Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denmark vs Ireland, World Cup Play-Off 1st Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2 & Sky Sports

1131415161719»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Arghus wrote: »
    So I can't criticise O'Neill's style of football because a totally different team, under a different manager, played defensively in another match this year?

That makes sense.

When I was trying to get my point across to Mick I used that game as an analogy. It had nothing to do with you.

But you and he can’t see the irony of it being ok for his fav club team to use the same tactics he derides MON using in a similiar match.(away to a team who are more of a threat going forward than you)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

When I was trying to get my point across to Mick I used that game as an analogy. It had nothing to do with you.

But you and he can’t see the irony of it being ok for his fav club team to use the same tactics he derides MON using in a similiar match.(away to a team who are more of a threat going forward than you)

But I don't care about Mick's attitude to Mourinho's side. I'm talking about Ireland and how bad Ireland are with the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The fxxk was the swedish keeper at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Why not just unfollow? Why post and tell us?

Probably because of sh*t like this.
    TheCitizen wrote: »
    That’s exactly what Man U did v Liverpool. Did you watch the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Where's best place close to ground for a few pints and good atmosphere tomorrow lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It was pure pot luck tbh and only for some wonder saves pulled off by Randolph we would have lost.
    Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

fullstop wrote: »
    Nope.

What. You have to give the man credit where it is due.

What are you saying you would do better if you were in goal?

Or do you just stay in your bed dreaming about saving goals.

What. You have to give the man credit where it is due.

What are you saying you would do better if you were in goal?

Or do you just stay in your bed dreaming about saving goals.

Wonder saves?!! Were we watching the same game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

fullstop wrote: »
    Wonder saves?!! Were we watching the same game?

I was watching it, yes and only for him we would be 2 nil down.

He made zero wonder saves. Couple of good saves yes, but ones you'd expect him to make.

• Advertisement

Randolph made some crucial saves and without him we would have been in trouble, but he also coughed up that rebound in the first half that Sisto somehow managed not to score from, so we had a bit of luck too.

• fullstop wrote: »
    He made zero wonder saves. Couple of good saves yes, but ones you'd expect him to make.

You expect a keeper to make a double save like that regularly?

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I have accepted that there is two sides to the argument. This argument has been had after almost every single Ireland match for the last 7 years and there is no changing the mind of either side. All I can say is that if we are going to the world cup this time tomorrow I hope some of the football purists take a night off and enjoy the victory because if you can't do that then I would consider sticking to watching club football.

If we don't win MON will get stick and you could argue he deserves it, 1 year ago we were in a great position to qualify for the world cup and had several opportunities before tomorrow - home to Wales, Austria & Serbia mainly. However, that was only because he got us off to a good start in the group in the first place. When the group was drawn I would say if you offered us a must win playoff vs Denmark in the Aviva to qualify we would have taken it. Live by the sword and die by the sword for Martin O'Neil. I think he knows what he is doing and I am confident this time tomorrow we will be pricing flights to Russia.

• Where's best place close to ground for a few pints and good atmosphere tomorrow lads?

Slatterys is good if you get there early.
    Expect it to be wedged before kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

So Sweden go through...will this inspire their Scandinavian neighbours???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Arghus wrote: »
    I think Mick is being fair enough in his criticisms of O' Neill's style of play. The fact that he supports United has got nothing to do with it - that's just petty whataboutery.

If we qualify I will be utterly delighted, but we play utterly atrocious soul sapping football, let's not pretend otherwise.

Agreed. AND it does work in our favour regularly even if we don't like it.

• NIMAN wrote: »
    Well someone did. I didn't say any one person did.

Johnpatrick81 did.
    Just to tidy that up for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Where's best place close to ground for a few pints and good atmosphere tomorrow lads?

Slatterys is good but can get extremely busy and hard to grab a pint unless you are there a few hours before kick off. I like Searsons on Baggot Street for a few before the game, busy but can still grab a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

With the shocking lack of goals in all these play-offs, can't see tomorrow nights game changing that trend much.

I have accepted that there is two sides to the argument. This argument has been had after almost every single Ireland match for the last 7 years and there is no changing the mind of either side. All I can say is that if we are going to the world cup this time tomorrow I hope some of the football purists take a night off and enjoy the victory because if you can't do that then I would consider sticking to watching club football.

If we don't win MON will get stick and you could argue he deserves it, 1 year ago we were in a great position to qualify for the world cup and had several opportunities before tomorrow - home to Wales, Austria & Serbia mainly. However, that was only because he got us off to a good start in the group in the first place. When the group was drawn I would say if you offered us a must win playoff vs Denmark in the Aviva to qualify we would have taken it. Live by the sword and die by the sword for Martin O'Neil. I think he knows what he is doing and I am confident this time tomorrow we will be pricing flights to Russia.

Fair points. I disagree with O'Neill's style, but if we qualify tomorrow night I will be delighted about it. At this stage a 93rd deflected handball winner will do.

But, I have an issue with people making that "if you had offered us a home game to win to get to the world cup, we'd have taken it" argument. Sure we would have - at the start of the group.

But if that's what we were offered after Austria away, I think a lot of people would have thought, "thanks, but, no thanks; we can win this group." We were in a great position to that group and, in the end, we just about salvaged a playoff place

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    With the shocking lack of goals in all these play-offs, can't see tomorrow nights game changing that trend much.
    I expect a looonnnngggg night.
    I wonder if we could have a "high kick" competition instead of penalties as both teams seem to be good at that.

I wonder if we could have a "high kick" competition instead of penalties as both teams seem to be good at that.

We'd win that easy.
    In fact, we could be world champions.

The away game at times looked like a competition between the Irish team to see who could kick the ball the furthest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,278 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Cant stand MON's style of football, its archaic. But i'll be delighted if we win by any means tomorrow. Hes a dinosaur in terms of style but its effective to a point.

If Ireland are defending a siege I expect the game will feel subjectivily about four days in length.

If Ireland are laying siege it'll feel like the whole thing only took ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Cant stand MON's style of football, its archaic. But i'll be delighted if we win by any means tomorrow. Hes a dinosaur in terms of style but its effective to a point.
    Would you decribe Jose Mourinho as a dinosaur in terms of style?

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Would you decribe Jose Mourinho as a dinosaur in terms of style?

I often do.

It worked for him for a long time, but he is now shown up for what he is by managers like Pep who base their game on attacking.

Jose is negative first, stop the other team from scoring....and if we score that'll do.

MON is exactly the same, but maybe Jose deserves more abuse as he is doing it with better players.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I often do.

It worked for him for a long time, but he is now shown up for what he is by managers like Pep who base their game on attacking.

Jose is negative first, stop the other team from scoring....and if we score that'll do.

MON is exactly the same, but maybe Jose deserves more abuse as he is doing it with better players.

Fair points if that is your view. However there's Man United (Irish) fans on here that will disagree with you.

I find that hypocritical, as I find the comments of Damian Duff and Liam Brady on MON's style hypocritical as they try to tell you that black is white by saying Trap was less negative as Ireland coach when the opposite is the case.

I prefer Pep's style of football myself but you know when his team's struggle at times as sometimes they do if going through transitional periods, there's no shortage of characters around here and elsewhere that will tell you he's been found out etc. etc. etc...

It's hard to argue with results at the end of the day and that's why Jack Charlton's time as Ireland manager is recalled with general approval but at the time there was no shortage of criticism about the style either from the likes of Dunphy et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Remember all those games utd won 3/4-0 this season?

You do?

Well, forget them and just remember the one where the drew at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

SHUT THE FCUK UP ABOUT UNITED AND LIVERPOOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Omackeral wrote: »
    SHUT THE FCUK UP ABOUT UNITED AND LIVERPOOL.

Damn you. You caused this shite to infect the second leg thread :'(

Match thread. Only discuss tonight's match please as we're all fed up of the other stuff.
    It looks like the rain will stop for the game and hopefully it will. I really think the Danes will attack from the off and try and pin us back. They will know that they have to score and if they do then we need two.
    We have to find a way of disrupting their plan and forcing them to defend. I hope MON has a plan for that and doesn't sit back.

Match thread. Only discuss tonight's match please as we're all fed up of the other stuff.
    It looks like the rain will stop for the game and hopefully it will. I really think the Danes will attack from the off and try and pin us back. They will know that they have to score and if they do then we need two.
    We have to find a way of disrupting their plan and forcing them to defend. I hope MON has a plan for that and doesn't sit back.

I'm hoping we'll win or grab an away goal but I'm putting my house on it that this game (1st leg) will end 0-0:pac:

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Good luck tonight lads, hoping you go out and have a real go at them from the off. Hope ONeill doesn’t play for the 1-0.

awec wrote: »
    Good luck tonight lads, hoping you go out and have a real go at them from the off. Hope ONeill doesn’t play for the 1-0.

2 - 0 for me. I think we'll throw off the shackles and attack.
    Attack being the best means of defence.
    The crowd will get behind them and drive them on.
    C'mon Ireland.

• 2 - 0 for me. I think we'll throw off the shackles and attack.
    Attack being the best means of defence.
    The crowd will get behind them and drive them on.
    C'mon Ireland.

Your pms are full, delete some lad ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Open to correction on this but,

Do away goals rule only apply to 90mins and not in extra time if played

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Open to correction on this but,

Do away goals rule only apply to 90mins and not in extra time if played

No count for 120 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

His name is Christian Poulsen.
    His name is Christian Poulsen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just not good enough defensively.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Not sure if it was mentioned - 85 qualifier, November 13 - Ireland went 1-0 up after six minutes, end up losing 4-1. History repeating itself by the looks of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Poor James - at least he cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Some people on here seem to think by being more positive and holding onto the ball equates to getting worse results.

Guess what, maybe just maybe they'd have been BETTER.

Wales home Draw>Win, Serbia away Draw>Win, Georgia Away Draw>Win.

Then you're not having to even play a play off.

You don't have to be a shambles at the back if you want to have an attacking threat. In fact by controlling a ball you're more likely to avoid having to defend.

Putting 11 men behind the ball and kicking it straight back leads to either:
    A. Draw
    B. Loss

Having a go at a team can lead to
    A. Winning
    B. Draw
    C. Losing

The fact that we're seldom doing option A playing the first way would lead me to believe it's not a good tactic.. you'll only rob a team like Wales/Germany once in a blue moon like that.

This is silly you could twist every single thing you said to go on the exact oppoosite side of the argument.

For example Ireland were a man up in wales and lost 2 goals against Serbia from the a great position.
    Also teams that are not as good technically play above themselves when they are more defensive and have a better chance of getting a win or a draw as they are less open.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    That is because the other players the league two players they are facing are not as good either so they are afford more space, they can make more mistakes and get away with it.
    It is the same argument Brady?Dunphy made about Arter. He plays better in the premier league...

Hamann's reply was 'He has better players around him' this was met with a few seconds of silence.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement