Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Is Your Favourite Dessert?

• 11-11-2017 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Usually when I go out for a meal or even having dinner at home I like my favourite dessert which is trffle. My mam used to give us triffle or jelly and custard when we were young after our Sunday dinner. I know these are plain and simple when looking at what is on the menu these days when you go out to a restaurant for a meal so I was wondering what your favourite dessert is? Maybe you can give me some names of your favourites and I can try them when i'm going out in future for a meal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sahara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Sahara.

Post that in the desert thread please please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Black forest gateaux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Crumble with loads of custard, and or sticky toffee pudding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ice cream selection without the coffee flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it's done properly, it's hard to beat a Crème Brule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Chocolate fudge cake

Bailey's cheesecake

Swiss Roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Cheesecake. . .eton mess. . . .roulade. . . .apple pie. . . .tiramisu. . . .

ah screw it, all of it

Except custard :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

:)Following your edit I recommend a nice slice of Humble Pie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Dont always have dessert. If at home i like strawberries or bananas and cream.

If I'm out, I'd usually have chocolate fudge cake or else apple pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

elperello wrote: »

Which derives from Umble Pie but it's a main course rather than a dessert.

I had a Rhubarb Jelly as part of a Rhubarb based symphony of desserts once and it was incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I couldn’t have a favourite ... there is just too much good stuff. Try the following:

Cheesecake (lemon or lime would be my favs)
    Apple or rubarb crumble
    Apple or rubarb tart
    Churros
    Lemon tart

I wouldn’t be a big fan of chocolate desserts but if you’re trying to broaden your horizons give some of them a go as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

A Curly wurly and a cup a tae

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Apple tart and cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

All of them.

Cheesecake
    Tirimasu
    Banoffee
    Key Lime Pie
    (All homemade)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Baked Alaska

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I know a man who went on a first date with a young woman who seemed nice enough but a bit full of herself. She was a off hand with the waitress taking their order and was making comments about other diners dress sense. He ordered chicken for the main course and she gave him a lecture about how he should expand his culinary palate and how some people never go outside their comfort zone with food and would be happy to eat bacon and cabbage for the rest of their lives and was quite condescending. The same girl had been to Spain twice on a beach holiday and that was the sum total of her world experience. The man, on the other hand has travelled extensively and experienced many different cuisines,he just fancied the chicken that night.
    Anyway, he decided he had enough of the notions so when the waitress came and listed the dessert options he put on a thick country accent and said " jaysus they sound fierce fancy,,would ye have any jelly and icecream".
    He said the look on the girls face was worth the price of the dinner and the lack of a second date.

To answer your question. ...I like all desserts as long as they are made at the restaurant, hate the bought in stuff.

elperello wrote: »
    Thanks for that but I have to reject it as i'm not long after finishing my bowl of triffle and I wouln'd like to have spoilt the precious moment by taking up your offer of eating a slice of humble pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

fineso.mom wrote: »

To answer your question. ...I like all desserts as long as they are made at the restaurant, hate the bought in stuff.

I dunno about that,:) I'm partial to a nice fresh out of the back of the van dessert myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Post that in the desert thread please please.

Apologies, I was wearing a towel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Banoffee pie, always!

fineso.mom wrote: »
    I know a man who went on a first date with a young woman who seemed nice enough but a bit full of herself. She was a off hand with the waitress taking their order and was making comments about other diners dress sense. He ordered chicken for the main course and she gave him a lecture about how he should expand his culinary palate and how some people never go outside their comfort zone with food and would be happy to eat bacon and cabbage for the rest of their lives and was quite condescending. The same girl had been to Spain twice on a beach holiday and that was the sum total of her world experience. The man, on the other hand has travelled extensively and experienced many different cuisines,he just fancied the chicken that night.
    Anyway, he decided he had enough of the notions so when the waitress came and listed the dessert options he put on a thick country accent and said " jaysus they sound fierce fancy,,would ye have any jelly and icecream".
    He said the look on the girls face was worth the price of the dinner and the lack of a second date.

Fair play to him for putting her back in her box. As i said at the beginning of the thread triffle was and still is my favourite and only if it's on the menu when i go for a meal or if it's home made. I have tried other desserts such as cheese cake with cream, bandanna split with syrup which is my second choice and sticky toffee pudding with custard poured over it. So I do like to try other desserts if my favourites aren't on the menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Any cheesecake, but Ferrero Rocher cheesecake is the nicest I've ever tasted. I'm happy with just about any dessert though unless it has banana in it.

Apologies, I was wearing a towel.
    No apolige needed if I had checked the heading the first time round I wouln'd have had to go and start a second thread. At least this one might survive longer than the first one.

buried wrote: »
    A Curly wurly and a cup a tae
    You can't beat a good aul curly wurly with a cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

Any flavoured Cheesecake,
    Trifle especially when I'm at home,
    Chocolate cake with cream not ice cream,
    Vanilla ice cream when out or at home,
    Raspberry ripple ice cream with chocolate and sprinkles when at home,
    Custard, cream and sprinkles,
    Love a bit of Victoria sponge with extra cream,
    Profiteroles with chocolate sauce and cream.
    and A supermac's 99 covered in sprinkles.

When asked would I like cream or ice cream, it has to be cream and I prefer my ice cream when it is nearly melting not straight out of the freezer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Fck sweet stuff after a meal .....Cheese is the way to go!!!!

All cheese especially dirty smelly blue cheese, drizzled with honey yummmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Eton Mess

Or my own Ginger Nut Pineapple Surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

anewme wrote: »
    Fck sweet stuff after a meal .....Cheese is the way to go!!!!

All cheese especially dirty smelly blue cheese, drizzled with honey yummmmm
    No sweet stuff eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No sweet stuff eh?

If there's honey with the cheeseboard, I count it as officially a dessert.

Otherwise, crackers and relish!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommy Ferguson

Pink snack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sherry trifle

branie2 wrote: »
    Sherry trifle
    My favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Rhubarb crumble.

• Advertisement

Usually when I go out for a meal or even having dinner at home I like my favourite dessert which is trffle. My mam used to give us triffle or jelly and custard when we were young after our Sunday dinner.

We only ever had trifle at Christmas in my house, and everytime someone would mention it, my dad would roar "WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! I'M A TRIFLE DEAF!" He's a master of dad jokes. I love trifle, but it's probably more the association than the taste.

My favourites are lemon or vanilla cheesecake, or death by chocolate. What a way to go. Honorable mention to a good creme brulee, but it's hard to find a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

At home is Fresh fruit salad with a dropeen of Sherry, whipped cream and a scoop of Vanilla ice cream or Bread and Butter pudding.

Dining out is nearly always Death by chocolate if it's on the menu or Lemon cheesecake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Creme Brulee always comes top for me as long as its done right.
    White chocolate cheesecake
    Apple pie of some sort as long as its free from feckin cinnamon.

Candie wrote: »
    We only ever had trifle at Christmas in my house, and everytime someone would mention it, my dad would roar "WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! I'M A TRIFLE DEAF!" He's a master of dad jokes. I love trifle, but it's probably more the association than the taste.

My favourites are lemon or vanilla cheesecake, or death by chocolate. What a way to go. Honorable mention to a good creme brulee, but it's hard to find a good one.

Yeah we only ever have it at Christmas too. My dad doesn't make that awful joke.. he sticks to this awful one every single year...

Looks at the Brussels sprouts and says "mams made a balls of the cabbage!"
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Warm apple pie with ice cream yum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Oh Sweet Devine !

OP, as if starting this thread wasnt bad enough you then go and add the "T" word.

You ought to be banned untill such time as you have finished the bowl :)

But seriously, would that be what in times past was called Cunard Trifle ( though Google does not seem to know about it ) - you know the one with ground almonds and all.

Luchino Visconti had a passion for trifle ( or so Dirk Bogarde wrote in one of his autobiographies - the one where he describes the making of Death in Venice ) . Apparently the I. Ties call it "Zuppa Inglese"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Homemade lemon tart, homemade vanilla ice cream made from pods not some sh!t essence, homemade tiramisu (hard to get right but worth it).

Chocolate fudge cake or banoffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 HumbleBumble

I love pecan pie or warm apple pie with ice cream melting over the top! Yummy!

Yeah we only ever have it at Christmas too. My dad doesn't make that awful joke.. he sticks to this awful one every single year...

Looks at the Brussels sprouts and says "mams made a balls of the cabbage!"
    :(

I'll tell him that one, see where he takes it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Meringue in any shape Eton mess, roulade, pavlova
    Banoffie

Then the rest in no particular order.
    Apple crumble and ice cream and cream
    Red velvet cake
    Choc fudge
    Cheesecake
    Profiteroles mmmm forgot about them
    Jelly and ice cream

Wait pretty much all desserts except carrot cake. Don’t care what anyone says carrot is not a dessert. Just because it has cake in it does not mean it is a dessert. (Potato cake, fish cake for example)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Chocolate fudge cake or sticky toffee pudding. I like my desserts to be heavy. My husband always gets ice cream, does my head in. Treat yourself, bit of ice cream is a sh*te dessert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Irish coffee, with a shot of Baileys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Banoffi is the only dessert I can't say I love because if it has ripe bananas then bleeeeuuuugggghhhhhhhh. Under ripe then yum.

I love all other desserts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

If they can't be homemade, sundaes are the way forward. Big tall glass full of sauce, ice cream, bits of brownies and nuts. Definitely for big kids :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement