Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliding door has pebble underneath. Can I ignore this?

Options
  • 11-11-2017 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

My front door is a sliding door made of UPVC and glass. Some weeks ago, it seems that a small pebble got under the door.

I believe this because (1) when I slide the door, I hear a grinding sound which is very much like the sound of a pebble against metal; and (2) I sometimes feel a little resistance when sliding the door.

My questions:

(i) Is it safe for me to ignore this? In other words, will the door be damaged by being slid repeatedly over this pebble.

(ii) If it's not safe, roughly how much would it cost to get the problem fixed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

My front door is a sliding door made of UPVC and glass. Some weeks ago, it seems that a small pebble got under the door.

I believe this because (1) when I slide the door, I hear a grinding sound which is very much like the sound of a pebble against metal; and (2) I sometimes feel a little resistance when sliding the door.

My questions:

(i) Is it safe for me to ignore this? In other words, will the door be damaged by being slid repeatedly over this pebble.

(ii) If it's not safe, roughly how much would it cost to get the problem fixed?

Do you know someone physically strong enough to lift a sliding door, or two people?

There should be no reason to have to pay someone, maybe ask a family member or friend if there is no one in the house to do it.

They can be lifted out of the groove surprisingly easily once they are unlocked. Do not try it on your own unless you are confident you have the strength!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its quite likely that the wheels/bearings have worn and if it is that it will only get worse. The door will have to be lifted out of its slot and new bearings or wheels fitted. I had that job done and it cost me €80, which I considered a bargain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had a quite large sliding door that stuck like that. Two guys came out from a door and window fixing service and did their best to lift the door out of the slot but couldn't for some reason. You'll have to get this guy to do it they said and gave me a card. This guy came and on his own just lifted (well more than just I suppose, he gave it some welly :D) the door out of the slot, replaced the bearings and popped it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You may have to get professional assistance and ultimately replace bearings but I would try to lift door out first and see if it is just a stone.

I would act on it one way or another rather than just leave it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I f you can get a piece of stiff wire which is a bit longer than the door you may be able to dislodge the pebble.
    Wire about the diameter of a coat hanger is what you are looking for. It's used for fencing, a farmer might have a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement