Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas party refusing part timers

Options
  • 11-11-2017 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Ok so my question is can a place of work refuse part timers attendance to a staff christmas party?

I'm allowed to attend i was wondering about the moral/legal implications if any?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Perfectly fine for the employer to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Ok so my question is can a place of work refuse part timers attendance to a staff christmas party?

I'm allowed to attend i was wondering about the moral/legal implications if any?

There’s no obligation to attend and no entitlement to be invited.
    Could only have legal implications if the invitations were contrary to the Equal Status Act.
    If the party is only for full time employees then this doesn’t contravene the Act.
    If it were only for female employees or Irish employees, it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

splinter65 wrote: »
    There’s no obligation to attend and no entitlement to be invited.
    Could only have legal implications if the invitations were contrary to the Equal Status Act.
    If the party is only for full time employees then this doesn’t contravene the Act.
    If it were only for female employees or Irish employees, it would.

You're generally correct, but there is one possible scenario to be careful about here.

If the exclusion of part-time staff happened to impact all/most female staff and few/none male staff, then it could be seen as indirect discrimination, contrary to Equal Status Acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Its a shi*ty thing to do. But not illegal. Organise a part timers party, it will probably be better craic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If the exclusion of part-time staff happened to impact all/most female staff and few/none male staff, then it could be seen as indirect discrimination, contrary to Equal Status Acts.

I'm all for equality but I hope if it happened to impact all /most male staff & few /none female staff then it would still be discrimination.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm all for equality but I hope if it happened to impact all /most male staff & few /none female staff then it would still be discrimination.

Men don’t matter . Obviously the party would be much better if there were no men there.
    You seriously need to get with the program.
    1. People of color can not be racist.
    2. Only women are victims of discrimination.
    Basically all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Became an issue for us when people moved from salary to contractors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Lousy employers imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yep, for sure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

amtc wrote: »
    Became an issue for us when people moved from salary to contractors.

One company I'm a contractor for doesn't invite contractors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Part time employees of the organisation should be treated the same as full time employees (EU equal status directive). If you mean contractors, then they are not employees so the company is within its rights not to invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Perfectly fine.

But massively miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Stheno wrote: »

yeah but you're not an employee

but again massively miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

An oldie but a goodie :)
    274d1bf06d6401301d80001dd8b71c47

splinter65 wrote: »

Men don’t matter . Obviously the party would be much better if there were no men there.
    You seriously need to get with the program.
    1. People of color can not be racist.
    2. Only women are victims of discrimination.
    Basically all you need to know.
    That's rubbish, actually. The law applies to everyone. What you are picking on is the groups that are most often discriminated against.

Diziet wrote: »
    That's rubbish, actually. The law applies to everyone. What you are picking on is the groups that are most often discriminated against.

Your sarcasm radar needs a tune up I think.

I don't think it does. Sarcastic or not, it comes across as rather unpleasant.

Diziet wrote: »
    I don't think it does. Sarcastic or not, it comes across as rather unpleasant.

What do you find unpleasant about my post, giving notice to the context in which it was posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Would have thought it's perfectly legal, if a little sh!tty. I worked in a multi-national company back in the mid-1990's, first real job out of college. As a contractor (I mean someone on short term contracts, not coining it on an hourly rate), I was excluded fro mall company organised staff events. Bit crap at the time, but hey. That's corporate for ya.

Could be worse anyway. I worked for a company that had their Christmas do in January. And you had to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'm pretty sure by law part time staff are entitled to everything in proportion so if you do 3 days a week you still get 3/5 of a bank holiday etc. So maybe a if they're going to be that tight they can dish out a percentage of the dinner to part timers based on average hours over the past 13 weeks. To be honest not being invited makes it easier to refuse we always just organise a staff party for staff by staff always way more fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, mine does the same with contractors. Treat them completely different, not allowed come to work parties organised by the company, different coloured swipe cards to mark them out, and not allowed park in the car park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Personally, I'd love to be excluded from all staff events but hey, each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Well the Company I worked for who didn't invite contractors changed their mind when said contractors offered to pay the drinks bill. To this day I remember that party. One of the contractors left his wife waiting for him in the airport. Another fell asleep on a park bench in Merrion and was picked up for bring homeless. At the after party the dog got drunk on jagermaister. It was a public service body and let's put it this way we were asked never to return.

The same organisation had a policy where every year on your birthday you had go for dinner with the head.

When the head changed strangely enough these were dropped!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I can understand that tho
    They are self employed and act as consultants providing services to an end client maybe via a limited company and are not employees of the end client

Now it be nice to be invited as a contractor but the part timer thing is just weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

amtc wrote: »
    Well the Company I worked for who didn't invite contractors changed their mind when said contractors offered to pay the drinks bill. To this day I remember that party. One of the contractors left his wife waiting for him in the airport. Another fell asleep on a park bench in Merrion and was picked up for bring homeless. At the after party the dog got drunk on jagermaister. It was a public service body and let's put it this way we were asked never to return.

The same organisation had a policy where every year on your birthday you had go for dinner with the head.

When the head changed strangely enough these were dropped!

Hahaha claiming the expenses that's way, gas ! :)

Oh how people (end client /employer) will change to suit themselves

End client : We ain't paying for you so your not invited because you a contractor and not an employee
    Contractor : I'll buy your drink
    End client : ah Jesus why didn't ya say so ?! 7pm it is !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've only gone to a Christmas party once in 25 years of working.
    I went, had the meal, won a prize and went home to leave the rest of them under the table where they had been since early afternoon , bottle of vodka in hand( them, not me...I had a Kenwood processor)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'm presuming the company pay for it?In our place, anyone on the staff is welcome, but we pay for everything ourselves, so those on very few hours may choose to save their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

What're the odds OP is a part-timer?...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What're the odds OP is a part-timer?...

about 99.9% :pac:
    I would hazard a guess and say they also work in retail.

• Advertisement

ballyargus wrote: »
    Personally, I'd love to be excluded from all staff events but hey, each to their own

Add to that all family events and I’m with you....

Advertisement