Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRELAND Vs SOUTH AFRICA match thread

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Basil3 wrote: »
    mfceiling wrote: »
    I posted at the time it was the coolest thing I've ever seen on a pitch. 99% of any other players are running towards that ball, jumping and taking that ball....not RK!!

I need to change my mindset.

My thinking on that first kick: "Jaysus, what a pathetic, aimless kick. Straight to Kearney and under no pressure."

Someone watching from another perspective: "Oh my God, RK is so cool! So casual under pressure! His positioning is amazing, he didn't even have to move for that kick."

:pac:

Now you’re getting it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Basil3 wrote: »
    I need to change my mindset.

My thinking on that first kick: "Jaysus, what a pathetic, aimless kick. Straight to Kearney and under no pressure."

Someone watching from another perspective: "Oh my God, RK is so cool! So casual under pressure! His positioning is amazing, he didn't even have to move for that kick."

:pac:
    You missed the bit where he used the force to make that kick come to him. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I can't really put into words why that take was so impressive to me. I don't think the video does it justice. It was just a massive bamboozle. The way he approached the ball was as if the whistle had gone and play was stopped, it threw off the SA chaser completely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

True it's speculative but there was a lot of good names amount the three named teams.

It does excellently highlight the scale the player drain facing South African rugby which I believe is the main problem faced by the springboks.

They have tried to address this by allowing players with more than 30 caps who are playing outside the country to be selected, however when it comes to Rugby World Cup year, then everyone is eligible. Not sure if they are going to look to change that - the weakness of the rand is an issue as well as the racial quotas

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I can't really put into words why that take was so impressive to me. I don't think the video does it justice. It was just a massive bamboozle. The way he approached the ball was as if the whistle had gone and play was stopped, it threw off the SA chaser completely.

Must have annoyed the **** out of the SA kickers too. Perfect way to throw them off their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If there's a closeup shot of Kearney casually waiting for the ball there needs to be a Thug Life version.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

If there's a closeup shot of Kearney casually waiting for the ball there needs to be a Thug Life version.

Practising his disdain for such kicks in 6n 2016

26A4F56D00000578-0-image-m-34_1426555272642.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

To be honest for me it's just to do with how you can risk being so relaxed in an international test match. I get nervy fielding a high ball when there's no one at a game... imagine it being a test match? I've seen him do similar things, where he positions his hands before the ball even starts coming down, and the ball just slots into the mitts.

It wasn't the poor kick that made it, but the fact he had his hands by his sides and his legs straight a millisecond before he catches the ball goes against everything your thought as a back... in a test match...

I
    Also thought the whistle had gone the way he was acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

.ak wrote: »
    To be honest for me it's just to do with how you can risk being so relaxed in an international test match. I get nervy fielding a high ball when there's no one at a game... imagine it being a test match? I've seen him do similar things, where he positions his hands before the ball even starts coming down, and the ball just slots into the mitts.

It wasn't the poor kick that made it, but the fact he had his hands by his sides and his legs straight a millisecond before he catches the ball goes against everything your thought as a back... in a test match...

I
    Also thought the whistle had gone the way he was acting.

Which is all very impressive in its own right.

The fact he completely misjudged another ball presenting SA with a clear cut try scoring opportunity, that Henshaw had to tidy up, takes the gloss away somewhat.

• Advertisement

The fact he completely misjudged another ball presenting SA with a clear cut try scoring opportunity, that Henshaw had to tidy up, takes the gloss away somewhat.
    Oh! I know this one, I know this one! ;)

I challenge anyone to catch that ball. It came off the deck at a shallow angle at speed. He actually got the angle right, but the speed beat him. If that's the stick you're going to beat him with, it's a pretty small one.

The fact that Henshaw dropped a pass under zero pressure I'm sure is something you are holding over him just as much though as well yeah?

molloyjh wrote: »
    The fact that Henshaw dropped a pass under zero pressure I'm sure is something you are holding over him just as much though as well yeah?

I would reference it if I had reason to sing his praises for catching another ball.

Context is the key!😉

I would reference it if I had reason to sing his praises for catching another ball.

Context is the key!��

Nah, you're just looking to have a go. He made a mistake. So what. Quite a few did on the day. You're in no rush to hold anyone else to the same standards. When people were talking up Hendersons performance where were your comments on his dropped passes?

Context is the key!��
    So, just to get this straight then. No praise should be given if there's an equally unpraiseworthy performance point.

What's the equivalence? Do the two casual fieldings add up to the missed ball? Or is it one to one? Or was that it for the match?

Nah, you're just looking to have a go. He made a mistake. So what. Quite a few did on the day. You're in no rush to hold anyone else to the same standards. When people were talking up Hendersons performance where were your comments on his dropped passes?

Nope. I would always look for a balanced view on any performance. I wasn't online when the praise for Henderson took place. I can't remember the specific dropped ball you are talking about so I wouldn't have raised it. I did point out he nearly prevented our first try by tackling his own man, but I just thought that was funny more than anything else.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    So, just to get this straight then. No praise should be given if there's an equally unpraiseworthy performance point.

What's the equivalence? Do the two casual fieldings add up to the missed ball? Or is it one to one? Or was that it for the match?

Nope, I agree he deserved some praise for the catches. I said "Which is all very impressive in its own right." I then pointed out a different action in the game that showed the fact he could " risk being so relaxed in an international test match" may have been a downfall at that stage and may not be entirely a good thing.

CONTEXT!

• Advertisement

If ye are trying to bundle me in with the TOH crowd .... don't.
    I have no strong opinion on whether he should have been there or not.

Particularly given the performances Stockdale and Conway put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The high ball catches were impressive for how nonchalant he was. For me it was up there with Zebo's heel flick or NMS' behind the back pass and dozens of other things like that, that are outrageous pieces of skill but are just so natural to these players.

The catch he missed that Henshaw cleaned up was a completely different situation. He was running towards a bouncing ball and it got past him. Every person who has ever played rugby has been beaten by a bouncing at some stage. I've seen better players than RK get made to look foolish by a bouncing rugby ball.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    The high ball catches were impressive for how nonchalant he was. For me it was up there with Zebo's heel flick or NMS' behind the back pass and dozens of other things like that, that are outrageous pieces of skill but are just so natural to these players.

The catch he missed that Henshaw cleaned up was a completely different situation. He was running towards a bouncing ball and it got past him. Every person who has ever played rugby has been beaten by a bouncing at some stage. I've seen better players than RK get made to look foolish by a bouncing rugby ball.

Fair enough. My thoughts are :
    If he wasn't sure he shouldn't have committed and left the team so exposed. Therefore it was an error in judgement.

If he was sure - then it was a more straight forward error in judgement.

I figured errors in judgement should be highlighted when coupled with casual/nonchalant play.

Over and out.

Nope, I agree he deserved some praise for the catches. I said "Which is all very impressive in its own right." I then pointed out a different action in the game that showed the fact he could " risk being so relaxed in an international test match" may have been a downfall at that stage and may not be entirely a good thing.

CONTEXT!

Exactly. Context.

Completely different situations where he wasn't a bit nonchalant in the one you're castigating him for. Ran forward to catch a ball that was bouncing just past the defensive line. He absolutely had to go for it. The bounce caught him out.

Fair enough. My thoughts are :
    If he wasn't sure he shouldn't have committed and left the team so exposed. Therefore it was an error in judgement.

If he was sure - then it was a more straight forward error in judgement.

I figured errors in judgement should be highlighted when coupled with casual/nonchalant play.

Over and out.

It wasn't an error in judgement though. He was in the right place at the right time but the ball just bounced slightly awkwardly. That happens a lot in rugby. To lots of players. It's a completely normal thing.

It's perfectly okay for people to say good things about a player without the need for someone else to come along and crap all over it. Very few, if any, claimed Rob had a particularly good performance so it's not like people have ignored the overall context of his display. I just don't get why you would need to start bringing up complaints about a player who has been on the receiving end of endless complaint already as soon as some people start saying something positive about his performance. There is no need for it at all.

• Advertisement

I've never seen anything other than sympathy for a player beaten by the bounce of a ball. Commentary usually is 'unlucky bounce' rather than 'bad attempt'.

It's part of rugby.

Exactly. Context.

Completely different situations where he wasn't a bit nonchalant in the one you're castigating him for. Ran forward to catch a ball that was bouncing just past the defensive line. He absolutely had to go for it. The bounce caught him out.
    It's perfectly okay for people to say good things about a player without the need for someone else to come along and crap all over it.

You wha?? Castigating??? and crap all over???

Will ye chill out.

I said the missed ball took the gloss off the two impressive catches.
    That's hardly castigating or crapping all over the guy.

As well as acknowledging the catches, I also referenced the performances he got out of Conway and Stockdale.

I'm sure Rob would have had the exact same comments after his performance as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Missed tackles, aimless running, generally ineffective. But he made two catches with the very essence of nonchalance. So he’s brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Missed tackles, aimless running, generally ineffective. But he made two catches with the very essence of nonchalance. So he’s brilliant.

1 missed tackle. His returning of kicks was very much to plan and was very effective, he cleared out Louw in the build up to Ruddocks try and ran some excellent dummy lines to create space out wide a few times.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Please shoot me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Can you give us examples of these things? They were obviously so common that it should be easy. Back up your claims with evidence.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    1 missed tackle. His returning of kicks was very much to plan and was very effective, he cleared out Louw in the build up to Ruddocks try and ran some excellent dummy lines to create space out wide a few times.
    Don't bother. All this has been said over and over again.

The proof of the pudding is in the selection. If somebody better comes along, they'll be selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Don't bother. All this has been said over and over again.

The proof of the pudding is in the selection. If somebody better comes along, they'll be selected.

He was ...viva la France ;)

He was ...viva la France ;)
    That's been discussed to death too. You won't draw me in that easily. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Great win. Beating SA by 35 points, wahey. Team for the most part played superbly. But, did anyone else think Kearney had a dodgy game?

Mod: All jokes aside, time for the endless cycle of RK posts to die. Move on folks

• Advertisement
Advertisement