Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potty training

Options
  • 11-11-2017 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all

We started potty training our LG last weekend who has just turned 2.

Usual accidents etc but is now very into it-had 2 accidents at creche yesterday (pee ones) and has had none so far today so we think she's doing great

The only thing is I think she's hanging onto her pooh. She'd normally have gone once a day but didn't like doing those at all over the weekend or the few days afterwards. She'd get very upset hanging onto her tummy and eventually went under protest (some in potty and some not)

She now hasn't gone since Wednesday which is really unlike her-doesn't seem to be in any distress unlike the first few days but it's definitely not normal for her so I think she's managing to just hang onto them and am afraid she's going to get really constipated and it will be even worse

Have tried giving her orange juice which she never had before-I thought she'd love it but she hates it!

Would really welcome any tips or advice if anybody has had anything similar!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I used bribery !!
    My little boy - same age
    decided he wasnt going to wear nappies anymore :rolleyes:

I would give him a sweetie if he did a poo in a potty
    His sweetie is an apricot ( helps in that department too :D)

I know people who will give their kids a nappy just to poo in until they get the hang of going in the potty

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Holding on to poo is very damaging for them. Two is also extremely young. If she initiated this herself like the previous posters child then I'd offer her a nappy to poop in. If not id stop training and wait for other signs of readiness. Constipation and holding is very hard habit to break if she learns it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Of my son was going against things for me, I'd encourage him by putting on cartoons he liked while on the toilet. But in fairness, only really got him focused on it in the run up to turning 3. Before that, it was only really establishing familiarity with going to the toilet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yeah we had that issue.Lots of fruit, water and running around out and about to get it come naturally.Where it went when it came, well we tried sitting on the potty in front of the TV for a while which helped, but the toilet was a much slower process.
    I won't lie it took months to get it.By that i mean she would do it in her underwear. lately I resorted to bribery and she's got it now but a bit of me felt it has also come with age.....she just didn't know the sensation.Even still she setimes still isn't 100% sure when she has done wind or a poo (altho one tends to follow the other!!).We started at just about 2.5 and it was only when she got to 3 that I really felt she suddenly got the poo thing.
    To be fair just turned 2 is quite young.I would really settle in for the long haul on this, it is going to take a long time, so try not to put too much pressure on her if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

Thanks all for the helpful tips

She has had a really successful day today without a single accident so I definitely think she's ready and was showing plenty of signs of readiness beforehand or I wouldn't have started

Also had a very small poo-not as big as she usually would but it was soft (apologies for the TMI! :) ) and not forced so hopefully it was just a funny couple of days where she was deciding to hold on and has now decided to play ball!

Bribes and potty definitely seem to work. She's also spontaneously wandered over and sat down herself a few times today to pee so I think we're going to get there.

Am going to just focus on the potty for now and not get too hung up about starting on the toilet but will get to that soon so she hopefully makes the transition ok

Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement