Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRELAND Vs SOUTH AFRICA match thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Interesting reading the report coming from sport24, based in South Africa - Ireland out-think, out-smart bumbling Boks was the headline

That's pretty spot on for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Burkie1203 wrote:
    Conway scored 1 and was involved in 2 other tries. Really impressive stuff. Stockdale didnt look like a guy on his third cap.

Up there with the best Irish performances I’ve ever seen. Every single Irish player utterly outperformed their counterparts.

The non Irish lads did well too

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

That was magnificent. Couldn't be happier, we've just clinically put away one of the traditional SH big 3.

Traditional being the operative word, South Africa seem like a side in trouble - smashed 57-0 against New Zealand in September, but got to within a point at home. Looks like a pattern that they don't travel well - their game against France next week will be interesting to watch as I'd expect some sort of response

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Savage performance

Thing is it really wasn't. At least it wasn't for 70 minutes. We made tonnes of simple errors in the game. We didn't need to be great of course and its first game of the season so....

SA are in danger of becoming a tier 2 nation if their problems (there are many) aren't addressed.

Can't be understated just what that game will do for Stockdale. His defensive reads pleased me most.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

liam7831 wrote: »

South Africa were crap

What was the story with the jerseys though

Joe seemed happy on Sky, but politely said SA were crap - jaded at the end of their season.

They were crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Apparently when we beat New Zealand we got to keep the jerseys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Don't think they did. Etzebeth was quiet and not many of the others did much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    South Africa were crap
    They played really well in their last test against NZ. I was expecting something similar tbh. Scrum half was very slow, but we messed up their ball a lot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

prawnsambo wrote: »
    They played really well in their last test against NZ. I was expecting something similar tbh. Scrum half was very slow, but we messed up their ball a lot.

That was at home, and NZ only won the game in the last 10 minutes - however they were thumped 57-0 in New Zealand the month before. Don't travel well perhaps?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Don't think they did. Etzebeth was quiet and not many of the others did much.

I think they meant Stander and Aki

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Tell ya what, Stander made the right call all those years ago. Had he stayed in SA and made it to international level he'd be on the other side of that hockeying.

That was at home, and NZ only won the game in the last 10 minutes - however they were thumped 57-0 in New Zealand the month before. Don't travel well perhaps?
    They don't. Or at least that's what the stats say. One away win in ten iirc.

That's eleven now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Hilarious that the alternate jersey was essentially designed for only this match (I cant think of any other international team Ireland might play at home with a clashing green jersey), and they still didn't make it distinct enough from the SA colours!

Subpopulus wrote: »
    Tell ya what, Stander made the right call all those years ago. Had he stayed in SA and made it to international level he'd be on the other side of that hockeying.

He wouldn't have been really - he would have been working on the farm. Meyer wanted him to convert to hooker, and it ended up that the situation boiled down to two options - him moving or going working on the family farm

I think World Rugby need to see that and give us the World Cup now - forget about the others!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Great performance.

Inevitable that Erasmus will be a shoo in for the Saffers job now.

Schmidt for Taoiseach, president, and new lead singer of u2 .... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yes. Best, Henderson, Stockdale and Herring were all good.;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

e37.png

I suspect we won't hear much more from O'Gara and others about a solution "needing" to be found for Zebo to be in an Irish squad.

I wouldn't disrespect the guy by going 'Simon who?' , but the reality of available options are that, yes it would be nice to have access to him, but really he wont be missed.

Chris Farrell to come in next week too probably, the back five riches keep growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Whoosh......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Delighted for Stockdale, anyone who read the interview with him in the irish times today will know how much that meant to him. Great performances from Aki and Conway too. All in all not many negatives, a few slips from Henshaw maybe. Zebo wasn't really missed it seems.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Delighted for Stockdale, anyone who read the interview with him in the irish times today will know how much that meant to him. Great performances from Aki and Conway too. All in all not many negatives, a few slips from Henshaw maybe. Zebo wasn't really missed it seems.

Zebo wasn't missed at all......I wasn't expecting that. Conway, Stockdale and Sweetnam all v good indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

vienne86 wrote: »
    Zebo wasn't missed at all......I wasn't expecting that. Conway, Stockdale and Sweetnam all v good indeed.

I have Stockdale down on my sheet for team of the tournament in 2023. That said I was pleasantly surprised by both Conway and Sweetnam.

I have Stockdale down on my sheet for team of the tournament in 2023. That said I was pleasantly surprised by both Conway and Sweetnam.
    Conway is a tough customer. Throws himself into everything and plays a very tidy game. Sweetnam really stood out for me in that little cameo on the ground. That's the kinnd of thing Joe absolutely loves, working hard for the team in a situation where other players would just turn over possession without a fight.

Stockdale is a beast. He runs like a gazelle and fends like a bull. I was reminded of Shaggy running over Andrew Strettle in Lansdowne Road all those years ago. But with added beast mode.

Joe deserves huge credit for his picks and how he gets players so invested in the way he wants the game played.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Is Joe Schmidt the best coach in the world or am I drunk (i am)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Bit of column A, bit of column B

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Stockdale. Real deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Half time...OMG...are soccer fans the most easily pleased bunch , or am i still drunk on rugby...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Just home from the game. Nothing to say about my team.
    Well done Ireland, best team won.

Joe obviously put a lot of thought into how Ireland should play today......and then the players executed his plan very well indeed. Credit due to coach and players alike.

He has kinda revolutionised irish rugby though?

Gimme someone thats better than Schmidt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What I noticed today is that ireland are finally becoming cynical.

There was a few moments of holding jerseys, legs etc to stop SA players get back into their defensive lines. Also the amount of times the ref had to shout "leave it now (insert number)"....basically holding on or sticking in a hand somewhere it shouldn't have been and thus slowing down the ruck ball. That's what has been missing from our play for years.
    Pity ulster couldn't pick up a bit of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

I hear we are wearing white jerseys next week

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Stockdale was my MOTM today, or at least very close to it. Great news for Ireland, but a bit sad that he's basically fast-tracking himself to playing 5 games a year for Ulster and spending most weekends watching games on his couch.

• Advertisement

typhoony wrote: »
    I hear we are wearing white jerseys next week

Fiji play in white

awec wrote: »
    Stockdale was my MOTM today, or at least very close to it. Great news for Ireland, but a bit sad that he's basically fast-tracking himself to playing 5 games a year for Ulster and spending most weekends watching games on his couch.
    Every silver lining has a cloud. :pac:

You can always store up the outrage for the inevitable day when Dave Kearney is selected ahead of him. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

awec wrote: »

Most internations play more than 5 provincial games a season. If you said 5 league games a year for Ulster I might agree with you. There are first choice internationals that have already played 5 games this season.

Fiji play in white

zactly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Fiji play in white

You need to tune your sarcasm detector! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Now?

joey-carbery-celebrates-winning-6-752x501.jpg

Why not move to connect and play 10 all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Anyone know if there are highlights on TV for today's games?

Say cheese Bundee :)

bundee-aki.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Fiji play in white
    Oh deary me......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Fiji play in white

Twice in one night, that had to be deliberate?

Advertisement