or entertainment?

That was utter muck tonight, but if Tue is the same but we get to Russia, will anyone care?

MON is all about results. His football is prehistoric but it can often get the results needed. He doesn't do entertainment.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I think this is where most fans struggle. He most definitely adds to the attractiveness of our style, but people don't realise the effort level required to keep clean sheets in games like tonight. What he gives us does not make up for what he takes away in terms of work rate in centre midfield. It's something thats beyond the comprehension of basics.

So this one game (serbia) is why any positives that Wes brings should be negated?

• Advertisement

Long?

He could not hit a Dart if it was stopped at landsdowne road these days, never mind the back of the net.
    His confidence is completely shot and he is a confidence player.

Yeah he's going through a bad spell but again I'd say he has to start on Tuesday.
    It's a given.

Jesus, sometimes you'd swear Martin O Neill had a tonne of options.

But maybe playing that kind of player tonight would have meant a worse result.

Who would you have dropped for him?

Exactly.

It's scary how people can't feckin grasp that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

I can't figure why you quoted my post when I clearly pointed out that people aren't pining for him specifically, but that he's the only fella we have who can perform the role he does.

I mean I never said he was Pele, there's hardly a need for your ground-breaking "newsflash" that he's in his mid 30's either. We all know his age.

If you really think he's "average" then hey that's fine, your opinion.

The point remains that if we are to qualify we'll need to score a goal, unless 0-0 peno's bla bla bla.

So you look to the players available and the most creative midfielder we have by a distance is Wes.
    Nobody is making him out to be world class, none of our players are. But he's the single most creative midfielder we have.
    And that's why people talk about him.

How is he?

I think we need to decide if we want results or entertainment?

That was utter muck tonight, but if Tue is the same but we get to Russia, will anyone care?

MON is all about results. His football is prehistoric but it can often get the results needed. He doesn't do entertainment.

True, but he needs to be able to see when a game is there for the taking. It was tonight. It was against Georgia and Austria but he chose the safety first option.
    It will bite us in the ass eventualy.

But maybe playing that kind of player tonight would have meant a worse result.

Who would you have dropped for him?

Tuesday. Not tonight. The aim tonight was 0-0 it seems so fully understandable.

Even Tuesday I'd say last 30 mins most likely.

My big fear for Tue is a Danish goal.

We wouldn't get 2.

I don't think a 0-0 away from home in a tie where away goals count is a great result as many think it is.

micks wrote: »
    How is he?

You don't think he is?
    Name a CM available to Ireland who is more creative than Wes then?

I think O'Dowda will be dropped for Wes on Tuesday.

Meyler is back from suspension, but seriously to expect Meyler, Hendrick and Arter in the same team...at home...needing a win?

I don't think Meyler is getting back in. Whether O'Dowda keeps his place, I don't know, but who ever plays will have to have some offensive leaning.

• Advertisement

So this one game (serbia) is why any positives that Wes brings should be negated?

A 35 year old at a very poor championship side is not going to offer nearly enough, he doesn't have anywhere close to the engine required to justify
    selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

You don't think he is?
    Name a CM available to Ireland who is more creative than Wes then?

we can spend forever asking Questions

Explain how he is the most creative player?

forget what Dunphy thinks

Show me the stats that prove over the last 10 years that Wes is Ireland's most creative player?

Simple

A 35 year old at a very poor championship side is not going to offer nearly enough, he doesn't have anywhere close to the engine required to justify
    selection.

I'd never start Wes. Fitness would be an issue for a start. We must be the only country that hopes for the talent of a 35 year old to swing things our way. Does anyone think O'Neill and Keane will send the players out to express themselves and play as they can? No chance. Defend, defend, defend and hope to **** we stick away a chance from a set piece.

Show me the stats that prove over the last 10 years that Wes is Ireland's most creative player?

Simple

Are there any stats for Wes?
    How many goals, assists has he?

Shane Duffy continues to have a season of distinction. I was met with criticism when I said he's destined for a career at top level but with every standout performance I see form him I become more certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Shane Duffy continues to have a season of distinction. I was met with criticism when I said he's destined for a career at top level but with every standout performance I see form him I become more certain.

Well if you are still maintaining he will get a move United or Liverpool then I say you will rightly still be criticised!

Let. Him try and get a half season in the EPL done first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Are there any stats for Wes?
    How many goals, assists has he?

Goal against Sweden.

Assist against Italy.

Assist against Austria.

Assist against Moldova.

Thats a pretty impressive and tangible contribution over a dozen games tbh. He wouldn't even have played that often in the period.

noodler wrote: »
    Goal against Sweden.

Assist against Italy.

Assist against Austria.

Assist against Moldova.

Thats a pretty impressive and tangible contribution over a dozen games tbh. He wouldn't even have played that often in the period.

But we lost to Serbia, so enough of these facts you're spewing.

noodler wrote: »
    Well if you are still maintaining he will get a move United or Liverpool then I say you will rightly still be criticised!

Let. Him try and get a half season in the EPL done first.

I said Arsenal or Liverpool. He was standout last season too. For me his ability is so obvious it's just a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Does anyone think O'Neill and Keane will send the players out to express themselves and play as they can? No chance. Defend, defend, defend and hope to **** we stick away a chance from a set piece.

This is the problem. The players are told to play hoofball and hope for the set piece. One of the best examples of this that I can remember was, Randolph had the ball and slowing down the play. One danish player ran up to him to force him to hurry it up, there were 4 Irish defenders spread across the back line and all other danish players near or within their half. Instead of taking the time to play a simple ball to an Irish defender, Randolph booted it up the pitch and we lost it. Similar things happened multiple times from different players, which indicates a decision from higher up.

Simple

Dunno what you're sniffing but you've just suggested I go and start researching statistics over ten years to humour you?

Are you well?

Yeah sure you go do the research and show me that he's NOT a creative mid.

How about that?

Jesus, you get some funny stuff on here but that takes the biscuit.

Look, it's easy enough to figure out if you're honest about it, we are more creative when he is on the field than when he's not.

If you disagree then fine, life continues etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement