Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denmark vs Ireland, World Cup Play-Off 1st Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2 & Sky Sports

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Only if he creates it for himself. Tactically, O'Neill will approach this exactly the same way as Copenhagen.

We need to score though. Surely O'Neill needs to try and seize the initiative.

If we concede I cant see us going to Russia.

Wes must start.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

alta stare wrote: »
    To be fair to Arter i thought he played well last night so it will be a tough decision who to leave out.

Not really O Dowdas going to be dropped and Wes is in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

We need to score though.

As do Denmark. Which is exactly how MON will see it. Not a hope of Wes getting the nod. He will be the nuclear option if we go behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

I think Meyler in for O'Dowda. Playing behind arter and hendrick in midfield. McClean left wing and Brady right wing. Long up front.

Id be pretty happy with that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

At least we can get in Erikson's face on Tue as yellow cards in this game won't make a lot of difference. The players can swap around regarding who hits him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Can't wait for Tuesday night now. I'll be a nervous wreck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Unearthly wrote: »
    Can't wait for Tuesday night now. I'll be a nervous wreck.

I thought I would be nervous on Saturday but as the game went on I knew Duffy would deal with every long ball and we would do enough. I don't know did the constant hoofball also kill my spirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

niallo27 wrote: »
    I thought I would be nervous on Saturday but as the game went on I knew Duffy would deal with every long ball and we would do enough. I don't know did the constant hoofball also kill my spirt.

Yeah it won't be a good game of football but what's up for grabs makes it a nervous tense match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Surprised to read so much negative comments on here after last night, a 0-0 draw away in Denmark is a good result and as others have said we would definitely have taken a one off game in Dublin to qualify for the world cup. The match was terrible but we executed the plan and got a result, in MONs eyes we are 50% of the job done, now to do the other half on Tuesday.

Hard to call how we will set up, if we set up as defensively as we did last night or against Wales then I don't think we will score, I think we will have to go for it a little bit more although I'm not expecting to dominate possession or anything like that. O'Dowda probably didn't do enough for me to start again but he could be an option off the bench, Hendrick and Brady have been poor lately for us and I would like to see one of them dropped but it would be a big call. Most likely thing to happen I would say is Meyler & Long in for O'Dowda & Murphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the denmark coach got narky when a reporter suggested it was a bad game...his reaction was bizzare to such a valid question, maybe he's feeling the pressure??

2.45 in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

O'Dowda started in Copenhagen. Predicting the starting 11 is futile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

fryup wrote: »
    the denmark coach got narky when a reporter suggested it was a bad game...his reaction was bizzare to such a valid question, maybe he's feeling the pressure??

2.45 in...

Thought the reporter was being a bit of a bellend tbh.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    O'Dowda started in Copenhagen. Predicting the starting 11 is futile.

Not really.

Meyler was out so a decision had to be made.

I'd say Murphy and O'Dowda are the only likely changes as others have suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

I'd say Meyler is a dead cert after his last few performances.

Away goals are the major issue now. Its not a typical one off game in that regard.

• Advertisement

Away goals are the major issue now. Its not a typical one off game in that regard.

And you think in a game where conceding a goal hurts us even more then normal Martin will go more attacking?

And you think in a game where conceding a goal hurts us even more then normal Martin will go more attacking?

I think he should. I think we could score a couple against these lads if we go at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

One thing I can never understand is how away goals still count double in extra time. I suppose one way would be a golden goal to end it or just go to penalties if level again at 1-1.

One thing I can never understand is how away goals still count double in extra time. I suppose one way would be a golden goal to end it or just go to penalties if level again at 1-1.

From what I remember matches that go to penos majorly favour the home team so you need something to keep it balanced I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The logic you could say is - it is unfair that the away team are playing extra time away. So for that reason the double continue.

I can see other arguments.

• Advertisement

The logic you could say is - it is unfair that the away team are playing extra time away. So for that reason the double continue.

I can see other arguments.

Well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Since (and including) the 1998 World Cup, and the beginning of the modern European playoffs as we know it, there have only been 3 games that were determined by the away goals rule.

There hasnt been a match settled by away goals rule since 2010 qualification.

Of the 3 games that were decided by away goals since 1998, Ireland (beaten by Turkey) was one of them. In this instance, Ireland were away in the 2nd leg. Incidentally, none of the 3 games decided by away goals were 0-0 in the 1st leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think we can win but if we concede one I don't think we'll score two goals.

Given our style of play I think we have left ourselves more vulnerable than most to the away goal rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I think it would depend on when we would concede. If Denmark were to score first, then I would find it hard to see us scoring two - one right after another. As we're not set up to chase games, the psychological mountain of needing two straight goals (obviously without conceding as well) would probably be too much to ask.

However, if we scored first and they equalised I'd still be hopeful knowing we'd be just one kick of a ball away from Russia. I'd be confident in that scenario (i.e. locked at 1-1 going into the last 10mins for example) that we'd get at least one or two good chances to grab a winner, we'd just have to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Cake Man wrote: »
    I think it would depend on when we would concede. If Denmark were to score first, then I would find it hard to see us scoring two - one right after another. As we're not set up to chase games, the psychological mountain of needing two straight goals (obviously without conceding as well) would probably be too much to ask.

However, if we scored first and they equalised I'd still be hopeful knowing we'd be just one kick of a ball away from Russia. I'd be confident in that scenario (i.e. locked at 1-1 going into the last 10mins for example) that we'd get at least one or two good chances to grab a winner, we'd just have to take it.

Our style makes us almost uniquely vulnerable though. You know if we go 1 - 0 up we will sit back and invite the pressure.

It's an ok tactic, mostly work's for O'Neill's teams. However it's a dice roll. I'd say 8 times out of 10 it works. But then there is that one game it really backfires.

Ireland could be trashed in any match playing that way. Is this the game the luck runs out?

Hope not!

I think we can do it, I just feel we have put ourselves in an awkward situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

0-0 penalties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I just wouldn't fancy us at all in a penalty shoot-out, think our best hope would be to pinch it 1-0/2-1 either in normal time or extra time. I wonder are the lads spending time in training practising penalties though, just in case?

For a bit of fun, let's say it did go all the way, who would you pick to take 5 penos? Suppose it would depend on who's on the pitch at that stage but maybe Brady, McClean, Hendrick, Meyler, Wes (not necessarily in that order).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 650 ✭✭✭PVA

1-0, 73rd minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

2.45 in...

noodler wrote: »
    Thought the reporter was being a bit of a bellend tbh.

how so? it was a civil question i thought, it was a very poor game after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

how so? it was a civil question i thought, it was a very poor game after all

His tone was antagonistic.

Far from civil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We see things differently.

Tonight probably reminded you of the glory days of Trap.

Saturday night reminded me of four of the last five qualifying campaigns where we have been live for qualification going into the second leg of the playoff. A long period of sustained competitiveness despite oceans of whinging about tactics, selection and approach.
    dfx- wrote: »
    You can't qualify by drawing 0-0 twice. You have to score a goal at some point, even by penalty shootout. Not scoring is not getting the job done.

Ireland essentially voluntarily conceded the advantage of the away goal to Denmark tonight.

Our odds of qualifying as reflected in betting exchanges are improved following Saturday's result. While our defensiveness mitigated against us scoring, it also successfully nullified their superior technical players for the vast majority of the game.

Ahead of the Wales match we would all have been delighted to be in this position. We need to nick a goal, it is highly possible.

I don't get what all the cafuffle is about. Stop thinking of this as a 2 legged game. The 0-0 has done away with that.

At the start of the campaign if Ireland were offered a one off home game against Denmark in which they HAD to win to qualify for the world cup you'd have taken the hand off the chap offering it.

This is completely the correct attitude.

• LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Saturday night reminded me of four of the last qualifying campaigns where we have been live for qualification going into the second leg of the playoff. A long period of sustained competitiveness despite oceans of whinging about tactics, selection and approach.

Our odds of qualifying as reflected in betting exchanges are improved following Saturday's result. While our defensiveness mitigated against us scoring, it also successfully nullified their superior technical players for the vast majority of the game.

Ahead of the Wales match we would all have been delighted to be in this position. We need to nick a goal, it is highly possible.

It was pure pot luck tbh and only for some wonder saves pulled off by Randolph we would have lost.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It was pure pot luck tbh and only for some wonder saves pulled off by Randolph we would have lost.

Nah

They had two good chances in 90 mins of football where they were the heavily favoured (Ireland were 6 / 1 to win) and significantly superior team from a technical perspective; at home. They were always likely to get chances, being limited to a couple at most is what you're aiming for. Moreover, our record is beginning to tot up over a long string of games. We are good defensively, there's nothing lucky about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

They had very few clear opportunities all game and wonder saves is way ott.

If you think our consistently excellent defensive record is "pure pot luck" you very much lack the analytical ability to have a respected opinion on this matter.

Nah

They had two good chances in 90 mins of football where they were the heavily favoured (Ireland were 6 / 1 to win) and significantly superior team from a technical perspective; at home. They were always likely to get chances, being limited to a couple at most is what you're aiming for. Moreover, our record is beginning to tot up over a long string of games. We are good defensively, there's nothing lucky about it.
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    They had very few clear opportunities all game and wonder saves is way ott.

If you think our consistently excellent defensive record is "pure pot luck" you very much lack the analytical ability to have a respected opinion on this matter.

The approach was wrong again. Not stringing a few passes together is not the way to play football. Regardless of setting up defensively.
    Giving them the ball back over and over via clear directive is not good enough. No matter what team you have and what the technical ability of the team is.

Randolph pulled off a double save which arguably could be considered one of the finest saves throughout the group stages and the play-offs combined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Two cavemen throwing rocks at one another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The approach was wrong again. Not stringing a few passes together is not the way to play football. Regardless of setting up defensively.
    Giving them the ball back over and over via clear directive is not good enough. No matter what team you have and what the technical ability of the team is.

Randolph pulled off a double save which arguably could be considered one of the finest saves throughout the group stages and the play-offs combined.

Really? Good to get up for the second effort but all the other saves were ones he would expect to make

• Advertisement

• naughtb4 wrote: »
    Really? Good to get up for the second effort but all the other saves were ones he would expect to make

Yes really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

As Duffy said afterwards, he did his job. They weren’t in any way special saves. The second was arguably the closest to special, and that was directly related to a save he might have dealt with better.

Back on point though, they carved us open twice, both of which came from rebounds. The other was a set piece.

The cross field ball when o dowda switched off was the only time they opened us up.

So no, not pot luck. Far from it. A great defensive display.

• As Duffy said afterwards, he did his job. They weren’t in any way special saves. The second was arguably the closest to special, and that was directly related to a save he might have dealt with better.

Back on point though, they carved us open twice, both of which came from rebounds. The other was a set piece.

The cross field ball when o dowda switched off was the only time they opened us up.

So no, not pot luck. Far from it. A great defensive display.

A backs to the wall display.

A backs to the wall display.

As a united fan you of all people should appreciate that.

• As a united fan you of all people should appreciate that.

What do a premiership team have to do how the Republic Ireland setup and play?

Oh Christ. Again with this. It’s the same bloody sport. A team not wanting to give anything away to a team on their home ground should be very familiar to you as a Mourinho fan.

• Advertisement

Well it might be considered hypocritical to laud Jose Mourinho for doing something yet criticize Martin O'Neill for doing the 'best possible' version of the same thing - best possible when relative technical ability of either squad and the pressure / stakes at hand are accounted for.

Now I don't know whether you've been lauding Mourinho's negative approach in big games or not, but some Utd fans have been. And I'd suggest that there are many ardent club fans generally who fail to logically tally their expectations on a club weekend with an International weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Llyod on fire ITT

Well it might be considered hypocritical to laud Jose Mourinho for doing something yet criticize Martin O'Neill for doing the 'best possible' version of the same thing - best possible when relative technical ability of either squad and the pressure / stakes at hand are accounted for.

Now I don't know whether you've been lauding Mourinho's negative approach in big games or not, but some Utd fans have been. And I'd suggest that there are many ardent club fans generally who fail to logically tally their expectations on a club weekend with an International weekend.

If someone feels the need to bring Man Utd into a near every conversation about the Republic of Ireland thread then I think they are loosing it a bit.

In particular when that team are second in the league and have the second highest goal difference in said league they must be doing something more than backs to the wall every game to achieve said points and goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If someone feels the need to bring Man Utd into a near every conversation about the Republic of Ireland thread then I think they are loosing it a bit.

In particular when that team are second in the league and have the second highest goal difference in said league they must be doing something more than backs to the wall every game to achieve said points and goals.

You could make the same argument about the fact Ireland have made it this far though...

But when someone can’t see the irony of lauding one manager and hammering the other for using the same tactics, even when the former has a far greater skill set at his disposal, then that someone has lost it completely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement